1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point of shielding...

Discussion in 'Knight' started by SpitfireXero, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

When the Knight can keep spamming the attack button and as soon as you drop your guard he hits you again? This effectively makes shields pointless when you're in Knight to Knight combat, and I guess I should learn this by now but when you're taking on two to three other knights, a shield is important. It would be nice if, when blocked by a shield, the enemy would need about half a second (because anymore time than that and it would be too much, honestly. Game is too fast paced) to recover. Just picture it as their sword is reeling back from the blow, like.. in.. Oblivion?

Birdman159 likes this.
  2. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

You block arrows and weaker knight strikes. Notably the arrows.

3. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I would support some kind of stun when you hit a shielded knight.

Eggnogg and Mornaval like this.
  4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

You can shield a jab and punish before he has time to hit you again or block it. Hard to do with lag, but you can see Henry doing it all the time. Try it in the knight challenge, it's fairly easy with no lag. If you're not sure you can make the timing shield bashes have a greater window of opportunity and while not doing guaranteed damage they can give you space.

Also you have to think in terms of actual game situations, ie. group combat. Not even considering archers it is really useful having a guy in the front shielding while another is back charging up.

5. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I have been working out how to pull off that timing of the sword strike between shielding now. It's very powerful. If you're against two knights it's almost unstoppable. Sometimes using the shield in knight combat gives you a chance to throw a bomb right next to you and blow people up. There's lots of ways to use the shield, never ever say it's pointless. You are basically dead meat against an archer without your shield.

6. archont

archont Guest

Fixed it for you.

7. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Lol. Sure. It depends on if the archer is like me and can aim, or if they're just spamming arrows in a pattern like 90% of the other archers. I kill them as builder. Builder!

8. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Also, I'm pretty sure it's "?", not "..."

9. Contrary

I couldn't kill Neat archer vs knight back when archers fired super fast, always 2 shot knights, knights couldn't shield down, their little slash had no range, and they had no bombs.

It's simply a matter of how you play it.

10. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

He's pissed off at me dissing skybridges, so he's trying to get at me now. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

11. SpitfireXero

I've seen you talk about shield bashing before, but what is it? Do you mean when you drop on someone from above with the shield? Or can I do it from the ground? Otherwise I can jump on them but specifically the situation I was talking about is when my back is just about against the wall with little space to escape and a knight is wrecklessly button mashing Mouse1. Basically, what you called weaker knight strikes, Sani.. When he's spamming it there's little time for striking back. But I'll take your word for it and keep practicing Contrary.

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

From the air (Let's say a skybridge) you aim your shield down as you fall and hopefully land on some gormless idiots head, thus crushing them under your weight.

13. SpitfireXero

Right, I've done that before! Wasn't sure of the proper terminology. Has this been in the game for a while or only up until one of the more recent builds? I'll work things out by hunting French builders.

14. Contrary

No I meant the one you can do from standing. Actually there are two techniques. I'll tell you on gtalk...

15. SpitfireXero

I actually am playing right now, playing around with it.

16. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

For me shields don't block most arrows anymore :(

sj67 likes this.
  17. Utahraptor

Utahraptor Guest

The shield is the biggest ally you have as a knight, it gives you survivability, power to initiate fights, added advantage to having higher grounds.

18. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

I'm just going to say that the knight's shield is too useful, and implementing shield stamina will solve any and all problems.

19. Contrary

I'm of the opposite camp. I think the knight's shield should have the appearance of being overpowered. It weakens its power as a gameplay mechanic when you add all sorts of caveats. Personally I'd be fine if arrows breaking shields was gone.

20. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

But archers are weak enough against a knight. Your only chance to kill an approaching knight is when they're stupidly not shielding (rare when they approach an archer), or when they jump (which is a tiny window of opportunity anyway). Even then, it still takes 2 shots to kill them.

I think shielding stamina is not just a good thing for helping archers, but also against those who sit on a ledge who unfailingly hold up their shield. On top of that, the shielding protection angle needs to be drastically reduced (and/or dynamic directional shielding be introduced). If an arrow hits a knight from above at a 45 degree angle, and they are shielding forward, they still shield it (this makes shielding in any other direction than forward mostly useless, seeing as 75% of encounters happen horizontally).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.