1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Testers for my new game needed!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by SlyStalker, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Is the name Blobs a good selection?

1. Hell yeah

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Yes, but I could think of a better name

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. Not sure...

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Not really

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  5. Definitely not

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Hi guys,
    As you probably have already guessed, I'm making a new game and I need some generous people to help me test it and point out its bugs and flaws. My new game is called Blobs (PM me if you think you have a better name :p). Its similar to Spore, in the sense that you get to 'evolve' and improve the species (Blob) you're controlling (No, you don't get to see them mating though :D). If you can possibly test the game for me, in addition to me being grateful to you, please post in this thread so when I post here about when you can get v0.1, you can get an alert! :) This game is going to be freeware, but the Python code is not an opensource project.
    Thanks to all in advance! :thumbs_up:

blukey, cypy, GloriousToast and 6 others like this.
  2. AdrianC

AdrianC Haxor Tester

Some images or video of your game, or more details (it's 2D or 3D?) would be nice to see. ;)
    Also, you can't really hide Python code.

SlyStalker likes this.
  3. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

mind tk tell more about it? 2d or 3d? pc, mac, linux, ios or android? pics or videos?

SlyStalker and Anded like this.
  4. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

I will happily help test. However like the other i would like some information about the game.

SlyStalker likes this.
  5. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Id test if you gave more info.

SlyStalker likes this.
  6. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Yeah bro. I'd be more than happy to help you out if you gave some details and maybe some screens of the game. Telling us about the blob isn't really telling us much.

SlyStalker likes this.
  7. Zeeee80

Zeeee80 Haxor

You had my with evolving but yes, some more details would be appreciated.

SlyStalker likes this.
  8. SlyStalker

ACTUALLY, yes i can! :D if i use Py2Exe (a piece of code that turns .py files into .exe files) i can turn the code into and executable and that way people can't use it :)

you wanted more info? sorry i didnt include it in my earlier post. ok, where to start... well, the game is going to be fairly short, but with lots of replay value. heres the important parts :down:

There are 3 species in the game world. They are represented as red, blue and green blobs floating and moving around in a top-down 2D world. At the start of the game, the game will allow SOME customisation. EVO points help to 'evolve' your creature. Upgrades require you to 'spend' the points to acquire them. Such upgrades include Speed (increases species speed), Reproduction (increases reproduction multiplier (this will be explained later)), Attack, Defense etc... The upgrades also link to other upgrades eg. Speed II, Reproduction II etc... So, anyway, when the first round starts, each species will have 20 (TBD) of their own Blobs floating around in the game world. The aim is to be the first species to eat 50 (TBD) bits of food. Food comes in 2 varities: Plant and Meat. Plant matter is randomly generated and is somewhat plentiful, but doesn't give you much energy (energy is what Blobs use to move, attack etc.). Meat on the other hand, will only be spawned by dead Blobs. This means you have to hunt enemies to get Meat, which is higher in energy. When a species as a whole eats a total of 50 food, the round ends. The number of EVO points you get from the round is calculated like this: (Food eaten * 2) + (Surviving population * Surviving population multiplier). The Surviving Population multiplier is originally 3 (TBD) but with upgrades can be altered. So anyway, at the end of the round, its back to the upgrades screen, where you can further 'evolve' your creature. The first species that acquires a grand total of 2500 (TBD) EVO points wins the game.

The only thing that concerns me is that there is no 'skill' involved when the species are competing in a round because unlike Spore you don't control a creature, you just watch them like a race. I may change that later if you guys think there's a problem with that too, but I'll leave it like that in v0.1.

Sorry guys, but I may have overstepped a little. I haven't started coding YET, but v0.1 should be done soon, I assure you! :thumbs_up: BTW sorry for the wall of text :p

Bly likes this.
  9. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Interesting. I might help test if I could. But, I can't.

SlyStalker likes this.
  10. AdrianC

AdrianC Haxor Tester

It's easy to get the Python code from py2exe... just saying.

SlyStalker likes this.
  11. SlyStalker

are you a python programmer too? nice to meetcha :)
    ninja12 - why not?? :huh?:

12. dangertank44

dangertank44 Shark Slayer

I'd love to test this game once the first version comes out. How big will the textures be? Also if you need help with texturing I would love to help. I don't have much experience but I'm fairly good with pixel art.

SlyStalker likes this.
  13. SlyStalker

umm well, the graphics will be somewhat pixelated, but not in a good way. if i manage to increase the resolution then i may need the help. thanks for volunteering! :):thumbs_up:
    </br>--- merged: Jan 25, 2013 4:37 AM ---</br>
    btw i dont guarantee that the game is going to be good... :( but i hope it is! :B):

14. Panasonic

Panasonic Builder Stabber
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Happy to try it when it comes out good job

SlyStalker likes this.
  15. SlyStalker

well, i've just started coding, and my estimate at the moment would be maybe a couple of weeks (2-3) (?), with school just about to start and stuff... BUT it will probably take loger with all the hidden hiccups and the like

16. feet

feet Bison Rider

I'll be happy to test.

SlyStalker likes this.
  17. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Well, text was good enoguh! will glad to test it. btw, maybe could you add that might find some gold and when you gather it you will get golden energy, which you can turn it into normal energy which is 2x times stronger or you can spawn minions for you to help you fight, gather food or meat (they stay near their boss)
    but a Q: can you make it for linux too? or make it for android. it seems awesome online game to play on phone and in school :D
    </br>--- merged: Jan 25, 2013 4:12 PM ---</br>
    Oh and the game's name might be "Blonergy" since you can only win by gathering energy :D

18. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

I will definitely help test now that i have more information. It sounds similar to the cell stage of spore which i always loved playing.

SlyStalker likes this.
  19. SlyStalker

yes is IS based on the cell stage, but i have said before, what concerns me is that you dont get to control any one creature...
    hmm, im not sure about this golden energy thingy, but maybe i can make it that there's a chance to spawn bigger bits of food that yield more energy... but that will have to come in a later version...
    oh and yes, i think it would be a pretty good game to play in school! :D its just that i have no idea of how to make android and ios games... maybe in the future then :)
    </br>--- merged: Jan 26, 2013 2:42 AM ---</br>
    :lantern: PROGRESS UPDATE: :lantern:
    Last night I achieved a personal best! 400+ lines of code in a single sitting! This is very impressive for me! :B): Anyway, I have NEARLY finished defining ALL game objects (Species, Blobs, Food) and I'm just about starting on the main game loop. :) For all non-programmers reading this, this means that I have nearly finished writing code for creating in-game objects like Blobs and Food. :thumbs_up: The project is going well, which means that v0.1 MIGHT be released sooner than I thought! !!! I have decided that the phrase for the game is going to be 'Be the Master Race.' If you have a better idea, please post down here. :down:
    </br>--- merged: Jan 27, 2013 2:22 AM ---</br>
    :lantern:PROGRESS UPDATE:lantern:
    I'm now 600 lines of code into the game, and I really think v0.1 could be released within a few days! It still could contain a couple of nasty and annoying bugs, but with your feedback, I will certainly create some patches to fix that!:) The main hurdle now is making a 'tech-tree' data structure, with different upgrades 'pointing' to other upgrades that have been unlocked and things like that e.g. Speed II is a prerequisite upgrade for Speed III, therefore, Speed II :right: Speed III.

20. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

Can't wait till some screenshots, but one concern would be how the controls would be handled (Like how your species attacks enemy blobs). Also, try to make the art unique (if you can), or ask someone else to do that. Can't wait to see how this turns out;):).

Mods: BlueLuigi