1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Forum Warning and ban system tweaks

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by UnnamedPlayer, Dec 22, 2014.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

We have made changes over past few weeks on how the warning system works.
    Warning expiration time was greatly reduced, and sanctions for light offenses such as off-topic were adjusted as well. Bans are now much shorter. Instead, there is a period of time where one's post need to be approved by a moderator before appearing to everyone else.

The idea behind those changes is to shift towards a system based on education rather than punishment.
    Warnings no longer trigger permanent bans, from now on those are only handled by administrators after discussion, the exception being the banning of spam accounts.

We hope that these measures will make the system more fair and avoid banning good members of our community, while providing a good environment for discussion.
    There will likely be more changes over the next month as we strive to make moderation more balanced and transparent, I'll keep this thread updated.

If you have any suggestions/feedback, feel free to drop it below.

dnmr, AdrianC, jackitch and 4 others like this.
  2. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

this is a really big step for the forums, bans could be very harsh and sometimes very undeserving, plus the the off-topic warning really needed to be changed, a lot of the time its hard to understand what off-topic really is.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This is because "off-topic" changes from thread to thread, and will often change within a thread as more people post and the nature of the discussion progresses. Not a lot we can do about that, other than encourage people to closely examine what they're about to post and ask themselves "is this really relevant?". The concept may be a tad ineffable, but it's also essential to having a forum with any kind of order/sane discussion.

hierbo likes this.
  4. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Back from the dead because I thought everyone would get a kick out of this.

Sorry to gravedig this thread.

[​IMG]

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Wb, Dup. I'm unsure what I'm looking at here though?

6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower

It's the private conversation between him and UnnamedPlayer, wherein UnnamedPlayer pretty much says "Our revised forum rules don't think you're nearly as awful as our old forum rules did, for some reason." :D

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

Ah, okay. That would be my morning eyes not having adsorbed their caffeine yet.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97