1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Some Constructive Criticism [Forum]

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by Wired, May 5, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Wired

Wired Liberated Signature Monkey Donator

WALL OF TEXT INBOUND!

So after being around the forums for a short time I came up with a few suggestions. I know these are just other ways of doing things but I would like to know your guys opinions on them.
    1. Specialized Forum Rules:
      • Ignore this whole section if we already have them. But after some searching I have been unable to find a set of rules just for the forum.
      • So, lacking a set of rules for the forums seem like a thing that need fixing. Since every forum need rules.
      • So I was thinking something like the Terraria Online Rules System. Utelizing the XenForo warning system to in force the rules.
    2. Suggestion Forum Archive:
      • So after milling around the Suggestion forum a bit I thought there should be a place to send all those pesky locked threads, so in the Archive section have a Inactive/Locked Suggestions (Name pending) forum. Where mods can send suggestion that have been inactive for <1month or have been locked. Every post in that forum would be locked and a PM sent to the OP of the suggestion when it is moved. The OP would be able to request there suggestion moved back into the active discussion if they wanted.
    3. A List Of Staff And There Jobs.
      • This falls under rules list also, but for a new member of the forums it is hard to differentiate between all the different staff. If it's the forum melon, the KAG guard etc. So maybe just add this to the rules to clear things up a bit.
      • Another possibility, remove the KAG guard from the staff online panel. Since correct me if I'm wrong, but they have no forum powers. So let them have there title and reference them in the staff list but don't have them appearing as staff (On the forums) Since it just add to the mix up of who is forum staff and who isn't.
    4. Category Moving Around.
      1. Split the Announcements section into 2 sections
        • Developer Announcements
        • Forums Announcements
        • I thought this would just help people sort through which announcement they want.
      2. Move "Help!" & partially "Forum & Wiki" into a section called "Help & Support"
        • So help seemed a bit out of place in the general KAG section so I thought why not move it, and split it into to sub forums. "In-game Support" which would consist of bugs, and other in game needs. E.g "Can't place X" or "How do I switch class" and then another section within "Help & Support" called "Forum Feedback & Help" this would be a place for anything to do with the forums etc. And last but not least "Tech support" a place to ask all the techy questions you need eg. "Why can't I run KAG" & "KAG not starting" or "How to host server?"
        • It would look a little like this.
          • Help & Support
            • In-game Support
            • Forum Feedback & Help
            • Tech Support
      3. Create a new section called Creative.
        • There seems to be a lack of place for the creative folk to hang out, so I was thinking why not give them a sub section called "Creative" (Name pending)
        • This section would include "Fan Art" (I know there is already a art sub section BTW) with the sub section "In-game builds" also "Fan Fics" with the sub section "Role Play" and "Videos" with the sub section "Lets Plays"
        • It would look something like this.
          • Creative
            • Fan Art
              • In-game builds.
            • Fan Fics
              • Role Play
            • Videos
              • Lets Plays
    5. Rename The Spamcan.
      • Maybe just re name it forum games. To make it more clear.
    Disclaimer: Most of these points will likely be invalid due to my lack of knowledge on how these forums work. But it's just a few suggestions from some one new. Feel free to disect all my points and explain why they wouldn't work but be kind.

TLDR: Suggestions for the forum. Most of which are likely invalid since the OP's lacking knowledge of the forum.

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

1.) https://forum.kag2d.com/help/terms although for some reason there isn't a link to it from the ribbons.
    2.) I guess that'd be okay. Personally only locked threads would go there, inactive ones can be stay where they are so people don't post the same ideas again.
    3.) Well there are different categorizations. Although I guess it should be made more obvious somewhere. Global Moderators and Forum Moderators have a ribbon as you see under my avatar. Forum Moderators have a ribbon that says "Forum Moderator" and Global Moderators have one that say "Global Moderator". The Dev team have a ribbon that says "KAG Team" and they also have a purple name. KAG Guards have Green names.
    4.) I guess that would make it more obvious. I can't really say much though since I don't moderate that section.
    5.) Well Spamcan isn't just forum games, it's also holds stupid polling threads like "Which person do you like the most". Basically it contains dumb threads and forum games.

delankski likes this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Showing guards as 'staff' is a bit strangely misleading in a way but it depends in how you see the word staff in this context.

4. Wired

Thanks for reading it all :).
    1. Maybe have a link in the announcements or just a simple copy and paste. Since that's where people seem to check where rules are. Or make an actual post in the announcements with a formatted rules with a staff list etc and then a link to the rules in the top bar.
    2. Yeh, that makes sense to keep the inactive ones.
    3. Yeh, like you said make it more obvious. Maybe a list in the rules.
    4. Well I guess all that is up to the mods for those respective sections, and ultimately the admins.
    5. Oh sorry I miss under stood the use for that section. The description is a bit miss leading on that part. Maybe change it to "This is where we send the junk" or something.
    Just some thoughts on the rules:
    I think it's a bit vague here. Maybe set up an actual warning system. So breaking X rule will give you X amount of warning points. And if you have prokent he rule X times you will get X extra points.

