1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Will there be hack protection and a level up system for classes and characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JackMcDaniels, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

I don't want this to become like terraria where not everyone plays by the same rules, like for example you can edit yourself in everything you need by editing your characters files, plus no level up system/class system and hack protection helps kill the replay value in terraria.

Also will your characters information (rank/level/class whatever) be saved to the same master server you use to log in with? in other words are you making this in to a sort of MMORPG?

Edit: I made this because it is the impression i'm getting reading your overworld and adventure blog post, where clans (10 or less people) leagues (30 or less people) empires (max limit) would battle it out with each other, team up and such, resulting in an ever changing world. I have no idea how it would work but since the player base is so far apart and unorganized perhaps this way you could bring them all together.

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

You should have posted this in the overworld and adventures thread.

In short, no it won't be possible to hack in your own stuff and maintain it across servers. You will create a different character for each different server.

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just stay the hell away from game guard like stuff, I imagine some encryption of the files will take place if necessary or it will all be server sided but that's way down the road anyway...

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Its almost certainly going to save everything on the server.
    So I guess server owners could hack maybe... But not regular users.

5. Machinista

Machinista Shopkeep Stealer

I dislike the trend of making multiplayer combat games a grindfest of level-based unlocks. Whether you play many hours a day or not, there shouldn't be an imbalance by design.

IMO :)

GHOZT, ChJees and BindNation like this.
  6. BlueLuigi

It is not easy to use a level based system that rewards skill over time, I have yet to see a good one honestly

Noburu likes this.
  7. BindNation

BindNation Bison Rider

Hack protection should be a definite, but level up system? Meh. (In my opinion...)

8. BlueLuigi

There are two options for hack protection.

1)As much things are server side as possible (tends to mean much laggier in general)
    2)Something invasive as hell like gameguard/hack shield/etc, eww.
    3)Some basic protection clientside, not relying on much clientside, and the rest serverside.

Of course, there are problems with every model realistically, for example even if a lot of stuff is server side, if lag can give you any advantage you could easily throttle your modem to produce a lagging effect as you desire which is poop on a lot of games (been dealing with this on Metal Assault recently).

9. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

I'm just trying to imagine how it would work exactly, since the developer said there is going to be a deep and complex class tree.

On a side note having your character information saved on to a sort of master server would allow you to duke it out with people from other servers fairly.

But like Luigi said, long way down the road yet.

10. BlueLuigi

To answer your thing on cross-servers and how it will work: Overworld and Adventures

You could also just read the entire thread, it has some info despite some of the spammy stuff.

11. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

Thanks, thread answered most of my questions.