1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Guild of Grammar-Nazis: Introducing the Ivory Tower

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, May 17, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Okay. So. As some of you may recall, a while ago I declared war on all grammar Nazis who would seek to use their grammatical knowledge on the KAG forums to make themselves look good while putting others down. Well, today I'm make my first step towards a less snarky forum with the creation of the Guild of Grammar-Nazis!

Please don't be alarmed if you have had run-ins with self-satisfied "Grammar Nazis" in the past! This is not an attempt to breed more of their like; rather it is an attempt to stamp out that very same creature!

It is my hope that all honest grammar-Nazis (those who offer correction not out of pride, but out of a need to spread the gospel of good grammar) will join the guild and thereby join me in my jihad against those foully pretentious gits who falsely claim to be making the Internets an easier place to read. As a guild we can not only work to improve the lexical worth of the KAG community, but also defend it against noxious, high-handed pontification.

If atrocious spelling and poorly split infinitives get on your goat, if you'd like to be able to offer friendly correction without putting people down, if you don't want your grammatical exegeses blown to smithereens by me, click on the link below and sign up! :B):

The Ivory Tower

2. Should I join?

Not much of a Grammer Nazi, but I really hate reading posts that don't have simple full stops or capital letters.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

If you feel that you can convince people to learn how to use them well without coming across as a dick, then sure (not that I think you will, Cheese, but just laying it out there).

4. Roc_Computer

Roc_Computer Shopkeep Stealer

I know someone who is a "Grammer-Nazi".
    And he is corrects me a lot. D:

And now the trolling :3 :
    s0 can i n0T b3 a grAmer naZ1.

KnightGabe13 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  5. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I quite frankly despise the people that are correcting my grammatical errors whenever I am writing something on the internet. Luckily I haven't run into these sorts of elitist jerks that very often. English is not my main language and I do whatever possible to improve it. This is done by reading, watching, listening and writing it. All the sodding time.

Reason why I am doing this is so that I can in a more easy fashion communicate with others. It is an international language and therfore it ties people together.

So when the time comes and someone points out my usage of "was" and "were" and tells me that its usage is wrong, I get furious. All they do is point out the mistake. No attempts at enlightening me what I did wrong is made. They just like to feel a bit better about themselves at my expense.

It is like I would go and tell someone who is trying to learn Swedish that their usage of "en" and "ett" is completely wrong, and then I simply moves on. It does not help anyone, it just makes them pissed off.

----
    This is a great video about the subject.
    Stephen Fry Kinetic Typography - Language

I really do hope that something good comes out of this. Good incentive at creating a better community.

Edit; There! Happy now? : <

6. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Mistake, not misstake. Sorry, I had to. :)

And you can never tell someone's motivation beyond a doubt; while it may seem to you that they're smug in their superiority, they may just be hoping to help you assimilate, with the eventual goal of you not having to worry about it anymore. Personally, I don't mind being corrected, but that's because I am a businessman, and impeccable grammar is a hallmark of professionalism. I could see how it's different for others, who put forth an effort and are shot down in a woefully snarky manner, but I feel the real problem is a lack of empathy. They need to empathize that you use English as a secondary language, and you need to empathize that they might not be assholes like me.

That said, I'll be damned before I identify myself as a grammar nazi. I'd rather people judge me for the content of my posts rather than the clarity in which I write them. I simply present in this manner because it is natural to me and more likely to be taken seriously than those hoo tk liek dis (a subset of people whom I don't always correct, but whom I judge quite harshly)

In my opinion, WanderMark, you're doing a wonderful job :3

inactive_account likes this.
  7. FuzzyBlueBaron

Thank you for your candid feedback, WanderMark. :D

It is my hope that by 'regulating' grammar Nazism on the KAG forums the kind of snarky or oafish correction you mention will be reduced/eradicated. People need to get purpose & audience into their think skulls. Realistically speaking there will probably always be new people coming in who need to be told how we do grammar Nazism here, but hopefully in the long run we'll see... :)

You've actually reminded me to include another clause in the guild's charter, namely that if correction is going to be given, there should be an explanation attached. I know I tend to do that, but I'd forgotten that many others do not. I'll now go modify things accordingly. ;)

(And Zuboki's right, you do exceeding well, WanderMark. If you hadn't told me I might not have guessed. :))

8. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I requested to join the group.

