1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Would the community be interested in non symetrical maps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EhRa, Aug 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Seeing that a real battle would not be affected by symmetry, would the community be interested in non symmetrical maps, would they be worthwhile and most of all would they be accepted. The last question is mainly aimed at @Mazey

asger75 and butterscotch like this.
  2. Alpha-Penguin

Alpha-Penguin Bison Rider

I like the idea but currently it is symmetrical so no team has an advantage over the other. If maps like this were put into play, the losing team would almost instantly blame the map if they played on it.

3. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

As long as its not a steep hill going down. (As in blue team at bottom and red team at the top, since that's just unfair)

EhRa likes this.
  4. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yeah, more thinking of different middle and layouts of both spawns, but no massive disadvantage (hill etc)

5. Magmus

Magmus Ballista Bolt Thrower Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

A non symetrical mid for maps would be really cool I think, but the map has to be well made to dont give advantage. Or give a "buff" to the team that has a bad position ( like near a hill ) more Gold / trees / Stones; a way to dig under the hill to make the map more balanced. ( bad position but more resources to protect for exemple )

PrototypeXT81 and Osmal like this.
  6. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

no, for me every block matters. only symmetrical maps please. the current asymmetrical maps in the mapcycle are bullshit already.

7. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

I would really be interested to see how it would affect dynamics. <3
    And I'm working on a unsymmetrical map pack right now trying to use vertical climbs + plats without builders to quicken the battle.
    Also, unsymmetrical maps doesn't have to be actually really hard; they can just be unsymmetrical buildings etc.

8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

As long as it's somewhat fair
    Example non-symmetric map that's in the game (by Geti):
    upload_2016-8-18_18-9-46.png

EhRa, Magmus and Vamist like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yep I think providing an even field for building bases is a good idea (and lets you keep resource counts for each team equal, which is important in long games). Going all out asym is a recipe for "imba map" complaints.

Having an asym middle still requires you to be careful about balance - snatchmark is very close to symmetrical for this reason, but you could do it with one team encouraged to tunnel and one team encouraged to go high, and then building ways for the reciprocal teams to counter those motions as well.

Something I'd suggest in general (asym or not) is looking closely at how people will take ground (whats the minimum building required to defend some area, where are the downward slopes that'll be easy to camp on top of). You can extend this fairly easily to asym maps once you understand it.

10. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The only time I've seen asymmetrical maps used was during the ARENA (or was that it? SHARK vs EJ's boys) where one map had a team defending 3 flags spaced on open land and the other team's sole flag stayed elevated on a defendable, floating hill. Other map had a void gap in the middle with one side having the higher ground but the lower ground team having double the amount of resources or something.

It works, but it has to be very, very, very balanced so that one side doesn't just win as soon as the game starts. Only even seen it good in comp matches where people knew how to react and use their advantage of the map.

Kazaco97 likes this.
  11. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

One side of the map will undoubtedly have an advantage no matter how careful, so no pls.

PUNK123 and an_obamanation like this.
  12. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

It also is a ton of more work for the mapmaker for balance. The community is small enough as is and we dont exactly have a plethora of mapmakers so maybe we shouldnt be requesting people make unsymmetrical maps(if someone wants to do it themself go for it but i barely have the attentionspan to make symmetrical maps)

an_obamanation likes this.
  13. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

For asymetrical maps (at TDM) I always tried to give a balance of pros and cons for both teams (reds can pass this area faster but won't have the high ground here or there, etc...); they're just arranged in a different way than the mirror like line. TDM is easier because of the circular and 8-like movement flow, but as Geti said, for CTF maps should be doable.

14. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

What if one team had 99999 trees and the other team would have 99999 stone? Would that be fair?
    Wood is weak but fast to get ( with a saw ) so its easy to replace. The team that gets this can easily make workshops but the buildings won't be as strong, they will be more offensive.
    Stone takes longer to get but also lasts longer, but its still op so they don't get much wood(only from resupplying) so they have to spend it wisely between workshops and doors..

15. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

I'd like see some of the battle of the admins maps in rotation where you have red flag in center and blue flags on each map edge

daskew87, 8x and EhRa like this.
  16. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Not a terrible idea IMO but that needs to be modded due to the red barrier (everyone in the middle will just be pushed to the sides), so won't be on official servers.

Geti and PUNK123 like this.