1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Xonotic

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Smilecythe, Mar 4, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Smilecythe

Smilecythe Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Xonotic is an ultra fast paced, FREE open source, multiplayer FPS shooter combining elements from games such as Quake and Unreal. Beautiful level design, smooth movements and continuously improving weapon balance and features, Xonotic is a chest of gold to that side of first person shooter fans who love to fly around at enormous speed in midst of intense action. Graphics at their best are that of 2007, so it should run just fine in modern computers. If you enjoy Quake/Unreal series you will most likely enjoy the hell out of this as well.

Check it out at: http://www.xonotic.org/

goodyman8 likes this.
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Smiluu, is it better than QL?

3. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

I'll try now, seems amazing ! :eek:

4. Smilecythe

It's way better, experimental and variant than QL in my opinion, even though I like Xonotic so much I'm still better at playing QL.

I forgot to mention Xonotic is a successor to an another free indie game called Nexuiz which was abandoned by it's developers. It's basically the same game but with new developers, project name and determination.

5. palmito

palmito Shopkeep Stealer

I really enjoyed the game, I think I'll play. :D

6. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Maybe I'll give it a try at some point.

7. Kater

Kater Horde Gibber

Gosh you have to be VERY fidgety at that game i don't like those type of games better is Brick Force :P

8. Smilecythe

I feel nervous playing CTF quite honestly as well, when I steal the flag there's always some enemy who's three times faster than me approaching from behind as I run and run trying desperately to gain speed from strafing, rocket jumps and such.

Pizza likes this.
  9. HotRats

HotRats Builder Stabber

neat game

10. Smilecythe

Cool frag movie, no silly set-up action like in the trailer.

11. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

The game is brilliant, however the small playerbase is sort of depressing.

12. Smilecythe

It's small, but it has a very active and well-mannered community. You might not be able to find the best server and a match every time you open the game, but most of the time you will. Besides, it's plenty of people for a game that hasn't been even properly advertised yet.

Here's another community montage for more of your viewing pleasure:

13. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Big and mediocre playerbase = servers for noobs AND servers for pros
    Small playerbase = servers for pros only

And I just want to lame casually.

14. Smilecythe

There is DDC's Beginners only server and admins who occasionally show up and drive away the actually experienced players away, so just go try the game out. If you're good at any shooters similiar then the basics will get to you quickly.

15. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

No. Because I want to lame casually instead of learning how to play better. This is why I played Soldat. Getting better was just a side effect, on public servers you could be lame as hell and still had fun. Here you will always get grinded.

16. Smilecythe

Campaign against bots is surprisingly fun for laming casually and running around the maps. There's also race servers that are meant solely for running around, similiar to Soldat's. Hell there's even a basketball server now thats some serious laming around.

17. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Ok, ok, maybe I'll give it another chance...

18. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Hope there won't be any latency issues, and its a nice change since I'm sick of seeing wounds magically regenerate...

19. Smilecythe

Shouldn't be unless you live in middle east or something, servers covers pretty much all regions. No issues for most of folks at Europe or America at the very least. And it's your time to rejoice because health regenerates 100% scientifically in Xonotic.

goodyman8 likes this.
  20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I remember seeing the other one on Steam and looking into it+demo. There are two versions.

There was an indie version by the name Xonotic and it's really good and open source (this one), but there is another 'commercial' project that's like $50 and it's SHIT on Steam. Do not fall into thinking it's the same game the one on Steam is a literal pile of horseshit, try the demo if you're not convinced.

Mods: BlueLuigi