Then X points is a 3 day ban.
    X points is a month ban.
    X points is a perma ban.

Something like this maybe:
    Single Word Post Warnings
    • Single Word Post: 1 warning point. 1 Week expiration. (For first offence)
    • Single Word Post Second Offence: 2 points. 1 month expiration.
    • Single Word Post Third Offence: 3 points. 2 month expiration.
    • Single Word Post Fourth+ Offence: 5 points: 3 month expiration.
    Double Post Warning
    • Double Post: 1 warning point. 1 Week expiration. (Usually for first offence)
    • Double Post Second Offence: 2 points. 1 month expiration.
    • Double Post Third Offence: 3 points. 2 month expiration.
    • Double Post Fourth+ Offence: 5 points: 3 month expiration.
    Trolling/Racism/Sexism/Homophobia Warnings
    • Trolling/Racism/Sexism/Homophobia : 1 warning point. 1 Week expiration. (usually for first offence)
    • Trolling/Racism/Sexism/Homophobia Second Offence: 2 points. 1 month expiration.
    • Trolling/Racism/Sexism/Homophobia Post Third Offence: 3 points. 2 month expiration.
    • Trolling/Racism/Sexism/Homophobia Fourth+ Offence: 5 points: 3 month expiration.
    Useless post
    • Useless post 1: 1 warning point. 1 Week expiration. (usually for first offence)
    • Useless post rank 2: 2 points. 1 month expiration.
    • Useless post rank 3: 3 points. 2 month expiration.
    Bans
    • 10 points at any time is a 3 day ban
    • 15 points at any time is a two week ban
    • 20 points at any time is a 1 moth ban
    • 25-30 points at any one time is a perma ban.
    Obviously that's just a quick draft.
    Also maybe use the content action tab to add a tag that anyone to see to a post to show when a warning has been given to that post? Just so users know if something has been delt with etc. (This may already be used and I just havn't seen it yet)

Maybe change this to: Post in English only, unless in the specific sub-section for a different language

That's true. But I assume the majority will see it as forum staff. This is why a staff list would be use full with a explanation of there roles. Fair enough with a bit of searching you can find out but just to make it more clear for new people.

Kouji and BlueLuigi like this.
  5. BlueLuigi

As a general FYI, I have suggested actual proper rules a long time ago (3-4 months now). They've literally been going over it this whole time and it's been so long I've lost interest in caring or reminding them about said rules and the community neeeding to be involved in their making, hopefully you can provide some input to them here, more people who legitimately care, the better, especially when those people aren't the enforcers of said rules who tend to be 'above' them as is commonly the case, and thus has little interest (there are a few) in how just they are. The bias quite literally comes with the job.

Kouji likes this.
  6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Yeah, as BlueLuigi said, rule changes have been suggested, but it's been really slow because certain people have been busy. Personally, I'd enjoy having everything made much more clear because it'd save me the trouble of explaining it to each person who asks.

7. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

1. I need to fix it so that rules show up in the Help dropdown. Don't know why they don't... Anyway, improvements to the rules are something that we were working on and then the interest in improving them dried up I guess. Suggestions are welcome.
    2. I don't see the point of this, quite frankly
    3. 'Guards' don't show up in the list. Forum moderators and admins do. It just so happens that 90%+ of the mods are guards. There are many guards that do not show up in the list.
    Anyway as far as forum staff go, there already is a list - the names of the moderators that are meant to focus on a given forum are listed on the forum list & inside each forum, at the top. We don't list THD staff & what they do here because this is the kag forums, if you want a 'proper' staff list you can find it on the kag2d.com website.
    4. You can already filter the announcements by clicking on the thread labels.
    I think moving forum & wiki like that would result in people not being able to find it.
    I make new forums/sub-forums based on interest - I don't think there is sufficient interest in a dedicated sub-forum for fan fics, for example, to warrant moving things around and creating a creative forum. I'm not 100% on that though, prove me wrong, by all means :)
    5. I like the name as it is ;)

Additionally, I want to make a note regarding rules + staff lists: We used to have several copies of these dotted around the forums which made them easier to find, but the problem with that is they got out of synch all the time as people would update one of them and forget about the others... I don't want to go back to that system, so whatever requires the least amount of changes to update is going to be the system we stick with, to be honest.

8. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

dunno why, but I read this...
    some nice work you did there!
    GIVE HIM A COOKIE!

