1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

TWA General Discussion

Discussion in 'Groups' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Sep 4, 2012.

1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Want to introduce yourself? Got something that doesn't really need its own thread? Post here! :D

Also, if everyone could please 'watch' this group, that would be great. To do so, follow these steps:
    1&2.png 3&4.png 5&6.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Well, hello, I am here to improve at writing.

Here is a wonderful piece I created in about 10 seconds:
    Orientation:
    Once upon a time there was a man.
    The man was a cool man.
    Complication:
    But one day someone said the man was uncool.
    Now this made the man very sad, because he trusted everyone.
    Resolution:
    Then the mans friend, James came along and asked why the man
    was looking so sad.Then James said "Don't believe that person, you are
    360noscope!".This made the man very happy and he never believed people he didnt
    trust again.Then the man lived happily ever after.
    THE END

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Lol, well, you're story's not too bad for such a short tale, but it's missing a key element of narrative: complication. Basically, all forms of narrative have three basic elements:
    1. Orientation (where the protagonist and surroundings/setting are introduced).
    2. Complication (where something happens that upsets the order of things as they were originally presented in the O).
    3. Resolution (where the problem introduced by the C is fixed--either back to how things where in the O, or onto some other suitable arrangement).
    Your story (being so short) would follow the pattern:
    if you were to fix up the middle ("The man was a cool man.") so that it contained some problematic element. Generally longer stories will play out something like this:
    or even (if the writer has taken the time to weave in multiple narrative threads) something like this:
    noting how you can have multiple problems created at once, running at once, solved at once. For example, if I took that last narrative pattern and added colours to highlight which C was paired with which R you can see how some problems are larger ones carried over the length of the story and others are smaller, situational events:

Basically, a narrative follows the O,C,R,C,R... pattern until you reach a point where all Cs have been paired with an R and the final R has an appropriate sense of finality about it. It's how creative you are in your Cs and Rs and how you string them together that goes a great way towards determining how good your story is.

Hope that's helpful. ;)

4. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Just to tell you, that was a bit of a joke story.
    Still, I am going to add a complication.(a short one though.)
    </br>--- merged: Sep 10, 2012 8:22 AM ---</br>
    Added a lame complication.
    Now going to start working on a KAG themed story.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

6. shadewolf10

shadewolf10 Shopkeep Stealer

Massive noob alert!
    I am thinking of writing a story but I might not I havent a clue where to start, I do have a story Idea. I have a few points for it but well I have no stratedgy and I can't even do spelling and punctuation. That is partly due to lack of experience and partly becuase I am dyslexic. I do not blame that though.
    No need to reply to this since there was no actual question.

7. FuzzyBlueBaron