1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Trapblocks need a re-work.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PUNK123, Jun 6, 2016.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Yes, yes, yes we all know this. The devs tried to fix it in their special snowflake way and it just made everyone more angry. That isn't to say that i didnt like oldnew trapblocks it is just that they made terrible trapblocks. My suggestion is to have the trapblock in the game right now work as a downward facing platform for the enemy and a solid block for teammate. No more sharking, no more "free door" trapblocks, and most importantly no more veteran players being kicked for griefing artistic traps. I'd also like oldnew trapblocks in the game as something like a "false wall" that functions just like the oldnew trapblocks fucktioned. Maybe make those cost 15-20 stone. Oh and lastly, to differentiate the blocks, maybe make the entire false wall block the team color.

2. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I think that it's your fault if you make a faulty trap or you place a trap block in the wrong position. The enemy should be able to use it against you.
    This is basically just combining two blocks into one. It will make the block too complicated so it should just stay as two separate blocks. If you see a nub making a trap without platforms just tell them or fix it yourself.
    There also might be situations where you might not want a platform trap block (I can't think of any off the top of my head) and so there wouldn't be an option to disable the platform feature and only use the trap block.
    The developers could give it a try and see how it goes before we come to a conclusion.

3. PUNK123

I think you dont understand the average IQ of a pub player.
    all traps are shit. There is no good traps that cant be destroyed and converted to bases for the enemy. The entire block itself is too expensive to be helpful in its current situation. First it relies on the other team being stupid enough to fall for it and then it is very very weak. A dirt spike'd pit doesnt instakill 1/2 the time so eventually your pit would die, A stone spiked pit can be cleared by a builder or bombs, and a sawpit can be attacked from the corner and slashed out. Traps are not useful in their current state and i personally feel like they need idiot-proofing. The fix im talking about is far from perfect but anything can be better than the current state. Eitherway i want those oldnew trapblocks back they were kinda cool in a non-trapblock way.

4. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

As the battle goes on it is your duty to maintain the trap. If you're too lazy an enemy builder could turn it into their base and use it to their advantage. I agree that traps don't last that long but I don't think the devs should combine two block into one.

5. Eluded

Eluded Haxor Official Server Admin

This isn't a bad idea. The biggest problem with team blocks is when people make long rows of them and enemy knights get beneath. Then they become impossible for you to kill and can jump up and slash people when they feel like.

But there are many kinds of structures which benefit the enemy team more than your team. Instead of trying to idiot-proof blocks, we should better educate new players about why certain structures are bad. Perhaps by adding some more builder-specific tips to the death tips we already have. The trap block problem is essentially solved by alternating trap block and downward-facing platform. New players just have to realize that.

Fuzzle likes this.
  6. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Most new players don't listen to tutorials or veterans. If I try fixing somebody's awful awful trap they may scream GRIEFER OMG BAN PLOX and I have to get 4 other people to say "He's doing a good thing, the trap was poor" before the new guy finally understands "Hmm maybe it was bad.". Even then they still continue to make the same mistakes for a long period of time, ignoring the advice of people completely.

In terms of alternating platforms, if you create a GOOD trap, oh yeah it's solved. But if you make a huge spike pit of dirt spikes or a really tall and wide spike pit of stone spikes you're essentially asking for knights to break the platforms and use the blocks as doors anyway. Since platforms can be broken by knights, it's rather bothersome, and forces you to make your traps perfect or risk having skilled knights shit on them, and use them as doors anyway. As well as the fact that an archer can set your platforms on fire and make doors in that sense, or enemy builders can just break the platforms and again, you got a door. Making the trap blocks themselves downwards platforms negates fire, negates slashes, and negates shitter doors as a whole.

Punks idea is perfect, absolutely perfect. You waste less wood while creating traps, you help the new guys get false kicked less for being new to the game and making poor traps, you waste less time on traps in general, it's just perfect. While a better tutorial for every class would be nice for the newer guys, making things idiot proof is also very nice, and allows the community to grow since newer players will be encouraged to stick around when they're not being yelled at or kicked for being bad at the game.

Eluded, PUNK123 and 4zK like this.
  7. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

an_obamanation convinces me once again.
    I now see that once the platforms in a regular trap are destroyed it becomes a door for the enemy.
    And if you place the platforms under the trap blocks its basically impossible to repair without slowly mining the trap blocks, fixing the platforms then replacing the trap blocks.
    Once you combine the two functions into the same block, when it breaks there is no door for the enemy. Ez fix!

Edit: The name is 'trap block' so it should trap enemies like it says. That might be why nubs are not building correct traps.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. 4zK

4zK Horde Gibber Staff Alumni

I have to agree with what punk suggested, an alternative solution would be for trap blocks to be renamed "enemy doors" since they're not "traps" by themselves in their current state

I personally love exploiting the enemy's shitty traps that turn into safespots, but it's infuriating to go after the enemy when they do it (as a result of a newbie builder on your team), especially when trap blocks take like ten hits each to break and can't be damaged by friendly bombs

that being said, I would love to be able to hit enemies with bomb explosions through trap blocks

PUNK123 likes this.
  9. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Trapblocks do their job well, it's mainly unexperienced players making the greatest trap of all times that make it weak. It's used in safe airbridges, team only paths on backdirt, tight spike traps, treefarms etc.
    I think trapblocks could have the following system: hover your cursor on it and tap E to make it open for 2 seconds or so. If thtere's a body, item or player right on it, it will never close back till it's removed, similar to doors, but triggered with E.
    It would easily open your traps for you to do some rutinary inspections, and wouldn't be as dramatic as the last trapblocks fixes were.

bru-jaz likes this.
  10. We've gone over this 1 million times already.

No.

