1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Specialty arrows can be used in a shotgun

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PeggleFrank, May 22, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Just a little something. This might be slightly overpowered, but I think it'll be really balanced out by how the current shotgun works.

Currently, you only fire one arrow of whatever type, and two extra regular arrows if you have some extra. I'd like to see this changed.

How it works now:

Upper Shot - Standard arrow
    Middle Shot - Any arrow
    Lower Shot - Standard arrow

How I'd like to see it work:

With 1 or 2 specialty arrows:
    Upper Shot - Standard arrow
    Middle Shot - Any arrow
    Lower Shot - Standard arrow

With 3 specialty arrows:
    Upper Shot - Any arrow
    Middle Shot - Any arrow
    Lower Shot - Any arrow

This cannot be used to rain down 3 fire/bomb arrows at once over the enemy wall. Just like a regular shotgun charge, the upper and lower extra arrows will dissolve after a set distance. You can't rain down hell on the enemy, but you can unload your payload faster if you can get closer. This also means that if you misjudge your distance to the enemy wall, your bomb arrows will turn to dust and gently breeze the enemy's wall as would an airy wisp of toilet paper when massaged over the sweaty, rock-solid buttocks of the enemy.

I'm not a great archer. I'm not a good archer. I'm not even an archer. If there's something unbalanced about this, please, do tell; I wouldn't know.

EDIT: Removed the 2-arrow exclusive shot.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

This would make archers worse. Think of all the countless times when you waste two bomb arrows just because of this. :rektlord:

3. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

A benefit firing three single bomb arrow shots too is that you can drastically weaken a point in a defense to breach through which spead shot wouldn't give by spreading the exposive penetration damage.

Same situation with water arrows as you want to space out single shots on a enemy to stun him for a longer period compared firing three at once that will only give you the stun duration of one arrow.

Fire might be fun but overpowered considering they do a fair bit of damage (2 hearts full single shot?) resulting in a one hit kill on full health knights with a close range shotty.

Sounds fun but might not be the best :)

PeggleFrank likes this.
  4. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Yeah I could definitely see it being fun to use, but it'd be more wasteful if anything. Bomb arrows are used to get deeper. You wouldn't want to waste them with a large spread. Fire arrows don't stack to my knowledge. This could be pretty funny with water tho.

PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Eh, it just wouldn't be very useful, but it would look cool

6. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Aside from being needlessly complicated there are a couple glaring issues with this idea, namely 'any arrow', and the non centered firing for 2 special ammo.

Any arrow
    From what I understand there is no way to decide which special ammo you're going to use, in example; I have a single water arrow, and a single fire arrow, which arrow is chosen for the top and bottom?
    Double special
    If you have 2 of any special ammo, your special ammo is fired on the outside. This means that to stay on target at any range outside of point blank you have to adjust your aim in such a way that one of those special arrows will always be horribly miss-aimed.
    In conclusion, it's a novel idea but in my opinion it lacks the simplistic elegance of the current implementation.

PeggleFrank likes this.
  7. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

That's not something I thought of.

I would presume it would only use arrows that you have equipped. If you have, say, two water arrows, and you have one fire arrow equipped, the fire arrow will be fired in the center and two regular arrows will be fired on the top and bottom if you have them. If you equip the water arrows, then there will be no fire arrow in the middle.

As for the one on top and one on bottom, I'll edit the OP. I was just going for symmetry; I didn't think of how inaccurate that would be. I don't think this system will interfere with regular gameplay, though, simply because it requires you to use the shotgun charge. If you have 3 bomb arrows and don't want to waste two of them in a shotgun, there's nothing stopping you from just firing them one-by-one. Firing all three at once has some niche applications, but applications nonetheless.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 23, 2015, Original Post Date: May 23, 2015 ---
    Fire arrows stack twice, although I doubt that's what you mean. If you mean the fire spread, then no, they don't stack; a shotgun of fire arrows would, however, be useful if the enemy wall had a lot of wood and stone mixed around in such a figure that one fire arrow wouldn't burn it all down. That being said, firing three fire arrows individually would probably be more accurate, but a shotgun of them would be much faster if there were, perhaps, some enemy knights coming after you.

EDIT: I have another proposition. No idea if it's good.

I just removed the 2-arrow exclusive shot (up and bottom any arrow, mid regular arrow). Since you can now only fire either three specialty arrows at once or one specialty arrow with two regular arrows, would a buff be necessary for those two extra specialty arrows?

I was thinking making only the upper and middle arrow cost ammo. If you had three bomb arrows, you could either fire 3 of them individually for a deep impact, or you could fire 3 spread over the enemy wall, and then fire an additional one for slightly less depth and much more impact. The same would go for regular arrows. I think some sort of buff is necessary, though, just because of how the upper and lower arrows fade to ether after a set distance - it really devalues the power of putting specialty arrows in a shotgun, I'm afraid.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  8. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

why do you think kegs are so easy to dislodge, and can only be lit by knights? Doesn't it defeat the purpose if an archer can just slide up to the enemy base and immediately put an enormous hole in it with much less effort?

9. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

What...?

I don't see your point. Launching 3 bomb arrows at once isn't that much different from just firing 3 bomb arrows repeatedly, and has the downside of a low maximum range (must be close or else the upper & lower arrows will dissipate) and accuracy (will hit the wall in 3 points, instead of making a deep hole that would actually be useful). Having the ability to gain an extra bomb arrow from shotgunning three, as I suggested, wouldn't make it that much better.

This would only really be useful if you were trying to blast enemies over a wide area with water arrows, or if you were trying to light multiple, random fires at once.

Mods: Rainbows