1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Slender Man Mythos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tlc2011, Sep 14, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

AND NOW FOR YOUR DAILY DOSE OF HORROR, SPONSORED BY ERIC "VICTOR SURGE" KNUDSEN THROUGH ASSOCIATION.

You know the games.

You may know the film. (The Operator, inspired by MarbleHornets and starring Doug Jones, so you know)

But do you know the legend?

The Slender Man is the single scariest thing on the internet. And, as the above video shows, it's really, really damn popular.

Six minutes. Six minutes of clips.
    So, of course, you're wondering where to start?

There's a list of series the music video used at the end of the video, Slender: The Eight Pages has a bunch of links in its main menu, and if that's not enough go google Unfiction and head on down to their Slender Man Mythos board.

The best series to start with are:

MarbleHornets - the original. Preferably watch it through playlist, as it has a separate channel ('totheark') run by one of the Slender Man (known here as the Operator)'s minions, or proxies, as they are usually referred to within the Mythos-specific boards. Has finished after five whole years of pants-ruining horror.

TribeTwelve - this is the one for guys who don't want to watch multiple channels, but it's not finished. Features the terrifying abomination that is the Observer (who can see through the channel's logo in-universe, just to add to the paranoia) and a Slender Man that has tentacles.

I'd recommend EverymanHYBRID, but it's confusing as hell for a newbie, requires you to follow fifteen different channels, Twitter feeds, facebooks and the Unfiction thread to have any idea what the hell is going on. Features an ax-crazy monster known as HABIT, the fellow creepypasta monster known as the Rake, and many Alternate-Reality-Game elements. Go after it at your own peril; it's nigh-impossible to keep up with if you're not prepared.

So on, so forth.

I should note that the Slender Man is older then Slender, having originated in 2009 in a contest on Something Awful. TV Tropes and Wikipedia both have articles on him, if you desire.

And, you've also probably noticed him in the news. Yeah, the media did a piss-poor job at describing him, so ignore them. Anyway, it turns out he might be a bit more dangerous then we thought, having attracted mentally-damaged children and 'inspired' them to kill people. Luckily, no actual deaths yet.

Don't worry, 99% of the fans aren't that crazy. The other 1% are deluded, mentally-unstable children.

That said, if I put you off watching, I still say you should give this a try if you're in to horror.

So... yeah, this is a thread to discuss the Slender Man, stories about him, so on, so forth. Feel free to post art or tell us all how the game gave you a few new pairs of brown pants, just don't flood the thread and derail it.

And please, enjoy the show.

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Did you know that he's not real? And that 9/11 was an outside job?

3. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Yes, and I also know that the Statue of Liberty is secretly a woman.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or dense, so just treat everything after "yes" as a joke.

Beef likes this.
  4. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Also, Plymouth Rock is secretly a stone.

Mods: BlueLuigi