1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly Log - TR Dev, KAG Editor and Fixes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Original: http://www.thd.vg/post/129827137195/weekly-log-tr-dev-kag-editor-and-fixes

This week’s news sounds like last week’s, but we’ve got more hard content this time around!

Trench Run News:

The “New Art” implementation is under way! Currently we’re just focussing on getting the terrain art in, because it requires the smallest number of assets. This will let us assess any changes that need to be made as early as possible. New map loading code and a simpler map format are being developed to accomodate the new tiles.

[​IMG]
    The graphics in game are currently at this point - lots of issues but coming along.

Because there’s a lot to do to get everything converted, Michal is working on a Separate Expo Version for Pixel Heaven. The most exciting expo feature likely to be carried over to the normal version is per-player stat tracking. We track many stats, such as accuracy, weapon use, time spent in the air, and time spent dead. There is also a framework for tracking more information should the need arise. These stats may end up being globally tracked for ranked matches - depending on how hard the infrastructure is to set up.

King Arthur’s Gold News:

Skinney has been working on the look and implementation of the map editor, “Cartographer”. He’s toying with a simple “paint program” aesthetic. Skinney plans powerful quick-search functionality, to prevent sifting through lists of tiles by hand.

[​IMG]
    The map editor will look and function like a straightforward painting program.

Verra has been working on a few features that are likely more relevant to server owners than players. A few game-side memory leaks are being investigated. Chat and console logs are now flushed from memory beyond a certain length. There is also a decrease in the verbosity of logging of some things, such as entity creation. All in all he reduced the memory footprint of the server, which is a great result!

That’s it for this week,

Have Fun!
    Max

toffie0, bunnie, numpad and 16 others like this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris Batlord Sliftensnurgh Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Cartographer looks like its coming along nicely, keep up the good work boiz ::):

numpad, Klokinator and J-man2003 like this.
  3. _Cuffs_

_Cuffs_ Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

The new terrain artwork looks great so far. I'm correct in assuming there will be background art right?
    Also, the new map editor tool is looking good, it might even get me into map making.

J-man2003 likes this.
  4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

I like where our development is heading now.

Klokinator and J-man2003 like this.
  5. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Damn, each update gives me more desire to play this game :o
    Good job, Geti and MM
    In addition to being pretty, this cartographer reminds me of my picture editing programs "paint.net" / "Gimp"

I refound my "color picker": 3
    Nice Work Skinney !

J-man2003 likes this.
  6. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

gg on this

7. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Map needs a daiquiri wizard that shoots out alcoholic icy smoothies at people.

8. Yay it looks cool... makes me moist thank you @Verrazano @Skinney

9. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Please tweak the breathing system for KAG, it works in an opposite way as it would be logical. It takes more time to breath 100& than to go 0% air underwater.

Blue_Tiger, EhRa, Klokinator and 2 others like this.
  10. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Although it's not logical, I feel like it's balanced the way it is.

J-man2003 likes this.
  11. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Like realism matters in video games, pfft.

It only matters if it is a balanced/entertaining mechanic, not realistic. Unless you're trying to make a realistic game, in that case no one will probably like your game.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 27, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 27, 2015 ---
    Question: If a map editor is added, will people still be able to make maps with MS Paint or any other paint program? I might like using MS Paint more.

12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Of course, it's "just" a tool to place blocks in game, the game will still use png's as maps..

J-man2003 likes this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Indeed, though there may be secondary formats that are less easy to edit externally added that can save more data - eg a cfg based approach might happen down the line.
    We're not going to be removing image loading, but there are some things that the image format makes... difficult.

However, I'd suggest not using mspaint for anything, ever. Last "ok" version was in XP before they removed indexed editing support and even that was super awful. In the context of KAG maps, you literally cannot use some of the more "modern" features (alpha-encoded information for mechanisms) in paint because of the lack of transparency support.

Mazey, J-man2003 and Noburu like this.
  14. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

This is all inspiiiiring. I am on such a high right now, I could fix every problem in KAG with the right modder to talk to.

DragonUnitedtm and PUNK123 like this.
  15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

It is logical. For most people, recovering takes about as long as they can hold their breath. Trained swimmers can last longer, and some divers can literally stay underwater for several minutes, with only a few seconds above the surface before they do it again.
    You've got to keep in mind that knights wear armour, and that builders carry around four metric tons of stone: it's a miracle they can swim at all.
    You could argue that archers should be able to recover faster, but that's not true either; when stabbed, an archer takes the same amount of damage as a knight.
    Under those clothes an archer is actually wearing something about as protective as a knight's armour. (they're just incredibly good at hiding it)

J-man2003 and _Cuffs_ like this.