1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

starsoccer9's Big Server

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by starsoccer9, Oct 18, 2011.

1. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

I just created my first server and I want to see how much it can take so everyday I am gonna increase the max players untill it crashs. I am starting at 16 and today is day1. Tommarow I will increase it to 20 and so on. Please join my server so I can really test its capabilities Thanks.

Also If you have any suggestions on how to make it better please tell me.

EDIT:Ok I changed my mind I bumped it up to 200 so i need 200 people to go on

2. incarnum

incarnum Shopkeep Stealer

Hello starsoccer9,

I've been hosting two variants of my server recently, 64 and 128 players. The highest player count I've achieved was 60 (might've been 64 during my absence)

Afterwards I've set the player limit to 50, because:

1. Server's resource usage (up to 80% of one processor core -- tested on a Intel Core i7)
    2. Player crashes (I've crashed numerous times)
    3. Server going nuts sometimes for strange reasons

I strongly advise you to reconsider hosting for such great number of players, at least not at this moment.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah the game really can't handle much more than 50 folks at once.

4. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Make 2-3 servers than 1 giant server.
    Making 2-3 servers in some regions(USA,Germany(and maybe England, Poland?) to make your servers popular.
    Also one giant server will lag alot and crash.

But choice is yours.

5. incarnum

Hello,

@Worm
    Yes, it is a very good idea at least for the time being, figured out the hard way, hehe.

If anyone is ever able to set up a connected server network, I can host the Europe part.

6. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Insanity.
    Server will fall at 140 players(if dedicated).

7. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Server Crashed at 30 people not good.

Edit:It was lagging atnd then it didnt really crash it simply kicked everyone outta the game exepct me. But it said the server was still live. Weird right.

8. incarnum

Hello,

My server has survived it's first night, hasn't died -- success. (limit is 50 now FYI... not gonna change my mind at this point)

9. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Yeah I am still kinda pissed my server disconnected everyone but me at 30. After the rewrite and when more people start playing Ill host my server again. Right now it really isnt worth it since there is usally only 50-100 people on at any given momment. and there are always 20 servers free

10. incarnum

I have around 45 players on my server right now. CPU usage is 40% of a i7 core, this is very disappointing, I will continue to host it for a little while longer however. If it doesn't change, I'll just shut it down and wait for a better server build to come out.

11. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

thats what I am waiting for a more stable server. so I can host it and have alot of people on it with out it diconnecting everyone randomly