1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1120] Tower of Doom!

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by DragonShark, May 29, 2014.

1. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

Most of the time I go Knight in a real match, but when I go builder,
    hell has come.
    So, I most of the time make towers (always) and the other team protects the flag.
    Here is a video of me building and showing it.

And here are some screenshots. (I recommend watching the video)

Here is my tower when I am in a real match without cheating:

[​IMG]

And here is where I optimise my tower:

[​IMG]

Maybe you guys can improve my tower or give me some tips.
    Thanks!
    - DragonShark

Vampire, TeQaS and NinjaCell like this.
  2. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Try to create struts of backwall instead of one massive area of it. Protection of flags is always necessary to stop bomb-jumpers.

Include some more vertical platforms above the archer trap because as is it is far too easy to climb over.
    Platforms should also be backed with stone to prevent complete burning. That bottom layer of plats is kind of redundant and allows enemy archers to swing up with less chance of being shot.

Try some spikes on wooden blocks before the overhang to do insta-damage to archers. Some smaller, low-mat traps out front, like in this guide might help deter knights with kegs.

Overall, not bad. A bit heavy on resources, and a single keg would provide access to both flags. Even in your optimised one, a decent knight could wall kick around and keg that tower pretty easily.

It's also really tall, with few exits on the way up, meaning that an enemy knight or archer could camp up there pretty easily. Try some wooden doors in between the ladders to stop knights destroying them and to give your units some cover when scaling it.

A tower this tall next to flags is only useful in smaller stalemate maps where the middle is often no-mans land. If you are using this in one of said maps, be sure to place a well defended tunnel near the top to provide easy access to catapults, ballistae or higher ground for bomb-jumping.

DragonShark likes this.
  3. DragonShark

Thanks mate, maybe I could try a new one.

4. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Nice video, though. Makes the tower look like a beast.

5. dinotree

dinotree Shark Slayer

What happens if in the optimized one a teammate falls through the one way block that leads to a trap? Will they have to suicide or is there some way I didn't notice to get out of it?

6. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Nice video Dragon, looks good, come build it for me in CTF pls..

7. DragonShark

Yes, I will Sean. *whispers in himself* Soon... :rekt:

8. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Couple small error that I see.
    In the Archer-area (trap-blocks so not to fall), the trap block on the end may be deadly.
    And archer can get up through that, some knights can skillfully bomb-jump through there.
    It adds a small lane for a battle-builder to get through.

The "Anti-Archer" area up top can be traversed by the ones well-versed in grappling on platforms.
    You just need to use your momentum to attach to them, and fling yourselves over (much like you did).
    Then, they can just take out your knights as they try to get up using the ladders.
    Maybe try to add some doors going up the tower, so if they do get through, they can't just shoot down on the knights forever, taking away precious time from your team.

Terrible Emote diagram:

:castle_bg::door::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::door::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall:

9. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

What screen recorder did you use? :# + awesome base dude