1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Warhammer 40k general.

Discussion in 'Other games' started by AJ, Nov 24, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Let me start with i dont know if this goes here or in normal off-topic.

So this is for discussing everything W40K,the games,the table top,and the lore.
    So to start the discussion what is your favorite race and why?(Why is optional.)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page A referance.

2. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

It is better to die for the God Emperor than to live for yourself.

I just don't understand what is interesting in Ultramarines? Probably most boring chapter of Loyal Space Marines, still they get movie and computer game...

AJ likes this.
  3. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Yeah, this goes here. Though I must say, I'm not sure why you'd want to discuss 40k. Classic was FAR more sound, gameplay-wise. Besides, not enough people play Tyrranids, and so they get nerfed all the time.

4. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

40k thread? 40k THREAD!!!! (prepare for wall o' text!)

I frankly prefer 40k over fantasy, I have started collecting a beastmen army but then the new necrons came so yeah.

I got roughly 2000 points of Spacewolves and a newly boosted 2000 points of necrons (new codex is awesome!).

When i first started i picked necrons because since i was a new player i needed a race that could take a beating (that crons are easy to paint are also a plus.), But the old 4th edition codex was abit hampered with the phase out rule and so my units had a habbit of getting sweeped in close combat. However my monolith was always the crown jewel. old living metal rule made the damn thing nearly UNSTOPABBLE. the 4+ will be back rule pissed of my friends plenty a times when their shooting phases barely did anything when six of the eight warriors came back up. the new rules are at 5+, not as reliable but you get to make it against any attack so it balances itself out.

I then later decided to collect Spacewolves, because VIKINGS-IN-POWER-ARMOR! got alot of pimped out wolf guard units with their own wargear, I even named some of them that stood out. I also got at the moment two pimped out dreadnoughts, one of which was a scratch made gift from a friend.

Also i made this Nightbringer, from scratch. the original model has a 2 inch base, mine stands on a dreadnought base.
    (it costed me roughly a third of the price to make than the at the time metal model costed.)
    [​IMG]
    Size comparison

My first game with the new necrons resulted with a victory for me. Against my friends previously undefeated Blood Angels. BLOOD ANGELS! :D the monolith still shines and the new Doomsday ark and Command barge are awesome!

5. Wonkyth

My issue with 40k is that the game itsself is fundamentally borked. Warhammer worked because it was primarily meelee based, and their translation of those rules to a more ranged system was shoddy.
    Besides, the Skaven never made it to 40k, and they're my army of choice. =P

6. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Hush! They might be listening! I dont want any large-warp-lightning-tank-wheel-things appearing on the boards anytime soon.

Yeah sure fantasy uses neat formations that casually strides up to each and then rub bash against each other untill either side gives in probably makes the game less widespread and cluttered on the table. And unless you are dwarves or elves, youre not going to have all that many ranged units. I also noticed that you get a whole lot more room when you get to kit your lord or hero than in 40k. Fully kitted Doombulls are goddamn terrifying!

40k is fun because most of the strategy comes not so much from your list but how you position your units so they are in cover or concealed from enemy fire. making sure a power weapon wielder in close combat is close to the enemy HQ so he can sneak in a killing blow. Lay down vicious drop pod assaults and keeping units in reserve, making sure a tank is faced the right direction to lay down some pie plates on your foes. The pure chaotic nature of 40k at times is whats makes it so compelling.

Wonkyth likes this.
  7. Wonkyth

Fuck yes that'd be awesome!
    Why the hell haven't they added them yet!?!?!? D:

8. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

I could see the Spaven (Space skaven.. get it?) to be a Nomadic race of scavengers who fly around in giant mish mashes (space hulks?) of ships.

9. Wonkyth

Right now, I'm sorta imagining them as something similar to Firefly's Reavers.

10. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Another 40k game that is criminaly underrated... Necromunda. Gang wars in a hive city. Great tactical combat with very in depth character advancement for each of your gang member. With instead of an army of 60+ models you now only have a gang of perhaps 7 - 12 of them. each with their own aquired special skills and gear. great fun. weapons also can jam or run out of ammo so knifefights are common.

11. Wonkyth

Of course, if you're a fan of the Tyrranids, you may like Natural Selection!
    Awesome game. Nothing like mutating and eating a marine's head!

12. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

13. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

All of creation suffers, young ones. Only in accepting our own mortality can we make a difference. Only in bearing the burden of our failures can we find the strength to go on. Only in detachment from glory, or honour, or jealousy... from life itself can we hope to spare others from grief.
    We are Doom Eagles. And we are dead already.

Yeah I collect a pretty unknown chapter amongst the ultramarine foundings... doom eagles. theyre pretty badass:
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1860599_Doom_Eagle.jpg
    I think im gonna start again with battlesisters though, if they get their new codex!!!

14. Wonkyth

Same site, buddy. =P

15. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

It has a better background.

16. nginferno

nginferno Shipwright

Anyone here play DOW2?

17. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I played them all.And Space Marine.

18. nginferno

nginferno Shipwright

Im chaos undivided. :D

19. Im with you nginferno I play Chaos Space Marines 40k TableTop and I love them.

20. nginferno

nginferno Shipwright

I dont play tabletop, but I'm pretty much a guy with a chaos undivided mindset excluding the urge to commit murderous crime.

Mods: BlueLuigi