1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why are Custom Maps servers less joined than others?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hugio88, Mar 23, 2014.

?

Should The Developers think about changing the meaning of the colored servers?

1. Yes.

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Different Answer. (Please Post in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

This is something that is already for a long time in my head...

Why are (Blue) Custom Map servers less joined than the default ones?

I mean: When you join a server with custom maps you don't even have to download anything, yet its still blue...
    This is not only pointed towards the players of this game, but also to the developers....

For the Developers: Make servers only blue when they have files on them with custom things (like witches etc.), and leave the Custom Maps the same color.

For the Players: Why are normal ones joined way more than Custom maps ones? For me its getting boring to play the same maps all the time, but Custom Map servers only have 5 players online.... (most of the time).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Shadowor likes this.
  2. samcham

samcham Catapult Fodder

That very feel. I enjoy the custom maps way more than default. Nice to see somebody stepping up about it.

3. The modding system flags custom maps as modded, due to the fact that you have to download an additional file. (my best guess)

4. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

The devs should hold a contest for maps packs to be officially added.

Apronymous likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The thing is, blue coloured means "non vanilla" - it seems like that causes them to be avoided anyway. I'm currently talking with MM about maps not changing the colour to just cave to community crying but he feels quite strongly about custom maps giving players a questionable experience, and the code controlling where the server is detected as non-vanilla is more or less inside out so that only he can make the required changes (or I'd just do it and not talk too much about it, haha).

You don't have to download new files for the maps because the map is synced as a separate packet and not saved on the client, but the vanilla-checker picks it up - it does not differentiate between maps (usually .png files) and other images (usually .png files).

Afaik the Aus servers get around this by mixing custom maps with vanilla maps, so that the server is only blue in the browser sometimes.

Apronymous likes this.
  6. Leo

Leo Haxor

Why you don't remove the colors all together and make an extra row in the server list with a "Yes" or "No" if server is modded ? Not even steam cares about custom servers ffs and there are one million plugins for steam games....

7. hugio88

Maybe, they could choose wether it's blue or not, but you can only use the option if you use custom maps...:thumbs_up:

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There used to be no colours and it made no difference to modded server attendance there is a yes/no filter if the server is modded; the servers are also not filtered by default, so you can already see them. We won't remove the blue colouring.

The Action! Classic server was fully populated for multiple days straight even though it both had a mod and custom maps; seems the majority of people just click a random server near the top (ie with a high number of players).

9. hugio88

Well,i think that the colour does matter a lot