1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Weapons and Armor

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by JoshTG, Jul 3, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

In this build a match can be seen as two opposing sides each progressing in power/technology while still in combat.

Not to over-complicate the game or anything, but i thought that why not add two more places where your team can progress to get a lead over the enemy and destroy them.

Weapon and armor advancement may allow for more strategic gameplay, however is not too complicated to slow the game down.

My thought was that there could be 3 tiers in advancement.
    Lesser (starting) ----> Average ----> Superior

With weapons AND armor both in play, you have more advantages to gain a lead on your enemy.

Weapons - You start off with a basic crude bronze sword, inflicting less than average damage; however by researching weapon making and bettering your teams technology you can start producing grand steel swords that inflict more than average damage! ( that is if your opponent does not have the proper armor to defend )

Armor - Starting off with battle worn iron armor will protect you from average swords, but why not give your soldiers better protection and an advantage in battle? Equipping your knights with tempered steel armor will surely give your team the edge in battle ( unless the enemy has the right tier to fight you with )

Mechanics - The idea is that if the two opposing teams both have the same tier level, then the game play wont change at all. HOWEVER if one team has a better tier then they gain an advantage. HOWEVER you can combat weapons with armor and vice-versa. FOR EXAMPLE if one team has tier 3 armor and one has tier 3 weapons, then gameplay is not effected at all. Useless you say? MAYBE, but sprites are cool and there is alot of potential combinations of the separate trio of tiers

The best thing about this is IMO, is that it does't change the game we all know and love that much, but still can add to the fun of the game.
    EXAMPLE SPRITES
    Armor (starting tier next to superior tier)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Weapons (starting tier next to superior tier)

[​IMG][​IMG]

</br>--- merged: Jul 3, 2013 6:37 AM ---</br>
    By using this logic knights using lvl 1 swords would do normal damage to lvl 1 armor but against lvl 2 armor a lvl 1 sword would do less than average damage and etc. Same goes with weapons, a lvl 3 sword would do slightly more than normal damage against lvl 2 armor but would do normal damage to lvl 3 armor.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  2. TheWhiteKnight

TheWhiteKnight Ballista Bolt Thrower

wow... just wow

3. JoshTG

eh? good or bad wow?

4. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Ummm, when a player just joined into a long-played match, it's for sure that he/she will get raped by those superior knights.

5. eamono

eamono Arsonist

This is just the weapon and armor upgrades from starcraft, and I hate those, it's just another completely unnecessary upgrade to add to "gameplay"

my answer is no

EDIT: just realized it said "necessary" this whole time :(
    </br>--- merged: Jul 3, 2013 4:49 PM ---</br>

I think the upgrades would be per team and not per player

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Froghead48 likes this.
  6. JoshTG

they would be per team

7. RubyWarrior

RubyWarrior Catapult Fodder

Actually, that new person could just pick up one of those swords from one of the factories.

8. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

This idea,
    in the best scenario it doesnt add anything to the game, and in the worst case it causes a positive feedback loop which results in one team steamrolling the other team.

9. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

I think that it would be too over powerd, and basically what Vania said about one team 'steamrolling' the opposing team.

One side at start of game upgrades armour+weapons+boat other team does regular stuff, build, gather, build team builders get crushed. Game Over for Building Gathering team.

10. You need to add UT ;)

Kazaco97 likes this.
  11. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I like the idea but I think after research you should have to buy the armour and weapons e.t.c. They would have a certain durability to them and each one would cost a bit more. With that idea there won't be wasting of money when you get armour and swords for one life!

12. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

If a thread is dead that really it means that nobody is posting there anymore, this thread has quite a few people posting relevant things sooo...it's not really dead.

I you really think that it is dead get it locked.

13. Retrofit

Retrofit Kami go bye bye Donator

sooooo....

