1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Ten Do’s and Don’ts of KAG

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by killatron46, Feb 20, 2012.

1. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Do’s

½. Do enjoy the game! Play the parts of the game you like, and don’t feel like you have to play KAG in any way that you don’t think is fun!

1. Do things that are helpful, as a knight shield up at ledges to help your knight bros, archers protect towers and ally troops in the battlefield, builders put up easy to use towers. You can also “pick out” someone, and just follow them around, traveling in pairs is safer!
    2. Do build few towers, if you're going to start a new tower, on the front line or just during the build phase, keep in mind structures work best when they are 20 spaces apart, building that epic tower 3 tiles behind a another tower makes both of them that much worse.
    3. Do tap lots as a knight; in most cases in knight vs knight fights, tap slashing will do a lot more good than holding your shield all the time.
    4. Do build things on request, if someone takes the time to ask you (as a builder) to make something for them, try to do it!
    5. Do find your angle as an archer, sometimes its worthwhile to “mark” your angle, fire a couple shots at some different arcs to see where they go. This way you can spend less time finding an angle and more time hitting an enemy.
    6. Do carry a bomb, as a knight I like to keep a bomb handy for an emergency, if things get tight people will usually start to panic if you light a bomb, especially a pesky archer.
    7. Do fire arrows at walls before you get to it to climb over, it’s quicker and if you’re jumping while you charge your shots you move just as fast.
    8. Do pickup loose materials, picking up anything, from bombs to stacks of 250 resources and taking it back to someone that will use it helps a lot!
    9. Do retreat and heal, if you aren’t far from a quarters or its late in the game (applicable on limited units) be sure to run back to the base and heal/buy bombs and arrows while your there. You can also bring stuff back for your bros on the front line.
    10. Do build archer holes, I like to go through sometimes and make sure all our towers have decent archer holes, when you’re being pushed back by the other team it is extremely important to have archers in good archer holes!

Don’ts

1. Don’t build structures which hinder your team, towers that are too tall with no doors, ground level doors too.
    2. Don’t make spike pits and place the spikes in them before you cover them with bridges.
    3. Don’t start a tunnel behind your tent, just don’t do this. Please.
    4. Don’t senselessly chop down all of the trees around the tent when you do this it makes the tree stumps hard to see and easy to build over, thus killing your trees for the rest of the round.
    5. Don’t waste lives (only applicable in limited lives), jumping off the very top of towers is silly, there are usually safer ways to get down off of a tall tower than to just jump off.
    6. Don’t go solo, bring some of your team into the fight, don’t just run out by yourself all the time. . . You can also try “rallying” your team, try saying things like “wait here till more of us come, then we’ll all take down that <insert here>”.
    7. Don’t build shops outside of protection, even between two towers out in the open is bad. A bomb jumping knight could hijack or destroy your shops.
    8. Don’t carry outposts through buildings; try to avoid this because if someone spawns while you’re walking through a building with an outpost, it destroys part of the building.
    9. Don’t get careless with your bombs, try to look around you and see the safest place to bomb jump out of a tower (if you’re in a tower). Also be mindful of the bomb timer, throwing an "undercooked" bomb to an enemy can be very bad.
    10. Don’t heavily abuse glitches, some glitches in KAG are avoidable and unavoidable, I could make a whole thread dedicated to this as well, but I will say this: Just use your best judgment, or ask a kag GUARD what he/she thinks.

I also do not claim to be the first to know or figure out any of this stuff, I just wanted to put together a helpful list of ten do’s and don’ts! Thanks to Melan for prompting me to write this, and everyone else that has helped me.

I don't mind if people wish to add their own do's and don'ts in this thread, however I would appreciate it if you have a specific comment/addition to already mentioned/posted list item, to PM it to me instead of making a reply to this thread.

2. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

add to don't:
    -Never make a whole , solid teambridge.Allways separate in in parts at least every 3 blocks.Add background wall if you want to add durability.

Reason?If you have a solid teambridge when it gets activated,all it's parts will activate at once,thus a single enemy knight can drop 3-4 guys into your own spike pit/deep hole.
    Every time I see bridge like this I make a kamikazee jump on it,as killing 4 guys is so worth it.

3. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

Very good list. As an extension to the "Do" list; when playing knight, take out time to shield your archers from enemy fire. If you have 1 or 2 good archers on your team, they'll take advantage of this and before you know it you'll have archer dominance in the field, which of course is very useful. My team has come from behind to scrape some tight wins due to this strategy.

Naturally, it's counteracted by the other team doing the same thing, but if the enemy team is largely made up of archers and negligent knights it does wonders to thin their ranks.

AL3X_j_M likes this.
  4. killatron46

I wanted to make a solid list of 10 do's and don'ts Combo, I didn't cover everything, but I covered a majority of it. I also tried to keep it as short as possible so someone that could use the information would actually read it. (Some people don't read wall texts). I don't mind though if people add their own, or make their own lists. :)

5. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Well, this is nice.

I honestly just usually stay as knight, i'm terrible at aiming, and i don't like building.

Meaning, i didn't read anything related to builders or archers.

