1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Community App WorldBuilder [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Asu, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

WorldBuilder is a map editor under developement that will be licensed under Public Domain license, extensible and quite lightweight.

Current version : DEV.1

More info and downloading

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Asu

3. kaggit

kaggit Bison Rider

Looks great. Is about time someone made something like this.
    Can't wait to test it out!

4. Asu

Game Maker seems to show its limits (too slow and heavy for the functions I'm planning to do), so I'm thinking about moving to C++ / SFML. Recoding will take some time, but it'll be easier for me to code more complex features, without having a huge attention at optimizing, as C++ is like 10x faster than GML.

Edit : that also mean OS X / Linux native export
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 30, 2014 ---
    "Progress" :
    [​IMG]

Edit : What's done yet on the recode :
    - Dynamic window size (I love you OpenGL, you're not being an ass, not like GM)
    - Tile loading (half-done)
    - Ini parser (half-done)
    - Making a window using OGL in
    - Show a fantastic console, and fantastic logs using std::cout, so pro
    - Threading some stuff

NOTE : I'm beginning in C++ and that's the first time I ever use SFML/OpenGL. It'll go faster as I've got time and I understand how they work.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 28, 2014 ---
    More progress :
    [​IMG]

• Added very basic shader (hq2x). I was interested into how easy it was to do that with SFML. Actually, it didn't last 10 lines of code. Wonderful.
    • GUI class ready. It helped me to get into C++ OO, I realize how powerful it is. I'll have fun! Soon working on KAG-like frames and windows. Also, text with automatic shadow. (It takes up 5 lines of code in the actual code instead of using a lot of calls that could be automatized - about 20 lines of code saved for a single text.). I'll add a copy constructor to make things even easier.
    • Not using OpenGL directly anymore. It's actually pointless for what I'm doing. Even though SFML uses OpenGL internally, it's way easier to use it than a lower-level API (DirectX or OpenGL).
    • Working on tile metatextures. It's known that texture swaps are slow on graphics card. I don't know if i upperestimate its slowness, but this will make stuff faster and lighter. The bunch of numbers on the console are actually the rightbottom coordinates generated from a vector (A list) of rectangle shapes. To make things easy to understand : Think it as a piece of magical code packing up a couple of photos into a single file.
    • Added a wonderful icon in the taskbar.
    Feel free to bump me if you have questions or ideas!

kodysch and kaizokuroof like this.
  5. kaggit

kaggit Bison Rider

Looks great. Keep up the good work :P

Asu likes this.
  6. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

ask me if any problems, I've coded SFML

Asu likes this.
  7. kaggit

kaggit Bison Rider

Very easy to use and it looks neat :P

Asu likes this.
  8. Asu

The software with most likely be distributed under the zlib/libpng license (One of the most permissive licenses compatible with my dependencies - You can use it in commercial or not projects, opensource or not softwares, etc.).
    It will feature an automatic downloader for KAG assets.

About progress :
    • After messing up with some shitty metatextures implants that were giving completly odd output (e.g. always null if the texture was larger than 16x16...). Onilink gave me a link to his metatexture system he's using for his library and it won't take long to implant it. Thanks to him! Edit : It now works! Edit links btw.
    • Some map stuff done
    • Choosed the config file type (JSON, for speed and readability)
    I'll soon work on the interesting stuff - The map and rendering stuff. I'll use VBOs and my metatexture system for higher speed.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  9. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

Hey @AsuMagic
    Are you taking over the project?!

10. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

he is the fucking author

Asu likes this.
  11. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

nvm, i thought about the other map editor, my bad!

12. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

Oh, a map editor, how nice. Maybe I could use it and experiment a little, never really was into making maps though.

13. Asu

Still not dead!

What's new :
    • Mostly finished the tile parsing engine. It's loading tiles from this file and loads it into memory correctly. It can check for most common errors, loads defaults if some variable isn't specified (check out the pastebin file for sky for example, and compare regular tiles with the warboat), parses hex and rgb values, coordinates...
    • Metatextures now working and really generating a working texture using the info sent by the parser from the tilefile.
    • Tried to migrate to Clang and failed miserably
    • Rewrote the color parser (no more random crashes)
    What's still to do:
    • GUI
    • Map system
    • Tools
    • Importing, exporting
    • Brushes
    • Automatic downloader for KAG sprites
    • Optimizing
    • Tile "behaviors" (Water aspect changes automatically for example)
    • More, more, more...
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 8, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 10, 2015 ---
    The project is going inactive since I've got a new SSD and I couldn't get Visual Studio back these days. It's not dead, I'm going to end up the download today and I'll maybe work on it this afternoon/tonight
    Brace yourselves :heart:
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 16, 2015 ---
    Hey, who told you that was dead? ::D:
    STILL STANDING (for now)!

[​IMG]

New stuff :
    • Migrated to Visual Studio 2013 (Not a big deal, but w/e)
    • Modified GUI for a bit, still working on a proper thing so we have basic gui, then I'll do controls, and stuff, for a good user-friendly interface (Which is precisely the exact reverse of this current prototype)
    • Optimized some stuff
    • Fixed bugs
    • Started working on "behaviors"
    • Announcing Trench Run support using the behavior system!
    • Basic tile placing (Pretty buggy atm, gotta fix stuff. For example, this random shit is using like zero CPU with 204 vertexes but slows down at fuck at 208 vertexes. Yes, seriously.)
    • Very important random messages shown at the beginning (EXTREMELY useful! Or well, not.)

There are a couple hacks in the code atm and I gotta recode some stuff quickly so it doesn't become a mess after three seconds. <3

What do you think?

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Woo! Glad to hear you're still plugging away at it, Asu! ::):

Asu likes this.
  15. Asu

KAG modding has quite changed since I've started the project.
    If I got it correctly, Furai will be making a way to export a map directly from AS, and norill is recoding GUI. It'd be wayyy faster and cleaner (for me, since I don't have high C++ experience), and easier for users to use an ingame editor. That's why I am, ONCE AGAIN, thinking about recoding it another time. Hope you guys won't kill me <3

So you may know I've been quite modding for some time already in angelscript for KAG barely since we were able to, about 2 years ago. So I've got a way more deep experience into angelscript modding than in C++ coding, which I've started around, eh, say, 3/4 months ago. I've also been facing some issues with the tile system I was making (if you followed my posts). Plus, users, I think, will largely prefer making maps directly in KAG, allowing realtime rendering and multiplayer stuff, with a good GUI than a buggy standalone program created by a C++ newb. Plus, this would allow me to end up mods I've meant to rework, moarCommands. I'm thinking about rewriting it properly (The original version was undocumented, uncommented, and verbose) and making a map editing extension, moarEdit. It'll be command based first, but I'll set up a GUI on it, so quickly typing guys and experimenting modders will feel more in ease with commands, while newbs and regular players will prefer GUI. So yep, I guess WorldBuilder is dead. Now, say welcome to moarEdit!

I'll start the developement as soon as possible : I'll first make a new moarCommands core, I'll set basic commands, and as soon I have the new GUI and the exporting thing, I'll work on moarEdit. By the way, @Furai, if you need help with this, I can try to provide some.

If you want the sources of the current WorldBuilder, I can provide them. Buggy but, eh, "kind of" working but nothing usable for a regular guy.

16. Asu

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.