1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

what the hell is ping!?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by antymattar, Jul 20, 2011.

1. antymattar

antymattar Guest

Hi, I'm new here though I have been playing the game for two weeks now. I dont understand it, what does ping mean? I always thought it was good to have a high ping but I keep getting disconnected and it says that "your ping is too high for this server". why?

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

It's bad to have high ping. High ping means messages between you and the server take longer than normal, meaning you start to flicker about the screen because your computer isn't getting the servers representation of you fast enough. Most server owners dislike high ping users because laggers tend to screw up games by sometimes being unkillable.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

To put it simply: High ping = More lag.

4. sado

sado Shopkeep Stealer

You shouldn't assume he knows what lag means, if he doesn't know what ping means...

Ping is time of response measured in miliseconds [ms]. It's the time in which one simple piece of information is sent from you to server. If the time is low (50-100 ms) then you are going to enjoy gameplay without "lags" (meaning, gameplay won't have breaks, players moves will be normal). If you have higher ping (300-500 or even more) then you will experience "lags" (there will be breaks in gameplay, players will look like their moves were not smooth - for example, someone is in one place then suddenly is in another place... looks like some sort of teleport). So it is better to have ping as low as possible. First, because game will behave like it should and there won't be any problems playing. Second, because if your ping is too big, server might kick you automatically - remember that when you have lags, all players will see you "lagging", which makes gameplay unfair (either you will have problem to kill someone, or someone will have problem to kill you). What's the solution? Play on servers that are based on your continent (server's name usually says what continent is the server from). If you are living in Europe, play on European servers. If you are from USA, play on US servers. If you are from Australia, well... you're out of luck :/ unless the game gets more popular there.

CoughDrop and BlueLuigi like this.
  5. STORM1

STORM1 Ballista Bolt Thrower

what is ping mean?

6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Under the assumption you couldn't understand sado's explantion
    Think of ping as a measurement of how good your connection is. The lower your ping, the better your connection is.

If your ping is low (between 0-100), you won't have that much lag. If your ping is between 100-200, you'll get some lag, and if your ping is between 200 and above, you'll have horrible lag.

Also, don't necro post, that's bad. Google is your friend in these cases.

7. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Slight change to what Kouji said -

The lower your ping, the better your connection *to that specific server* is. Your ping will be different for each server you connect to. Generally, servers closer to you have lower (better) ping. Servers further away you will have a higher ping to and will lag more.