1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Underground Fortresses

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Raneman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Raneman

Raneman Catapult Fodder

The most neglected part of the map: the underground.

The underground is a very unique place to build. However, I feel it is worth doing for several reasons.

1. More creative traps
    2. Structures can not be collapsed
    3. LOS is different underground, allowing you to hide things
    4. It protects a vital flank if actively staffed
    5. With bombs, you can build a pit where you will literally fall off the map. There is no way around this trap without loads of time consuming builder stuff
    6. It's easier to defend if you have important things down there.
    7. It can be used to provide alternate pathways, avoiding the meat grinder by having the option to go through tunnels.

jerloch, Noburu, Beef and 1 other person like this.
  2. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

As I often go with "minimize digging", I must retort:

1. Underground is usually not accessible by default. You have to invert time digging.
    2. Going under means diverting resources away from Tent fortification, which cannot be moved underground.
    3. If the exits are sealed, you are locked down there.
    4. Archers have less freedom in the deeps.

I'm sure it can work, tho. I'd like to see it well implemented

Rayne, Noburu and Contrary like this.
  3. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

We need more maps where the tent spawns underground. Everyone loves those maps.

4. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I agree but unfortunately underground maps tend to lead to stalemates more then "regular" maps. If only MM and Geti had implemented dirt not supporting structures, underground maps would be a lot more fun.

Contrary and jerloch like this.
  5. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Shark Slayer

I think that experimenting with having background dirt only supporting dirt would be very fun, and really might be an improvement on gameplay.

6. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

They were going to do that a couple of builds ago and then didnt, never heard why.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Need: double digging speed or more at warmup
    Tent falling, then maybe :p

Contrary, archont and Rayne like this.
  8. The worst idea ever. How would I then make a hole under the enemy tent to make the enemies falling into pits and unable to change class?

9. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

You keep digging until you hit the void and have the tent fall there. Then laugh as everyone on that team spawns in the middle of the sky a gibs repeatedly.

I will say that I agree with the idea that if the underground didn't support blocks, underground maps would be less likely to result in stalemates and therefore be more fun.

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well it would fall to a limit, for example at some point you could dig under the tent in gold hunt IIRC to make your tent a bit underground or make a sort of 'room' for it underground, was cool.

11. Madoka

Madoka Shopkeep Stealer

I think digging in building time is a complete waste of time and resources unless you have a lot of teammates, small terrain to build or too much trees. The current map generator should be more "underground oriented", with random tunnels and bigger chambers.

12. darkroot13

darkroot13 Shipwright

I think we're getting that in the next update with the Wang dungeons. (teehee.)