PUNK123 likes this.
  11. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Are the devs really listening to the posts of this little troll that thinks hes cool? I hope not.
    @edit: shitposts*

12. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Why not just add both of these ideas? Because at the end of the day backwards platform trap blocks still don't fix EVERYTHING for newbies. If a newbie makes a gigantic dirt spike pit builders can still get in there and wreck your stuff. Being able to get in there to vanquish the rats though is a welcome thing, and being able to keep knights down there is also good. I can see the E thing being kinda awkward to do but that's actually a good thing for once, as if it's awkward to use in general then the newer players won't fuck up as much when trying to use it. They won't accidentally let enemy knights out and such, and that is doubled by the fact that it's only open for a brief moment.

Both of these are good for newbies and veterans alike. Less complaining and kicking from veterans, less mistakes and less anger from newbies, and more players that stay in the community. Both ideas are very neat (Although I believe the holding E on trap blocks idea could use a little sprucing up perhaps to avoid awkward moments.). ::): :up::thumbs_up::yes::heart:

13. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

14. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Imo, trap blocks should return to soft mode (Teamies can walk through em) The only reason this wasn't liked before was 'cause teammates could fall through into traps, which can easily be fixed by making trap blocks count as ladders for the friendly team. This way, newbies can't screw the entire team over while trap blocks become safe to use.

15. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

in fun CTF there's a team ladder which can be used by teammates, but not by enemies, that could be a good idea too?

bru-jaz likes this.
  16. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I personally like when the other team's shit trap turns into a bunker for my team.
    When it turns out it happens on my team, i just try to swap to builder and place many stoneblocks above the trapblocks so i can hold them until we can wipe'em out of our base.
    Although a new block sounds fun, there're guys like me that thinks this *issue* contributes to the chaotic mess that makes kag so fun to play over and over.

17. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I think it's better to have both old and new style trap blocks in kag.

The old one (Where allies can't walk into allies team blocks) is useful, but I found it frustrating with the new one where you pressed the wrong button and "oh, I'm dead" or "well, fuck, I'm now falling into a spike pit(with no exit)"

I say we should have the old trap blocks 30 stone
    and the new trap block (allowing allies to walk passed it) to cost 40-50 stone

By doing this, you can make a trap useful for when the spikes under it go out, so if the enemy's go into it, a friendly knight can walk in and kill the enemies. This also means you could put "Enemy only trap block" over the void, if an enemy walks over it, your fine, but friends don't fall into it.

So by having two different trap blocks in the game, you allow for more mechanics to be used by making traps or just helping your team in making a safe way across the void without having anybody accidently pressing the wrong button.

18. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

But the main issue with old-new trapblocks wasn't "Oh i pressed the wrong button". You went through the block even when landing from another block 1 square higher. And many times happened randomnly.
    And only 2 ppl trying to climb the same trapblock stair were frustrating enough to get annoyed by those blocks.

PUNK123 likes this.
  19. PUNK123

"why dont we make it work like ladders"

idk. Perhaps the speed nerf might affect the ally team alot.

"But no idiots build stupid things and i want my free doors"

Man, that is a stupid point. The block itself is not worth its cost at this point. And even worse, we cant fix shitter things in kag from new players. We get called griefers and the all knowing admins popin to tell you you are a fucking griefer. I figured it would be easier to fix trapblocks than fix the administration.
    ofc that is and was a giant downside to the point back then. But, i still feel that 90 stone should trap the enemy eitherway. Especially with how crap spikes, saws, ect are. There has also been a discussion about the trapblock being breakable(which ofc could lead to it costing wood instead of stone)
    idk i might still be sleep deprived but this sounds like the best solution to date to fix trapblocks. The devs gave a billion and one reasons why the E thing on the trapblocks wouldnt work, they didnt like the suggestion of the button from mechs into the game for trapblocks, so i feel like this is the most agreeable option.

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I've been avoiding touching trapblocks since the last changes to them were so widely divisive. I totally agree something needs to change with them though.

As much as I believe education is the answer to a lot of things, new KAG players can screw up everything from ladder placement to wood blocks.

A lot of the builders "teaching" them also just give them absolute rules that also lead to mediocre play (such as upgrading ALL wood to stone as soon as you see it, leading to 1 tile thick walls around shops that are more easily ganked by knights). This goes for this situation as well - the platforms into down trap thing is still total crap. The traps are easy enough to jump into as a builder without dying and convert into a bridge or tunnel from the inside. You need access to the trap via doors, and then you have another tunnel to maintain and another place that can jam with corpses. Basically the only "ok" use of trapblocks is in tiny 5x3 kneecapper traps in the battlefield; every base-side use I can think of is fraught with risk.

So, unless we somehow gain a big and sustainable enough population to have active "newbie only servers" (not likely) or have a massive rise in newbie attentiveness (also not likely), something needs to change game-side.

I think in general they need to provide access to friendly units by being "pushed open" like a door.
    I kind of like the idea of them functioning as ladders when "pushed open" by a team-mate.
    If they could be "pushed open" they need to not jam like they did in the previous implementation. Saws in particular need to be addressed (I believe they were previously blocking the traps from closing sometimes)

I don't like the idea of them automagically being a downwards platform for the enemy unless your team can "drop through" but not get back up again (it becomes easy to make a trap for knights but also just as easy to provide a builder nest). We've actually tested an implementation of this that @Skinney made a little but it never went further than that.

Button from mechs wouldn't be hard to make "function" with trapblocks but I dont think it's an ideal solution as you're adding more complexity to building them (and essentially mechanisms to CTF) as a bandaid over a bigger problem.

Might be a good case for a "testing" modded server if we can get one of those up within a few weeks. Build infrastructure is still not up.

FuzzyBlueBaron and SirDangalang like this.
Mods: Rainbows