1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A Guide to FALL DAMAGE for Village Idiots

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by ParaLogia, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Introduction
    Skip if you hate reading:
    Life as a medieval warrior is unforgiving. There are myriad possibilities when it comes to your inevitable demise: shot full of arrows, crushed by a boulder, gibbed by a keg. The list goes on.

Many times, your death will serve to bring glory to your king. There is no shame in sacrificing your body to protect your royal banner. What is shameful, I daresay, is throwing your life away for no purpose. Unnecessary deaths will only weaken the morale of your comrades.

I hope to impart my knowledge upon you, that you may avoid needless harm. Specifically, I want to tell you about fall damage.

<I'm stepping out of character now, because it's annoying to keep writing like that.>

I remember how certain players in classic KAG would "research" various features of the game, before publishing their results on the forum. I always loved the effort that people put into these, so I think it's sorta sad that the trend hasn't continued into Release KAG.

I was inspired by this thread to make a chart that helps people understand fall damage.

FallDamageChart.png

Data
    For all classes:
    • Falling less than 11.5 blocks will not stun (SAFE) ::):
    • Falling 12-15 blocks will stun you with no damage (STUN) :anger:
      • The same result occurs if you jump from a height of 9 blocks
    • Falling 16-22 blocks will stun you and damage you for half a heart (1/2 DMG) :anger: , 1/2:heart:
      • The same result occurs if you jump from a height of 14 blocks
    • Falling 23-32 blocks will stun you and damage you for one heart (1 DMG) :anger:, 1:heart:
      • The same result occurs if you jump from a height of 21 blocks
    • Falling 33+ blocks will kill you on impact (INSTAKILL) :skull:
      • The same result occurs if you jump from a height of 30 blocks
    Knight only:
    • If you slash down while dropping from a height of 8 blocks, you will get stunned :anger:
    • Parachuting from a height of 23 blocks will stun you with no damage :anger:
    • Parachuting from a height of 30 blocks will stun you and damage you for half a heart :anger:, 1/2:heart:
    • Parachuting from a height of 38 blocks will stun you and damage you for one heart :anger:, 1:heart:
    • Parachuting from a height of 49 blocks will kill you on impact (not shown on chart) :skull:
    Interpretation of Results
    So far, I have made two conclusions from this research. Hopefully you, the reader, can draw a few of your own.
    • Based on the height from which knights get stunned, 7 blocks is a good exit height for small matches (such as gather). That way, your knights can slash down at enemies in the front, without the risk of being stunned.
    • I have too much free time

Please share your thoughts and inferences.

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Nice work @ParaLogia. Maybe research how many trampolines you need to get maximum acceleration before it's pointless to add more? Thanks.

3. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Now I'm gonna to count how tall is every tower before I jump :rekt:

4. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

sees knight
    calculates exact height and slash distance, if you'll jump or not, and if it'll work
    by the time you're done game is over and everyone left match

5. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

What about the odd times a builder will fall from a sky bridge and land on the floor unscathed, only stun. Does it have to do with the block corners? So could I just aim for block corners and then jump safely?

Also is there a height at which Il fall so fast il damage a block? or is that only for when you get launched from a catapult and slam into a wall.

6. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

10/10 Para op

7. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I was going to make a comment on that, but I guess I forgot. The values I gave in the OP aren't as reliable as they may have been in classic, because there are other factors that can affect your fall damage, like horizontal velocity, lag, and whether you clip the corner of the block as you walk off.

The most common reason I see for escaping a long fall unscathed is block corners, as you said. I haven't been able to replicate those results consistently though.

EDIT: Okaayyy, so after a bit of testing, it seems that hitting corners can give some really weird results. Sometimes, hitting a corner will reduce the damage that you take (like taking half a heart from a 1 DMG zone). Other times, however, it can increase the damage. I was taking 2 hearts and 1.5 hearts from corner hits, which are impossible when falling onto a flat surface (and when I was in 1 DMG zones). At first, I thought the increased damage was from hitting 2 blocks in quick successions, but it even happens when you hit the corner of a 1-block-wide tower. I guess they just do more damage because they're sharp?

EDIT2: There are a few more things that I can test when I feel motivated, so you can probably expect a part 2.

Tern likes this.
  8. thank you thank you thank you thank you

this is extremely useful

9. noname42

noname42 Shipwright

look at how damaged the floor is where he hit the ground :eek:

Anonymuse likes this.