How would the armour work? would it subtract from the damage dealt? what if someone stabs you? thats half a heart, the smallest amount of damage you can take, how do you intend to subtract from this? it would be nice if armour, like hats, would be customisable. but guyz, what are we playing? tf2 or kag? the devs need to finish the game before they can add more mechanics.

The armour would work if say... hits did more damage and players had MUCH more health, I have always been under the belief that people should have about 50 hearts, then fights would be more about skill than luck. maybe less than that would be required and i suggest that that bows would do more damage but if that was the case then armour would be a good idea. Atm armour is useless, unless just for aesthetics.

SMASH1413 likes this.
  14. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

Well isnt KAG partly based around tf2?

TF2 is awesome btw!!!

15. Completely different games but they both use the same colors

Guitarman likes this.
  16. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

Just made this thread as I am interested to hear about what people would like to see! (Weapon/Item wise.)

My first idea was a Crossbow for the Archer, which would be a slower version of the bow, but with further reach and a faster moving projectile. It would have a lot of other traits as well, but I won't go into detail about that here. Not for now, at least.

My other idea I've been thinking a bit about, would be something like a Spear for the Knight - a slower and longer weapon than the Sword, which would work really well for support and defense; much like the Crossbow!

And my last idea for now is for the Builder - a Pickaxe! This weapon would make slashing through enemy stone blocks quicker, but at the expense of the Builder only being able to place Ladders whilst wielding the Pickaxe.

Yeah, those are my ideas for now! Just tell me if you'd like me to go a bit more into detail about the weapons listed above ;) And make sure to tell about your own ideas!

17. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Suggested before, merged with this thread. Read the stickies next time or you'll get a warning.

Froghead48 likes this.
  18. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I think it is a good concept actually. With KAG Beta I have found that games either last a lot longer than, or a lot shorter than Classic. I have seen maps completely destroyed in a hour long match. Where both teams basically have run out of resources to do anything.

I think this is primarily due to the large differences in the mechanics of Beta compared to Classic. Mainly the movement aspect (speed, wall climb, etc.)

In the cases where games take super long, I think having upgrade-able weapons and armor would work quite well. Those who have played defensively and offensively better slowly build up momentum, allowing them to win the game instead of the game ending because all the good players on one team have left from boredom. This kind of system has already slightly been implemented with the Bomb Ballista upgrade.

Having weapons and armor upgrades based around the Bomb Ballista mechanics would work pretty well.

Those are the positives.

The negatives of implementing this (putting aside the creation of it) would be that those who are skilled players (such as myself :B):) who join the game later on would be forced to, in some cases, play against a lesser skilled team who have more upgrades. Say if armor upgrades mean that you take less damage from sword swings. A person like Arcrave (lesser skilled) who has that upgrade fights me (more skilled) when I have no upgrades. He might win because of the upgrade, not because of his skill level. Thus driving away those who like the competitive part of KAG, where everyone keeps the same level of everything but skill.

My idea.

Instead of having everything upgrade for everyone on one team. And as soon as you spawn you have the upgrades again, make them all items. Items that, once you die, break, so that no one can use them but you. This adds a new level to the gameplay of KAG. Instead of having specialty items that you can only use once (which is every single item in KAG) have ones that stay with you (until you die)

Things that you could have:

Axe for builder so that he can cut trees faster.
    Refined armor for knight so that explosions deal less damage.
    Chain mail for archer so he has a longer life span.

Just some ideas. Hope some of them interest you.

19. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Good points.

All I have in mind is a new shop : the Forge. Basically all the stuff we talked about here would be available there. The catch is the upgrades are for one-time only, so as to not overpower one team over the other if the upgrades were permanent. You buy them either with cash or gold, but cash makes much more sense.

If as an archer I could buy chain mail to get one more heart, I'd be so happy because I could survive a slash! :) Armor is not implemented in the game though, and I don't know if Geti has plans for it.

20. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Yeah one time only was what I was going for in my edit of the original idea.

Mods: Rainbows