1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Paid Mods?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Auburn, Apr 25, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

As many of you may know, Steam recently allowed mod creators to put a price tag on their mods for Skyrim. I'm actually kind of torn about this. On one hand, modders do make good content for the game, the DLC sized stuff that people already pay for anyways. But on the other hand, are modders going to actually still try to make quality content, or are they just going to try and cash grab with as many simple mods as they can make? I'm really not sure, hence why I'm asking. I know we have quite a few modders in this community, and have even had some drama about parts of mods being used in other mods (we all know who I'm looking at).
    I'll leave this video here so you know where my broke college ass is leaning towards

2. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I'm against it. Modders only get a grand total of 25% of the money. It's a complete gamble if it's going to be a well made mod or trash or even scams. All the mods are overpriced and anyone can put their shit there theres no greenlight or anything. Only good thing is theres a 24 period where you can get a refund. Also if this goes to other games there could be compatibility issues if the game updates. Then you just spent 10 bucks on mods and youre stuckwating for modders to update or the mods arent't shit anymore. I'd prefer if they just made a donation button where all the money goes to the modder.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  3. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I don't know much about this particular situation, but it sounds badly implemented. I'm not against paid mods by rule, but I think there would need to be a very strict evaluation process. Even then I think it should only be mods that change the game drastically (ie shiprekt in KAG) or that add some decent content. I wouldn't want a flood of tiny changes that can't be sorted or rated easily.

Mods: BlueLuigi