1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The big problem of offense

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Monsteri, May 23, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

In a nutshell it's spawning; raids dies out too quickly

The raiding enemy team might have 10 people on the boat at best, while the enemies have unlimited spawning close to the battle, and they also have instant access to all the resources. Because of this, while the raiding team might get some damage done, they will often be dead so soon that it's nothing major and easy to repair. The fights are extremely short and after each fight there are like 3 minutes of preparing time, often even more. This sort of sucks to be perfectly honest. No one likes to stand around and wait for the boats, catapults, kegs, food, and all the stuff be created in the factories before they can go and assault again, which often results in nothing.

DA SOLUTIONS TO FIX THIS:
    • War boats have an unlimited respawn option in them.
    • War boats allow you to change class
    • War boats have a built-in workshop in them, using resources from the player & from the storage & from the compartment
    • Ballista bolts should not penetrate neither of the boats, only damage - it is overpowered at the moment
    • War boat should be immune to the small catapult rocks - it's way too easy to destroy one with them
    Ultimately, this makes war boat a mobile base - just what we need to keep the game intense, right? Compare the battles of non-water maps and water maps. In the water maps, the combat stalls and isn't really interesting, it ends way too quickly and is mostly about blowing up holes in the enemy walls.

The fun part - actually getting inside the enemy base and destroying them lasts for about 10 minutes, if no one entombs away, while the progress of getting there took hours and hours of unsuccesful boat raids.

In non-water maps, the battle is constant, skill is an actual element and the siege weapons can be used in a lot more creative ways. This is because you don't need to wait for boats and all the other stuff to spawn and you can place the siege weapons anywhere you'd like, not onto an exact spot in the boat. You can also just walk into the enemy side and start doing the stuff we do. It's relaxing, fun, and frontline building actually exists.

Discuss if you wish, leave a like if you agree. But please do both ;-;

-EDIT- Moved to appropriate place. ~Galen

alex4864, xDeity, m0zzila and 5 others like this.
  2. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I believe he talked about this briefly in game, and I do agree with this, but wouldn't it require the War Boats to be fundamentally changed? It would have to be bigger to make it a mobile base and for it to have all the functions you talked about. But this would be something I want to see officially, and not in a mod.

Agnar likes this.
  3. Monsteri

That would be neat, though I don't think it's entirely necessary. There doesn't have to be a workbench sprite, or a barracks sprite inside, you can just see the interaction bubbles by pressing E. There is no "compartment" sprite either, and it completely makes sense.

4. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It's just that if there are too many icons it might seem crowded. Haven't been in a War Boat for a while so I may be imagining it smaller than it is.

5. KaB

KaB Shopkeep Stealer

The workshop inside the war boat is definitely important.

However, I'd recommand to nerf kegs and bombs against boats, instead of cata and ballista. Even though I agree the ballista shouldnt be able to shoot through the boat and kill the entire crew.

For the spawn, why not. But it might make the boat becoming so OP then.

And changing class inside the boat might not be possible as pressing E would display the screen of the classes and would hide the compartments and (future) workshop icon.

6. Monsteri

I think it would be easy enough to destroy if a team mashes it at the enemy tower, sure that will be hell effective if your team manages to push them back, but also risky. But it is kinda the point that you would actually be able to keep on the attack and continue the push.

Alternatively, the war boat could be left at the sea and just used as a spawn, outside of the enemy range. This means they'll have to get to the enemy with dinghies or get longboats from the base, which adds a lot of preparation time for the enemy. Boats can't be too OP when it comes to offense, at least they're limited to water.
    The class icons can simply be presented like bubbles as they used to be presented. Alternatively you'd have to click a "barracks" option bubble in the boat, this is not a big deal.

7. KaB

KaB Shopkeep Stealer

That would make 3 icons on the boat then :/
    Can be quite annoying especially if you want to take stuff from the compartments quickly during a fight : "Take that keg ! *choose builder* ... oh ... shit."

8. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Erm, I believe that that's the risk you take with attacking. If warboats have unlimited spawns, sailing to the enemy would effectively just shorten the map length. Something according to your description would lead to a massive advantage to the first team to get a boat.

I think the main problem is with maps. First time creators don't fully understand that aspects of a map have a giant effect on gameplay. This leads to the creation of maps that encourage camping and make offensive maneuvers impossible. Which is why I give and encourage constructive criticism of them.

9. Monsteri

You mightn't want to consider the war boat as a battle ship anyway, the longboat is way better for that because it's harder to shoot and easier to ram with. Besides the war boat is big, the three buttons are easy to keep well separate.

10. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I agree with this. I actually suggested it a long time ago but we never tried it. These suggestions will most likely be done pretty soon in some form or another... and tested, it might not be that good in real gameplay. We'll see.

NinjaCell, Domis, KaB and 2 others like this.
  11. KaB

KaB Shopkeep Stealer

You talk about the Spawn or the ability to change class in the boat ?

Btw I just realized that if we get a spawn in the War Boat, the players' ability to take the control of enemy boats and turn them into a friendly one could finally have a sense as it would disable the enemy spawn.

Mods: Rainbows