1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

WAR Mode, Full KAG and the fairly immediate future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voxxitronic

Voxxitronic It's an adjective Donator

I want it. I want it right now.

With all these scripted things, maybe I can make VKA a reality. :migrant:
    As people have said before, there has been a noticeable lack of players online since the updates stopped coming. This should bring back not only all the players that stopped, but some brilliant modders, strategists, and cool people (Not that we don't have plenty of those already). When this update comes out, I want flight through the means of sails and ropes. That will literally be the thing I do before anything else. That, and make Shad blocks. :shad:

2. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Every time you ask when it will be out, we have to wait a week longer, thats how these things work.
    Still looking forward to this patch!
    Also, LOL at "no wind eh?" from Shad. Was amusing.

3. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

There should always be wind... or just have steamboats. :|

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  4. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I actually when i first start kag forums i suggested a glider class.

Kouji likes this.
  5. palmito

palmito Shopkeep Stealer

Very Very good!!!!!! :p

6. Daffadork

Daffadork Builder Stabber

What will the new name be? something like King Arthur's war? Or king Arthur's land?

7. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

We wouldn't need a class for it. Just mod a shop so we can have Da Vinci Gliders.
    Naturally, only knights can ride them, featherweight as they are.
    [​IMG]

Froghead48, Cadbury and Jim_Dale like this.
  8. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Intended batman reference?
    You know, cause Knights can ride the gliders, and the gliders look like bats.
    Especially the shadow behind it.
    Yeah.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. jimbo_funny

jimbo_funny Catapult Fodder

of then was rush in next update people would die of hunger so rush is going be a dead art or take all food were then but basic going give you lest builler lest builing and food :3

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You won't really be able to rush without a boat. You'll drown in the lake.

allknowingfrog likes this.
  11. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

So the main island is not even in bombjumping distance?!

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You're dependent on your home port for coins and imports, so unless you find a way to optimise your economy and research to rush the island, outcompete any of the other team also rushing the island, set up infrastructure allowing spawning and farming there and do this while somehow stealing the enemies ability to tech siege (in other words, unless you're an utterly fantastic team), a non-rushing enemy will have better tech than you (since they had more time and energy spent farming for spawns tech and materials) and will then be able to compete with you for mid with a stronger arsenal.

The trick is going to be in balancing the timing so both turtling and rushing handicap you slightly, so the best way to go is fighting over the middle island after teching and farming sufficiently.

Yes, funnily enough we do want the game to allow more than just one play style ;) we needed to artificially prevent rushing in classic because without a tech tree, even if you cant just spawn as military classes you can get an armoury up in 30s and be at the enemy's base in a minute. With techs and more resource dependence (as well as a deep body of water in your way) there's going to be a little more thinking required to execute an effective rush than E->Knight -> hold WD -> spam attack to flag -> WA -> cap -> 2 5 2 5

I spoke with Contrary at some length about this last night. Essentially, you get a bonus from staying home (easy access to technology, the ability to export anything, spawning without having to construct quarters for every unit or farming food, pre-built defences...) but you also get a bonus from rushing (more materials at centre, early set-up letting you get some walls in place to prevent them rocking up in a dingy like you did, and so on). This means that:
    • Expanding to mid too early (without sufficient tech and material build up) means you can't get a strong enough foothold there - without military (-> ability to repel attackers) or masonry (-> ability for your walls to stand up to siege at all) or enough wood to build quarters (to spawn and heal your units), your frontier will be very fragile, and you won't be able to put the materials at mid to any proper use, and you'll likely get pushed back.
    • Expanding to mid too late (once the enemy have set up a good fort there and have had sufficient time to get their tech in place to use the materials) means that you won't be able to stand against them when they push against you, and will have a hard time breaking their guard, due to their material advantage after holding the ground for so long.
    The game balances more like an RTS than like current KAG, which is both good and bad. I'm sure we'll have to do a few balance patches once it's through the door either way ;)

On the subject of tutorials, they're something we'll likely be working on a little later (SirSalami in particular is very keen to work on them), but the community are good at educating anyone who wants to learn in a matter of hours as it stands. It's the people ingame asking "how to shield?" that a tutorial just will not help, unless we make it mandatory.

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just as an addendum: rofl you think you'll be able to play knight with bombs in the first few minutes of a War game. How quaint ;)

14. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

I find that on a map with one island I can make it to the middle as a builder with half a heart left.

15. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

But what will you do there? You don't have any tech. You can't really do much but maybe place up a few wooden walls and be a hinderance for your team.

16. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

That's not what I meant, I meant it is possible to get to the middle island without dieing.

Also, Geti. I think you miss understood about the collapsing. If a building is built angled to the left it's just drop straight down. Will this still the same in the new build or will it fall accordingly to which side most of the weight is?

17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That might be possible in the smaller maps that you play on atm, but when Geti talks about 'boats needed for crossing sea', he really means what he says --> the big, blue, wet thing on both sides of the middle island will be big enough that anyone wanting to cross will require a boat. ;)

18. Geti

I think you misunderstood: in current KAG there is a bug where it falls more to one side than the other. It will not fall accordingly to which side the most weight is because we aren't going to do a soft-body architechtural physics simulation through the building, i'm afraid. MM posted a video of how the blocks fall on the youtube recently, look there.

Re: Crossing the sea - as FBB says, with the default maps you'll need a boat. No you wont be able to bomb jump, no you wont be able to catapult, no you won't be able to insert-hare-brained-scheme-here. Technically you'll need either a boat or an airship, but that's enough spoilers for today.

Gamerbro, Adelarth and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  19. WalterWulf007

WalterWulf007 Base Burner

20. Nefrylion

Nefrylion Shopkeep Stealer

like in World of Warcraft? or Warcraft Zeppelin? with Goblins? xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.