In the past, I have been a "rogue Grammar Nazi" to troll others. I realize that this is exactly the type of behavior everyone detests. In fact, my own grammatical aptitude was probably not as great as I may have imagined. Nowadays, I rarely correct other people's grammar because I recognize that, contrary the belief I previously held, not everyone on the internet is from the same country as me. In addition, people make typos, and these people do not appreciate having every small mistake pointed out.

I think I would enjoy being a real Grammar Nazi.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

Since I was the last Straw (mb?) i should join
    Edit: @ WanderMark that big S is trolling me, can you plz remove it?

10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I'm already a retired Grammar Nazi.

That was a joke.

In all seriousness, I'd join, but I don't want to be known as "that guy who is super-picky about grammar."

11. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

i disliek peolpe woo coorect meh

Mostly because, it's usually a typo, or I'm just being silly with my friends.
    Piss off, I know my english fairly well.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but everyone who decides to try and correct me, I come here for fun, not learnin's.

Just saiyan.

12. McChunks

McChunks Shark Slayer

Wutdafkisthishshit.Ican'tevencomprehendwhatthehellthisthreadissupposedtobeabout.whatthehellisgrammarandwhyshouldigive2fkswhenigivenun. I h8 Hitler so u guis suck.

go back2gayvilleurdadisw8

but no rlly u guys are dumb. I love grammar. wher do I Sine up? Srsly. I want to join.

But I don't like really think you don't have fun clan in this woah here.

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

If you're interested in joining, then please visit the Ivory Tower and read the Thread titled "Guild Charter". As for guild members correcting typos, etc. in normal everyday threads they shouldn't--and if they do then they better be explaining to me why. ;)

14. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

sowhatsthisthreadabout? ;)

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

A thread, for a group? All my confoos.

Why you be tryin though to edit my grammar? It's not good enough for you? :rektlord:

Why you correct mah grammar when I correct grammar?!?! SURELY IT IS GOOD!

--
    Seems like a cool idea, just hope people don't snark off into elitism just to troll this group.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Where's Hella?

FuzzyBlueBaron and Ghozt like this.
  17. bactra

bactra Shipwright

i , bctra, whole kindneyled agree to the atroicis web of masscres that thesi nazi have put with their provacitive imagery on their insane willed parts. the love of grammer IS NOT What we Will Be Using in the world of glrous machinations of the Evil Darkness Spawn, so let us move forward unRESTRAINED by words..... yet reason will still be in our Minds, becaus e our Minds r strong, wonderful and spilling out the neccesitis of gooey thought which will stick and collect dust because the oil is boyount in the water of life. let me say, the pen is more permanent than pencil, nd the short sword, while not as near long as a pike, is not without its cutting edge....
    agin, i say to u fuuzzywuuzzyblueishbaron, that i herby slute you with my hands, and my we grappble together in this conquest of eeh internets to rid it of the pestinlent fumes known as grimmer.

18. All I can say is, surprisingly good use of vocabulary and poetic devices.

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

Agreed, Beaster. Excellent verbiage you've got there, bactra! :D

@Luigi: Yeah, I'm fully expecting some hardcore troll to show up sooner or later. But personally speaking I've got a pretty thick skin and if they troll too hard on the forums proper then sooner or later they'll probably find themselves being banned. I guess we'll have to wait and see... :)

BlueLuigi likes this.
  20. MrJinkies

MrJinkies Horde Gibber

*temptation growing*​
    I'll be wathing this thread very closely..........​

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97