9. Wired

1. Well, where exactly can I suggest changes to the rules etc. Or shall I just use this thread as a base, how about a forum feedback portal (Just one big mega thread) where we can concentrate all the minor feedback instead of spanning across multiple threads. Just an idea seemed to work well in many other communities I frequent. Also what where your thoughts on the comments I made about the rules in this post.
    2. It's just a organization thing, to clean stuff up a bit. It's not really a high priority.
    3. Yeh, sorry I figured that out a bit later on. It is still a bit of a confusion when there title is guard and you can't see the ribbons on the staff on line section or there profile.
    4. WARNING RAMBLE INCOMING!
      • I guess the announcement splitting is just a preference thing.
      • I'm pretty sure people would be able to find it if they just scrolled around a bit. But I guess it's a descision for you to make. I do think that it would be use full to at least split the help section into two subsections just for ease of use also IG help is starting to go into genral discussion like this & this.
      • As for the creative section, there may not be enough interest to warrant a change as of now but there probably will be in the future. So why not prepare now for the rush of users coming soon. (Since this is a very fast growing community) also as for the video section there are a few threads popping up all over with videos maybe it would be useful to actually give them a place. E.g Here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. But that probably isn't enough to warrant a change I'm just trying to think a head.
    5. I guess ultimately it's your decision if you like the name. But maybe make the description more clear on that it's not all forum games.
    You wouldn't need several copies of the staff list. Just one in the rules. It would just take a bit of work to create the list but then it could just be the one list to rule them all.

10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

a little more on-topic:
    I'd agree with Wired about the staff list!
    it took me a month before I knew who FLAB, MM, Geti, Shad, kouji, the kag guards, the melon, and some others are!
    how about a miniforum for newcomers? (same as with KAG, there are six or seven beginner servers)
    then you could post all information about the forum (staff list, rules, etc) there, and the mods would be able to help people who need it, instead of explaining everything to (literally) everyone!
    (I'm a mod on some other forum, so I know how that can be... terrible...)

Kouji likes this.
  11. Wired

That could work. But maybe it would be easier just to add a tutorial type deal to the rules, with links to useful threads what each section if for and then a staff list, but that would probably mean making a rules thread instead of just having it in the terms and rules section.

12. BlueLuigi

With the rules in several places, does XenForo not have a proper Announcements setup? They are like global stickies. Basically one thread, on top of all stickies (like a sticky of stickies) that is broadcast throughout all sections you want it to.

13. Wired

I don't think that is possible on vanilla Xenforo (At least as a moderator) but may be possible via addons. Why not just put a link to the rules in the top bar. (No as a drop down from help) But just a plain old link saying rules, which would then lead to the rules. This way we could make an actual thread with the rules in and just have that link point to that thread.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  14. Kouji

Well, I think the point is that all pointless irrelevant threads in suggestions (ones that are really old and out of date, and redundant locked ones that suggest 1337 Wizard Rouge (not Rogue) Ninja Assassin) would be put into that sub-forum. It'd allow for easier searching and makes that section look cleaner. The only reason I haven't deleted those threads is because those threads add additional keywords for when you search and deleting them would cause them to be lost. A subforum would be similar to deleting them as it would keep them out of sight, but it still allows using it for search (even if you press the "Search this forum only" button). Anyways, if you did make it, you wouldn't have to worry about moving the threads there as I could handle it myself.

Is it possible to make that more obvious? I just barely learned that 2 days ago entirely by accident while I was moderating.

You know this might solve a lot of these problems.

Wired likes this.
  15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Thanks!
    just the random thoughts of a 14 year old psychopath...

16. Wired

Would a Forum Help & Feedback work as a beginner forum, Since it would be a place where people could go to ask questions about how the forum works etc?

17. BlueLuigi

I never knew those buttons worked to filter, hory shet.

Yeah, that's not obvious at all, or wasn't to me, since I rarely use forums to browse but instead 'Find new threads'.

Last thing we want is questions about how the forum works.

Also 'Help!' tends to be just about KAG help not forums, might throw people off big time, best to leave it as it is for now entirely separate.

18. Wired

I knew that they worked as a filter I just think sub sections work better and are easier to navigate in the case of announcements, also using this it would be possible to add a filter so that ceratin posts in that section appear on a front page type deal which could be useful.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. BlueLuigi

So what you want is a 'Portal' for the forums?
    Not sure that's necessary since we have kag2d.com. In fact it's probably super unnecessary. :(

20. Wired

I didn't say I want it it's just a possibility, and don't rule it out yet. A portal is useful for community up dates, a place to put announcements with out having to check the announcements sub section (Even if you can use Kag2d.com it's still use full for people who frequent at the forums but not the homepage) a place to put the status up date box and other such luxerys. It's just a way we could go, not something we have to do. Just rabbling/brainstorming/bringing up ideas to see your guys opinions here. :p
    I think if we split "Help!" into the 3 sub sections it might actually make things more clear, since I have seen forum help pop up in there a few times etc. So it might be less of a throw off having it in 3 section then just having Help! as one big forum. Help can be a pretty vague term.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97