1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Tech tier > Tech tree

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Monsteri, Jun 17, 2013.

?

Do you prefer tech tiers to tech tree?

1. Tech tiers sound magnificient

89.5%
  2. Let it be tech tree

10.5%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

[​IMG]
    s.png

This is a mockup demonstrating what it could possibly look like. Tech tiers would be way better in both competitive and public play. It would allow for actually applying strategies to your play style, and it wouldn't be even nearly as confusing as the current system.

I made really specific stats about item prices and research durations etc, but cba to type them all in again, so basically it works like this: People vote for the tech they want in the hall building.
    All the tech will be unlocked when the tier is researched.
    A new tier won't begin researching until either all the possible RP has been used or the tech slots are full.
    New tech can be voted for until the tier has reached 10% of the research time.

Total amount of votes wins a slot. If e.g. military supplies had two votes and longboat three, together they would make 5 votes. Now if warboat had 7 votes, it would be chosen instead. All the tech that has been voted for will be included as long as both RP and tech slots are available.

If you misunderstood something, feel free to ask. I have the whole system 100% thought up B)

Please discuss. Also sorry for all the bade grammar and spelling no time to read thru and fix

Mazey, Hawxx, LostPix and 4 others like this.
  2. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Let's say 2 slots were won by the same thing, but they have different things in 2nd place. What aspects could impact which 2nd item gets the slot?
    Edit (2nd question): Also I can't seem to find this is the writing, but I'm really bad at looking, is the denominator on those research points the amount necessary to start the research without filling the slots, or that and a cap on research points per tier?

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You can't fill two slots with the same tech. When the tech fills a slot, it can be voted for only via that slot. The interface works like this: Click on tech slot --> Click on the tech you want to vote for. There could also be a button that agrees to all current tech choices to save people hassle. New players could like to use this button.

The X/X amount of research points below the tiers just present how much RP has been used already within that tier. So basically yes, if you have less than 50 RP left, the tier will begin researching were all the slots filled or not. You could also have 200 RP left, but all the slots within the tier filled, and yes it would begin researching.

The idea of gradually increasing amount of resource points is that if you progress through the tiers traditionally, getting the most use of the RP limits, you'll get more tech in total in the end than the enemy team, if they rushed all the expensive items.

(e.g. Tier 1: Warboat, Tier 2: Ballista & Bomb ammo, which is really aggressive, but backfires easily. Tier 3 should only have 700 RP by the way, this was a typo on my part. Also yes Ballista is never a bad investment currently, has to be toned down a bit :P)

4. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

So the option to vote for something in a slot freezes if it wins in another slot?
    But what if you un-voted (on other things) in that other slot so that it was winning in both?

5. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Nice mock up, I was having this idea past few days and it seems to be the best way to progress with in-game tech, current system introduced is a joke because it limits your choices, I mean it would probably work with a different type of game... in this game you want to be able to access all the tech but vote on what you want first to be researched.

6. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I'm not sure I'm following, but I do think the research mechanics should be looked at again.

7. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'd love to see this in the game

Mods: Rainbows