1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Unable to update.

Discussion in 'Help' started by Jeran_Korak, Aug 14, 2015.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Jeran_Korak

Jeran_Korak Catapult Fodder

Hi there. I recently bought KAG, downloaded it from the website and installed it. I launched the game, and it began updating. Then, when it reached 'Base/Entities/Vehicles/Common/VehicleGUI.as', it froze at 93% complete. The download completely stalled, refusing to progress any further. This happened twice more, always stalling on exactly the same file. Does anybody know what is going on here, and how to fix the problem?

2. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

No idea, but as a temporary workaround you could try adding the file to autoupdate_ignore_custom.cfg ?

3. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Sounds weird.
    First of all when you download the game from the website you should get automatically the latest version of the game and there shouldn't be any need for update.
    You can try running forceupdate.bat in your game folder and see if that helps.

Also, where did you install the game? Maybe on some USB Drive? Or partition where you run out of space?

4. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Try removing that file and run forceupdate.bat as Furai said.

5. Jeran_Korak

Okay, there's some rather baffling things going on. I bought this game on GoG (ver.2.0.0.2), and installed it via their launcher. When launched, the game checks for updates, hashes seemingly every file in the game directory, then attempts to update them. This process freezes on the above-mentioned 'Base/Entities/Vehicles/Common/VehicleGUI.as' file. If this file is removed, it instead freezes on another file that doesn't appear to exist in the directory (a sound effect for wood falling, I believe).

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Windows Download from https://kag2d.com/en/download, and tried installing that. When I first opened the exe, it gave me a message saying that I needed to install KAG to a 'simple folder' such as C:\Games, then quit. Any further attempts to run the .exe file resulted in the exact same occurrences as with the GoG installer; hashing, attempted update, freeze on the above-mentioned filenames.

Anybody have any clue what an earth is going on here?

Clarifying Edit: The game is installed in my C:\GOG Games directory.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 15, 2015 ---
    Several days later, this issue is still a problem for me. I attempted to install the version of KAG from this website to my laptop a day ago. The first time I started it up, everything worked fine. However, when I closed it and later reopened the executable, the exact same process began - the game runs an update procedure, hashes every file in the directory, seems to try downloading them all, then freezes on 'Base/Entities/Vehicles/Common/VehicleGUI.as'.

Adding this file to the autoupdate_ignore list causes the game to freeze on another file; 'Base/Entities/Common/Sounds/WoodHeavyBump.ogg'. Adding this file to the autoupdate_ignore list does not cause it to be skipped by the update process. By this point I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, all to the same basic result. A few times the game has worked properly the first time I attempt to run it, but on all subsequent attempts has gone through the procedure noted above. Disconnecting my internet and attempting to play the game causes the executable to immediately crash when the 'play' button is clicked.

As a side-note, I tried downloading KAG Classic and installing that. It works perfectly, with none of the above issues. Suffice to say this is highly confusing and very annoying. Any info would be immensely appreciated.

Clarifying edit: By now I've tried installing KAG on two computers; my PC and my laptop. In both cases, the results are the same. Both machines run Windows 7.

6. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Try adding these files to the folders, as you have stated above.

Haven't tried this before, may not work but worth a try.

Attached Files:

7. Jeran_Korak

This helps to a degree. It appears as though the game is not properly saving the files it downloads, and the installers aren't unpacking them correctly. As it turns out, the game will eventually succeed in downloading all the files it wants (although it takes 5+ minutes to download each of the above files for... some reason?), but every time it is closed and reopened, it goes through the entire process all over again. In addition, there is a file called 'Base/Rules/Main//Scripts/PingServers.as' that it will never succeed in downloading and will eventually abort, which is the last file it tries to download before finally allowing the game to be played.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Do you have any sort of filesystem security settings set up? As you can probably tell from the confused responses, this isn't a commonly encountered problem; and usually is a result of installing KAG inside C:/Program Files (which you haven't done) - do you have any AV software or similar that might be interfering? If you're paranoid about the game's autoupdate doing damage to your machine you can always run it inside sandboxie or similar.

9. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Also if you download and install the game from the website - it should be the latest version which doesn't need to be updated.

10. Jeran_Korak

I do use AVGFree, if that could be the source of the issue. It hasn't thrown up any notifications about KAG thus far.

11. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

It is not because it hasn't warned you of anything that it didn't do anything.
    What happens if you disable it temporarly and try to update?

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey