1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of the beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Oh it can. Don't underestimate the power of words.

Similarly, just like any other creative product, games can inspire behaviour, which is what this discussion is about, not as to whether cooperative or competetive games are superior.

It is true, a human player is much more complex and interesting to play against as an opponent than what AI can ever hope to achieve. That aspect of chaos and randomness that a human player brings to the gameplay is difficult to simulate artificially, not to mention that when you're playing against a human, you have the feeling of equality, consistency and fairness as opposed to playing against AI which essentially lacks the weaknesses and can possibly even cheat, making the game feel unfair and futile.

Among all that is also the social interaction and emotions that AI can't provide as a human could. I get it, humans are fun to play with.

But the whole aspect of setting them up into a competetively hostile situation is what sucks about it. It generates the negative behaviour and that leaks into the culture.

I'm not sure how, but maybe there is a way to make a competetive game, but have it designed in a very clever way that doesn't cause these negative cultural side-effects, but still involve doing the fun actions and gameplay you get from human-vs-human interactions. I haven't researched into this, so I've got nothing for now.

But I do know that cooperative games will work.

2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Like I said before - didn't say they wouldn't, just that they aren't for me. Cooperative games remain interesting to me about as long as solo games - once I've done everything I'm bored and move on.

But seriously, stop this. Not on topic. This is a topic about the beta, but the topic of this debate is several layers of meta that are only tangentially related. Forum rules are there for a reason (to stop people coming into a clearly titled topic and being left with a sense of "wtf did I just read").

3. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

A competitive scene can help a game to stay alive. You should take a look at soldat, the previous game of MM, instead of writing tons of text.

Soldat devs are listening all competitive players for advices instead of adding some useless features. There are always new clans who can play some clan wars during these leagues.

Thats exactly the same thing with kag. Pub players can play vanilla rounds and others can play some matches. Thats how it rolls.

4. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

The part about cooperative and solo games becoming boring once the content is gone has a solution to it. I've nicknamed the whole thing Super Game Technology, but one of the points are that the content never ends and what content exists already does not get old.

I've played soldat for 10 years.

The interesting part about what you said thing keeping that game alive so long is what you first see on the surface. The community collaborates and create new content outside of the game to make it interesting to play.

Same principles can work for a cooperative and solo games as well. Its about the people driving the growth of the game either by organizing events or creating content of or for the game to keep it alive. Competetiveness is just a theme in the end.

But still, Shadlington, whats there really to talk about the original point of the thread? MM gaves us some news, but besides that all we do right now is wait till the game comes out.

5. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

And that is fine. If a topic has little worth discussing then you leave it alone with its minimal number of posts, if you want to discuss something else then you make a new topic as I have suggested you do.

Edit: vampo started a new thread so I moved the posts after this one (that continue the topic) over there.

6. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i find it ironic that with beta coming so soon that i find a game changing glitch XD. My sekrit for now (among a few others). lets say i did this: (XD)
    screen-13-03-22-21-39-37.png screen-13-03-22-22-11-09.png
    also will beta kag have backwords compatibility with alpha kag's maps?
    edit: guitarman doesn't know it yet. i guess

7. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

Xlayer knows it

8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yes, they use the same colours.

9. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

what, the glitch with the spike? It's not all that useful, seeing how you can't build on the floating structure and all you have to do to collapse the whole thing is break one block.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  10. GloriousToast

Silly paca. It is useful. Having a flying tunnel that cant be collapsed easily is useful. What you do is make small things over large things (ie second picture over first one (first picture is a novelty thing). so that it cant be hit really easily.

11. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

That is true. But you cannot deny that it is the common language and that they should stick to their Polish servers.
    In my experience, builders can't even understand the (#) command to build ladders. They'll just keep knocking the dirt obliviously no matter what numbers you press.
    I suggest that there's a mandatory builder tutorial to prevent complete newbies from jumping to builder thinking it's a good class to start with then not knowing what to do.

12. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Xenophobe?

13. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

As far as I'm concerned, a player that sits behind the base hammering dirt is sub-human. I don't care what rights they get IRL, and nor should anyone for the sake of good gameplay. How does it make sense to impede communication in a (formerly) team-centric game?
    As I said, at least force them through a tutorial with as few written instructions as possible.

Ej likes this.
  14. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Behold, a prime example of competetiveness ruining the human race.

...totally not trying to derail the thread again. nope. nuh uh.

15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

To be fair how often do English speakers go on Russian/French/German etc etc servers and not speak their language? I don't really care how English has imposed itself so much worldwide that a large proportion - maybe even most people that study a second language - learn it, it certainly shouldn't be expected of people anymore then it already is. Bad/useless builders are simply bad/useless builders anyway, and rarely does communication resolve that, only how pissed off you're getting with their ineptitude or behavior. Builder tutorial would be very useful for those that are medically incapable of independent learning or understanding however, especially given how tower design will have probably changed quite alot.

@ Dev team: this was more what I was getting at earlier, forgot to follow it up. I'm sure alot of people will be made infinitely less butthurt if pixel art that was gonna be used for stuff like arrow canopies, ballistas, different classes and all that kinda shit were available to people that wanted to mod them in game.

Not really, more frustration due to people who want to mess about in a co-operative creative game getting involved with a competitive one. Sure he's pissed off but that seems pretty justified in those sorts of situations, you could get just as pissed off in a co-operative game if someone's off doing their own thing hindering progress.

16. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

A lot of things might have only been tried once as MM's art is well :P a lot different to Geti's. MM's is one line and a colour :P So a lot of it won't be usable. I'll ask them though.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Beef like this.
  17. GloriousToast

18. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

No idea, but he's got an awful score.

NinjaCell, SirLoading, FG and 2 others like this.
  19. GloriousToast

they all have awful scores... nvm negative 13000 is awful score

20. cameron

cameron THD Team THD Team Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

hey, it was my first game :P