1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Odd Emote Pack

Discussion in 'Texture Packs' started by Kelaisnow, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Kelaisnow

Kelaisnow Guest

TL;DR: It's a funny looking emote pack. Just give it a shot. Filesmelt link at the bottom.

Preview image:

[​IMG]

The Odd Emote Pack features a few strange speech bubbles to shout out at your enemies. The essential Ladder Emote was left in for practical reasons, but Gold and Fort emotes were replaced by a Check and Cross emote to more easily display your agreement/disapproval.

Skull- Why scare your deceased enemies and rub salt into the wound with a nasty old skull, when you can be pleasantly ironic with love and companionship in cube form? An obviously overdone nod to a well-known franchise, Companion Cube emote will keep your enemies coming back to jump on your blade, just so they can be with their (insert witty descript here) companion once again!

!!!- Exclamation Marks are a fantastic way to show danger or distress in the vicinity, but how about showing your companions exactly what state you want that nearby enemy to be in two seconds? Bloody Shout emote (Now with pearly teeth!) will have your foes thinking twice before attempting to siege your vault, sending them back to their tents with the need for a new "I'm a disgrace" emote.

:)- Smiling is great. I love smiling. But even better, I love smiling with a ten gallon hat. Introducing the Clint Eastwood emote, which allows you to smile with pride those moments when you feel like you just pulled a Clint Eastwood. Did you just steal a bag of enemy gold through hordes of enemies, escaping without a scratch? Well show your peeps you just made out like a bandit, like never before.

;p- Give that nasty knight following you the past half-match a good slip? Mock your enemies with the Green Guy tounge-face emote on the other side of that cozy fortress wall, or stick that supposedly strongest muscle in the human body at your fellow workers when you just have no idea what they're doing to that fancy door you just built

>:(- GRAAAAAAGH!!! Show your RAGE with fire in your eyes with this stereotypical Devil's Fire emote. You've got fire in your eyes. Better put them out with your enemies blood.

D:- Show you're sad/scared while scaring your enemies with Boo The Ghost! This iconic emote will make sure you keep your pride while running in fear from five angry workers, who wish to shove those shovels somewhere else than dirt after you blew up their beautiful fort! Just make sure you're not looking your enemies in the eyes, you pansy.

];- Are you down in the dumps? Did that fall-death glitch get you again? Sure you obviously didn't land on your feet, but don't be afraid to show your Sad Inner Tiger every once in a while! People can feel generally sympathetic to animals, but a sad looking animal is almost too much to bear. Just don't die with it up or PETA will be riding your ass back to your spawn tent.

#- Standard Ladder! Looks beautiful as it is, efficient, and totally necessary. So why change it? Merely outlined with a black box for easier reading!

/
    V - Sometimes you just need to admit to someone they're right. A simple Green Check will get the job done! Nothing fancy, but useful none the less!

X - For those rare times where you're actually right, here's a Red X to tell that fool that he's made a mistake by blocking you under five layers of stone. You silly worker, you.

These are still kind of sloppy, but it's my first shot at something like this. Hopefully someone out there likes it!

http://filesmelt.com/dl/bubble1.png

2. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

Please upload a preview picture :3

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just a heads-up that if using non-vanilla emoticons you're not going to be sending the same message to other players that you see, you'll still send the default one (assuming the other players are using the default client).

I'm working on more context sensitive emoticons though, different for each class and useful for more, while keeping the current level of expression. I like the idea of the tick (check) and cross.

4. Kelaisnow

Kelaisnow Guest

Would you know how to directly place an image into the post? RIght now the best I can do is link to a URL

Yeah I figured as much, so I tried to keep the emotes close enough to their counterparts that you'd pretty much be conveying the same message. The exceptions to this are the Boo, which is normally a shouting happy face (close enough), and the originally mentioned tick and cross, which were previously gold and fort respectively. I only drastically changed those two because I don't see many people using them, especially the fort. If anything you could say 'X marks the spot' for gold, if you feel like stretching their representations, haha.

I just thought this would be a fun change of pace every once in a while, and (as unintuitive as this mentality is) assumed players would remember that they're really telling the majority of people 'GOLD!" and "FORT!" instead of tick/cross. :)

Glad you like the tick n' cross! Love the originals too, awesome expressions, and I'm looking forward to your future edits!

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just managed to have a look at the link, nice work :)

use the img tag:
    Code:
    [img] put your image location here [/img] 
    to put the images into your post.

And yeah, it was just a "heads up" not "this is retarded" ;) Glad you like the vanilla ones.

6. Kelaisnow

Kelaisnow Guest

Thanks a lot, was trying to figure this image thing out for a while and appreciate the compliment!

And no worries, I saw it as a heads up only :p Just wanted to explain further what I replaced too with a reply so not to add to that page stretcher of an original post

7. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

As we're at emoticons - I kinda dislike the idea of choosing them with numbers. More intuitive way and much faster would be in my opinion assigning to one key some kind of popping up circle and one could choose emoticon aiming at it with cursor or just moving cursor at it general direction. Confirming with shot button or just releasing the assigned key while emoticon one want to use is highlighted.

8. Geti

We're going to modify the interface as time goes on, I'm keen to have the emoticons stay around for a little while after you press the button, as well as being able to stack emoticons ("FORT!" "UNHAPPY!" or "GOLD! "CHEERFUL!") for more verbose communication. I'd also like to automatically send the emoticon when a corresponding chat sequence was sent (like : ( -> frowny bubble)

9. rocjawcypher

rocjawcypher Guest

Might I suggest the Idea of later in the game there being ingame faces that you can chose from? A sort of charecter customization thing. and these would be once that anyone could mix and match, but their opponents would see what they are saying, not what it would have been otherwise.

You could add in things like someone blowing a razzberry :P or a trollface (Problem?) that you could assign to the number keys, so players could mock if they liked.