1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Show Mod's url on server's description

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by bru-jaz, Nov 2, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

This doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's a pain in the ass.
    Every time I want to join a server with a mod that I don't have, I have to wait 10 mins for the files to download from the game (the heavier are the .ogg).
    I have 30mbits/s internet, which isn't great but isn't bad either. I could easily download the mods from my browser and then copy the files on kag folder in <1min.
    My suggestion is, since the masterserver contacts kag's mod repository on the web (or whatever) to download the files, could you make it so the link on the mod also appears next to the "Mods used: xxx"?
    This would stop people like me to desist trying new servers because the 10min waiting time.
    And also, please dont come with the "I dont have that problem = i live a couple of miles away from the server host" argument. This is a suggestion for people far away from the place of the host.

joshua12131415 likes this.
  2. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

You're probably referring to Territory Control, which is not hosted on the API, so it wouldn't be possible to give a download link.
    I thought mods registered on the API could be distributed through the THD servers, but it does not seem like it is implemented yet? (sorry for misinforming @TFlippy :p)
    Considering Shadlington seems to be behind at least part of the API mod work and is now inactive, it would be up to another developer to implement it into the KAG mod downloader, because it would work differently than how mods are currently sent from servers to clients.
    Another solution would be to make mod sending behave the same way as API mods, i.e. through HTTP(S) I guess? To be honest, I have no clue how the API code works since I don't have/need access to it anyway.

Though, I do not know if the mod downloading slowdown in your case is due to the host's upload bandwidth or if it's due to inefficient file sending. Possibly both.

bru-jaz likes this.
  3. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

What if mods were shipped out in .zip folders and kag could extract it? Would that make it download faster?
    EDIT: Download TC on vamist's discord server https://discord.gg/BPGM6Q. I'm not sure if it's the latest version tho

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Thanks both of you for the replies.
    I wasn't talking particularly about TC, because there are other medium-heavy sized mods like those "sandbox", zombie, archer blahblah with fancy names which i don't quite remember. Also Char's server uses Gramophone (that needs a shit ton of music clips).
    Sorry if it was a mad suggestion. I know nothing about Api, papi pipapipi. I just thought KAG connected to a master server that was kind of related with the forum's repository on the web.
    It must be related with downloading files from the game, so i think i pick the second one?
    The same thing happened to me with team fortress/counterstrike/half life mod resources. The files needed for special gamemodes and maps took AGES to download, even from servers on my country. But it took seconds to download from web sites like FPS banana, which have its servers on the US (i think).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

The mod sender already compresses files, though individually. The issue might be idle time during which no download is done because the server is waiting for the client's request, though I didn't really look at that part of the code yet so I can't confirm it.

Mods: Rainbows