1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1057] Wall-run tower idea

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by DooMAD, Mar 23, 2014.

1. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Because everyone is now so accustomed to the obvious sawmill trap at the base of the tower, I thought I'd mix it up a bit and put the trap somewhere the enemy won't be expecting it. Team mates can climb the entrance by bouncing from wall to wall, but if an enemy player tries to follow you up, they'll go through the wall and into the saw. Archers can also fire out through the nest at the bottom, to stop enemy builders digging through the base of the tower:

[​IMG]

Also has a slight forward slope to stop knights climbing up the outer section of it. The lantern obviously wouldn't be there so it's pitch black inside and the enemy can't see the inner-workings of it.

Suggestions for improvements?

2. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Enemy knights stands THERE. Destroy THESE. Builder come and have only one layer WALL to destroy

toweridea.png

Edit: also, one keg at saw and everything is collapsed

3. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Okay, second attempt:

[​IMG]

Slightly rough appearance as this one was being used in a live game.

4. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I'm no professional trap designer, so I can't judge much here, but that mine in the flag room seems hazardous.
    I assume that isn't your doing, though.

5. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

The mine is sitting on bedrock, so it'll only damage players. I would be suprised if someone just disarmed it (@DooMAD how did that work out durring the game?). The shops don't seem very durable, but presumably they're duplicates. Aside from that nothing particularly jumps out at me except the flag room ceiling thickness. Looks pretty good.

Edit: Just noticed, why is that archer standing in front of a solid block, when that could be a door?

Edit 2:
    I had assumed that was just to hit people who were close to the base without getting into weird locations. But why do you have more than one trap block there if all it's doing is giving a step up to the door?

Edit 3 (and 4):
    screen-14-03-24-21-12-58.png
    I realized I'd missed some backwall immediately after exiting sandbox. It has been poorly seamlessly edited in. Also the ground beyond the pit (and trap block (et cetera)) have the wrong higth, but just pretend it works. Couple general comments:
    • Once a door stops wobbling you can remove the de-wobbling block, and the door won't wobble.
    • Thanks to the first overhang being made of door, entry is much easier. Those old trap blocks are completely unnecessary And this isn't a "the ground is too high up" it works *cough*messedthatup*cough* but an actually works (with correct flooring and all that).
    • The wood backwalling shown above *works*, but in anyone not in on the secret puts any solid block (or solid block tether flammable block) next to the wood... *poof* risk of fire. It's neat and all, but don't actually build like that.
    • The wood doors and platforms on the top protect the shop from bombs, and if they actually break those everyone on your team is AFK, no-one is using this base, or you already lost the base. Unless you forgot to build a tree farm, wood is no concern so use it when it helps.
    • It takes longer to remove the same amount of wood platforms when they alternate higths.
    • You don't need a spike guarding the lower archer's nest, no-one smart enough to be relevant will get hit by those, ever.
    • If builders are tunneling through your drown pit things are pretty abysmal already and more walling won't do anything significant, you don't need to prevent tunneling, you only have to dissuade it.
    • Final comment to other people. Neither of @DooMAD's nor my water pits have sharks or fishy in them. This is significant. If you known what your doing you can walk right out of a shark pit, and extra health from fishy will give you more time to dig your way out. Either of those will make almost any trap completely ineffective. Watch out for that.
    Edit 4: (Thought about these while building, but I forgot to post them)
    • You can be a bit more conservative with the backwall quantity. If an enemy builder wanted to shread the backwall off of either of our building they could do so ally fast, a keg would have just as much impact on the bacwall based support in both of our buildings, and catapults peel backwall off like it's going out of style. Less backwall works just as well.• Backwall should be on the side of your buildings that enemies aren't on. If your supporting a forward building then attach it to your front, but otherwise don't bother. Kegs will eat through it when blowing down your wall and if enemies convert the structure (not very viable here, but still) you can't remove it until you've already crossed the wall. Also bad support only prevents block placement, it doesn't cause collapses; the backwall behind your wall will hold the structure up just fine, and if enemy builders remove that your team already lost the structure.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

I figured another door would be a waste of 40 stone as you can get out directly above or below that area and also at least this way the archers have somewhere quiet that doesn't have traffic coming through and causing distractions.

The map never got busy enough to test it properly, but in a 1 vs 1 fight it was more than sufficient to keep the other team out.

The mine often gets disarmed, but catches someone out occasionally.

I've noticed the little archer nest at the bottom needs some re-thinking, as you can't fire past the trap blocks.

7. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

I like the second one, but having the trap blocks 1 block away from each other makes it really annoying to climb up

8. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

I've found that as well if you try to run up trap blocks without a second wall, but if you're just bouncing from the main outside wall to the trap blocks and straight off again to the doors, it's barely noticeable.