1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Your take on Naming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sigsson, Nov 7, 2012.

?

Do you care about 'modern' names?

1. Yes-They ruin my immersion

20.8%
  2. I don't notice/Don't care

71.4%
  3. No-I'm up for it

7.8%
  1. 'Modern' Names
    As you came in, you no doubt saw the poll up there. I've been noticing upwards of names with '360' or 'noscope' in them. Me, I'm wondering about how someone would like to play the game (cause i'm no good source of information to myself) and if an odd name or two would ruin the lobby for you. Just think Call of Duty names, and then you got it. So, to the polls with you. Don't dilly dally.
    --
    Edit: Maybe we could push newer players away from unliked names somehow?

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I personally don't care.

Names like that tend to help me just lower my expectations beforehand. I probably won't expect much out someone who calls them self "JustinBieberisgay" or "420xxnoscopexxninjaslayer" or whatever. Rarely are those kind of people actually cool. They tend to put those names because they want to be cool. By having those names, I can just ignore them and not take anything they say seriously.

BlueLuigi, Rayne, feet and 8 others like this.
  3. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

It is the same as for clan tags. i sincerely doubt that anyone with the clan tag pro is actually a decent player. i find those players with those names very annoying as you dont earn skillz just by having a name like xxxextremskillzxxx. it is just bad

ToxicArcher likes this.
  4. You...explained that well. I just do not like the idea of pwnzorxhax50cal in a medieval game. Really ruins it for me when I kill someone named dickfort, or somesuch.

5. I'm gonna start a second account called 420xxN0sc0pexx with the clan tage 2PRO and kill all of you.

6. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

I wish i never put numbers in my name.... :oops:

7. It's ok for dat. It aint 360.

8. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

Phew!
    Although it still drags me into the inescapable category of 'unknown noobs'.

9. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

As annoying as it is, a dude named TITS XxX420SniperWolfXxX is usually liable to cause issues, so it helps to keep an eye on potential troublemakers. Beyond that, I think it's terrible because nobody has that sort of name to represent some part of themselves. My name is Kyzak because a long time ago I thought "Kazahkstan" was a totally kickin' rad name for a country, and in wearing this alias I represent such interest. That's what makes it unique; why have a name if it means nothing at all?

SARGRA13, UnnamedPlayer, feet and 5 others like this.
  10. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

DragonSlayer666.
    Most generic name ever.
    Anyways, for me it's not as a cool story as Kyzaks, but i have my name because i first started really using one name on the internet when i played a game named Smokin' Guns, and i thought "Juaro" was a cool mexican name, not as lame as Jose or something like that.
    But i actually know a guy who made his name by hitting the keyboard with his head, he then deleted some extra letters, and his name was Yauxo. (Pretty cool name in my opinion.)
    Anyways, i think a nickname should be something unique, or something that binds with the first experiences you've made on the internet gaming world :>
    Always changing your nick sucks too. Also, Names like "XxYoloSwagxX" don't ruin a game for me or something, but they're just like really really yukky names.
    In the end it's for the best because i've never seen a guy named like that being a good/prefessional player and they're easily spotted griefers/troublemakers, as Kyzak said.

11. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I don't mind "modern" names much, as in essence this is not a roleplay game and thus does not actually need to be all that believable, it's the gameplay concepts that matter at this point. Let the player be known as he/she wants to be known, may that be "KindSirBananaBeard" or "Uber1337PorcupineSniper". In the end, the name does not define the person behind it, but that does not mean that the statement "first impression is everything" is false.

Although I can say that I prefer short (and medium if it's easily readable) to long usernames. (examples of short: Fate, Sphyrna, Wonkyth, Justi01, Geti, etc. Example of medium-readable: WanderMark, GloriousToast)

12. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

I have no clue whether Meatballs are "medieval" or not, but the logic behind any name is to be pleasing to the user, that said different people may find names pleasing for different reasons, my personal reason for this name is that it is easily identifiable, even years later. I have met people who recognize me from Battlefield 1942, Quake III and Barbie Princess MMO. That or I could be some sick human-meatball hybrid government experiment festering in a lab somewhere in nevada with a 10 year old PC and a dial up connection. Honestly though, you have to wonder about the type of people who find Xxx360nosc0p3MLGpussyd3str0y3rk1llstr3akpwner50calsn1p3r1337haxx0r9001umadxxX pleasing. (P.S Thats an actual name taken from a server log and I keep it in a txt file on my desktop whenever I need a self esteem boost.)

13. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Next person to ask me if I named my character after the Naruto the really stupid Japanese comic crap gets slammed in the face with a cold hard dose of knowledge

Fate and Mister_Meatball like this.
  14. master4523

master4523 Masterful KAG Guard Global Moderator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I feel your pain.

15. blukey

blukey Finest Moustache in the Kingdom Donator

It does sort of ruin the immersion for me, but generally I don't mind, and about my name well... It dates back to about 10-8 years ago, you know what screw that.

Froghead48 likes this.
  16. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

I could care less what your name is, but personelly (Screw grammar :I) prefer names that are unique. sometimes i even steal them if i like them enough (Soz Kouji, your name is unique to me x] )

I got my name from my friends one summer. we were sitting in one of my friends basement playing the same game (It was either AoS or Stick Arena Ballistik) and they all had names like Froghead47, Froghead46, Froghead45, ect. i just continued using the name after that and thats how we communicate nowadays when pwning noobs in some 5v5 game, sitting in a basement. its quite fun, hearing " YO 48, GREEN GUY BEHIND YOU, GOT HIM", and shouting back, "GOOD JOB 45, LETS MOVE UP"

I find it interesting hearing about how you guys got your names too, so please keep sharing!

17. blukey

blukey Finest Moustache in the Kingdom Donator

Ok my story is quite stupid, I was 4 or 5 and my friend had one of those neopet thingys, who happened to be called bluekai, he left andreturned to India and I always liked the sound of blukey. So that name stuck and I used it in almost every single game to date, including KAG, which is my latest game.

18. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

Hahahahahaha, my origins date back about, eh, 7 years. And it's a terrible story. Basically, there were all my friends playing this game (brace yourselves) 'Runescape', right. Now they all wanted me to play. I tried to get out of it by saying i didn't want people to know my name online (I was about 8, IIRC). However they said they all added numbers and letters to their name to make it better; eg. JacksonA, AndyC4, etc. Me, being a sucker, decided to place the last letter of the alphabet in front of my name. I tried to enter it, and it was taken! (Shockhorroretc) So I tried Zollie10. And for a while, i played the game, and it was okay. Then i was hacked. I found out later it was someone from school who had hacked it xD
    Anyway, I revisited the game after my initial rage, and made a new character. Determined to continue tradition, I named my new character Zollie20.
    And, despite him being hacked too, that name stuck.. :p

19. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

I've probably only ever had one account with numbers in the name.
    Somewhere along the line I developed a compulsion to spend inordinate amounts of times to come up with original decent-sounding ones, or guessing usernames that haven't been used yet. Sometimes I can spend upwards of half an hour fishing around for a good one.

As for Jim_Dale, the beauty of this name is that almost no one in any other game has this name. It's generic yet 'unique' at the same time.
    It's just that fucking sweet.
    Except for that one bastard in some game whose title I don't remember, so who cares.

neil_v and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  20. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

lol today i met some sort of player known as xxxnoscopeninjakiller
    i try to make original names that isnt a total mouthful or is weird ie eledragon, X(o.o)X, bloodey