1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wang Tiles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Furai, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Source: http://kagdev.tumblr.com/post/16119508016/wang-tiles

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This could be really awesome depending on how zombies themselves work. I guess we defend ourselves against zombies and slowly push towards their stronghold? Then do we just collapse the whole thing or is there some sort of other objective, such as an item we have to retrieve?

Also lol @ wang tiles, just sayin'.

3. Hal

Hal Shopkeep Stealer

It certainly looks like a really cool mechanic, especially when the new lighting is implemented as well.

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

You're missing something...
    In my opinion we'll be now able to GENERATE awesome maps with castles! Who cares about some zombies? Me not. :)

FuzzyBlueBaron and Eggnogg like this.
  5. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

Dungeons :eek: I like where this is going!

6. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Awesoooome. I hope zombies have a LoS instead of always being aware of where everyone is and moving towards them.

Thanks for taking over the [kagdev] posting. :3

FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.
  7. Arlus

Arlus Shopkeep Stealer

I think the fact zombies have a castle, somewhere to "live" leads to the following gameplay : During the day you can attack them but at the coming night you should go back and prepare to defend your castle !

Noburu likes this.
  8. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Oh man, I love learning about things like this! That Herringbone article makes me want to launch into designing a DnD dungeon/cave/labyrinth tileset for personal use, if I ever get back into DMing. Of course, that'd just be another project to add to my list of things to do... But still, a welcome distraction. Thanks for sharing!

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

The castle looks rather big, so I assume they'll be crowded by zombies which is nice :D

When there will be LoS, going into such castle or a dungeon will turn out as a mini adventure..

This will also be awesome in normal multiplayer, fighting over such castles and ruins, though slightly smaller sizes could be appropiate.
    I'm looking forward a lot to this build, and if the poor hit detection will be also improved in it, it'll be the greatest update ever yet!

10. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Remember in another dev blog they mentioned killing necromancers? Maybe there will be a necromancer deep inside of the fort spawning out zombies and we must defeat him :3

Fellere825, Noburu and Monsteri like this.
  11. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

We can hope but I believe Geti said that things like necromancers were being reserved for overworld.

12. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Eh, but zombies are being reserved for premium players last I heard, anyway.

13. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

I hope the zombies will be able to climb ladders and maybe somewhat work together

14. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

They will be able to climb on each other.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

They can climb on any walls, actually.

The "line of sight" in dark areas is implemented anyway - you can't see shit in dark areas unless you have a lantern, and even then can only see around you. Zombies only move towards you if they have direct line of sight to you.

Smaller sizes of fort can be generated easily, that's just a large one to get some omph out of a single screenshot. I'm also working on an arbitrary shape-based generation system, which still needs to be ported into the game but should allow easily customised dungeon and cave generation.

16. Xiphosuran

Xiphosuran Shopkeep Stealer

Looking forward to more elaborate details about this. Looks exciting!

17. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

This explains why the walls in this are laced with spike traps and on the right where the zombies are, the wall sticks out instead of being straight down so they can't just climb the wall. Good thinking, I was afraid of players just walling themselves off completely...which would obviously be no fun.
    Will there be an animation of them actually climbing the walls, or will it be the default walking animation whilst rising, same as climbing trees or ladders?

[​IMG]

18. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

If they climb walls, would a stone or two halt that climbing? Outwards, not upwards.

19. Nixito

Nixito KAG Guard Tester

Man. Does no one have a witty one-liner for "wang tiles"?

You guys are too mature for me. I'm outta here.

Ej, Rayne, Valkyrie and 3 others like this.
  20. Xiphosuran

Xiphosuran Shopkeep Stealer

Hehehehehe... wang.