Schwider likes this.
  6. Melan

Melan Shark Slayer

I really hope all the new players could read this, new builders especially, would read this, there are so many useful tips here that aren't mentioned, but rather being acted out in KAG, and new players may not pick them up easily, especially since there's been a flood of new players recently, and it's probably hard to learn from the veterans.

I personally know some builders that still have not learned the things that bug people, like stacking doors, ground doors, tunneling ... Etc. Even if they've been playing for a decent amount of time.

So yeah, other than that, thanks for this great list ^^

7. Huper

Huper Shipwright

Great List! Tips are the real King Arthur's Gold for new players !!!:gold: Here are a few more...

-(Before the game starts) Don't mine or chop wood when you are right next to the base tent. The tent gives you FREE wood and stone each time you walk in front of it. During the build phase, archers can only get arrows by chopping down trees, so builders please do your best to avoid chopping them down. Trees also malfunction if they are covered by a bridge or building, so try to avoid building above them if possible> unless you must for security reasons.

-(Before the game starts) Build the construction closest to the red zone a few blocks back from its edge. You must include a way back up to retreat/replenish before the game starts because archers in particular need to retreat in a hurry if the rush is pushed back.

-Be ready to attack a little before the countdown ends. Once your team takes territory, you can go back to what you were doing.

-Help kick griefers off your team immediately so they have less time to do damage. Verify first because griefers often accuse other people to try to get away with it. [press TAB. Select their row. Mark their box far right]

-Versatility. Get better at each class so you can be useful in more situations. If you and your fellow knights need ladders to attack a tower or diggers to clear a tunnel, become a builder and help. Or if you and your fellow archers are vulnerable, become a knight and shield them. If you and your fellow builders are being harassed by archers, become an archer and shoot back at them.

-Builders generate alot of coins while they mine. Use extra money to buy bombs for knights, arrows for archers. Don't bring a lot of coins into danger. I forget sometimes and it's sad to see it all dancing around me after I explode.

-Speaking of which, mining is a great way to get money for arrows and you can give the materials you generate to the smartest (acting- not looking) builder.

-Don't believe the 10 dollar hats mean anything.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

dont listen to this free2play hats are everything

9. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

Ahh I love the lovely smell of Tf2 logic in a nutshell.

10. An addition to the Don't list.

Don't go AFK on shops, as then your team cannot use them.

Well try not to be AFK for a long period of time anyway.

ComboBreaker and Noburu like this.
  11. killatron46

Thanks for the additions here cheese, but I tried to name things that would be true in past and future builds, if that makes any sense, then I don't have to be constantly updating it. :rollseyes:

For this build, YES that is a VERY good one!

EDIT:

Also guys, try to keep posts on here on topic/adding dos and don'ts. if you want to make a specific comment you can PM me. (Yes Contrary, you started it :migrant:).

12. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

some more
    Do
    (not necessarily/ not tested) as a archer tap a tree twice in a block and then let a builder or you go builder and chop the rest. then use the extra 1 gold to buy more arrow so you can get at most for one piece of wood get 10 wood and 3 arrows.... (not really worth it just saying)
    Dont
    dont destroy a tree then place a block over it (the stump) unless it somehow helps the enemy.
    dont ruin other peoples traps... buildings

13. bobboy555

bobboy555 Catapult Fodder

DO build spike traps between towers. If a bomb-jumping knight gets over one tower, a spike trap will kill him instantly due to the height he falls from.

DO coat the walls of your higher towers with spikes to stun bomb-jumping knights. Works in tandem with above DO.

DON'T build towers that are simply 1 block thick as your main defence. They are effective as a field defence at the start of the round until you can build a better tower but a bomb will bring them down easily.

14. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Do build a bomb jumper proof wall with a spike trap just under, or with airblade. It will spare you to build a 20 block wide trap.

15. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

Best advice ever.
    Now just hope they don't have people make weapons for them.

16. L-III-III-7

L-III-III-7 Shopkeep Stealer

i absolutely abhor ground level doors...

17. Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost Horde Gibber

I have one

Don't build suicide towers, those are towers that you can exit, but cant get back in.

18. ArrowSteps

ArrowSteps Catapult Fodder

Is there a thread where I can ask which glitches are OK and which are not?

I have specific question about one:
    Without explaining how this works: There is this glitch involving knights and crossing big gaps without falling down. I am pretty sure that doing this is considered forbidden bug abusing. But now to my question. In the last few games whenever someone tries to get someone to do this with him in a game without any mods online I'll go there and walk a few meters with them. I'll then jump back to safety so they fall to their inevitable death. Most of the times they will rage and shout something like "HURR DURR, NOOB, HURR DURR". I'll then answer them with "Well, that is what you get for bugabusing."
    Is this o.k. or will this be considered griefing?
    I wanted to ask this all day to a green one, but I haven't met one lately. :(

19. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I assume you mean the knight zeppelining bug. It's honestly depends on the server. Most don't allow it though. Jaedizzle's Dallas is currently the only one that does I think.

Anyways, bug using in general is something you shouldn't do in KAG as it can result in getting you banned from a server. In general though, glitches/bugs that are beneficial to one time more than the other (due to some being left/right preferenced) are bugs you should try. So try not to use them, as it's bad practice.

20. ArrowSteps

ArrowSteps Catapult Fodder

My question was not really about using them, but about getting people who are using them killed on purpose .