1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Traps are really pointless if you think about it...

Discussion in 'Builder' started by amgtree, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

It would be more effective with downward plats

But that's true for all walls

2. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

This is a thread about traps not towers. 78787878

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  3. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

best trap/tower thing img.png

Draco1991 and Potatobird like this.
  4. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

That is cancer and you know it

makmoud98 likes this.
  5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Towers are traps, from a certain perspective

poorly made towers are a waste of time/resources and can be turned against the builder

therefore not all traps are pointless

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  6. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

:water_bomb::water_arrow::bucket::noburu:!!!
    --- Double Post Merged, May 7, 2015, Original Post Date: May 7, 2015 ---
    Here's the actual best trap/tower thing

[​IMG]

Wait, this actually is pretty good

8. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Potato that costs too much stone mine only costs like 110

Tern likes this.
  9. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

That looks hilarious

10. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

:builder::no: :bomb_arrow::yes: :kappa:

Why would anyone even fall for that trap? Knights will just destroy the platforms.

11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Made a super simple version with wood spikes - you could hop over it and I still got a few kills. people dumb, yo

12. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

Have to agree with most of this thread. Almost every trap is rather useless now in the game. While they work against the inexperienced, most end up being turned against you by smart players.

One use for traps, though, I feel does exist. If you're tunneling under the enemy base and enemy builder(s) and/or knights come at you, well placed spikes (on dirt/wood) can damage them or even kill them and allow you to continue on your way. The amount of kills I've gotten doing that is higher than with surface traps, and it only costs 30 stone (or a bit more if you place more spikes further back).

13. Potatobird

Then you grow a tree in front of it. And that's exactly why it works- knights see platforms, go all "hulk SLASH" on them, then get stuck. Platforms are also really good to repair because you get a lot of money for making them

14. Forsooth

Forsooth Catapult Fodder

Small, easy-to-construct traps are useful in one specific context: To distract the enemy while they're fighting someone else (or, alternatively, to take advantage of this distraction.) Usually this amounts to just dropping some spikes in key places. Occasionally a sawmill with a trap block above it is also useful, provided you can put it someplace where the enemy won't be able to spare the time to think about it (like at the bottom of your wall.) The trap will never do anything on its own, but in a crowded map, if you can make the area nearly impossible for the enemy to fight in, it's worth devoting a few moments to dropping something there.

Another advantage to just dropping spikes in key places is that they can't be turned against you. Anything more elaborate than that is generally a waste, though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  15. you guys are just all bad at building traps

kittycity likes this.
  16. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

Daskew's Take on Traps :rekt:

Most of the time it is better for a builder to do something else with his time and resources than making a trap.

mousetrap.jpg

However this ULTRA CHEAP one is efficient and can be applied very well in a competitive game:

trap.png
    (being made in this case by the user: @r0ber7)

Max cost:
    Wood: 80
    Stone: 44
    Time to make: A few seconds

:right:If a knight jumps into a fresh one, he can't escape before he dies even if he has a grenade to weaken it too.
    • In fact I did a test where I went into the same trap twice as a knight and hacked away just one of the doors to escape and still knight number 2 was killed by it.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? :smug:

Is it really not economical to potentially kill 2 (or more) knights and/or make the battlefield awkward for the enemy with just spending 80 wood and 44 stone?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Corpsey and blackjoker77777 like this.
  17. Potatobird

The keyword there is potentially, I really doubt anyone would fall for that in a competitive game. People usually have bombs as well, but small traps like that are definitely the way to go if you want to make traps. In pubs stuff like that works all the time because you also just have more people per game. I've seen people coating the ground with these traps

You could make it better by putting downward facing tramps to the side of the spike, they absorb bomb explosions.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  18. r0ber7

r0ber7 Shopkeep Stealer

I spammed them for a few days. I would spawn as builder, mine until I had 100 stone, and go. With a few seconds mining you can set up two of these. The wood tends to break the most, but if you have a tree farm the maintenance is negligible. If placed in high-traffic areas where a lot of falling happens, you can get a lot of cash quickly. They are also very good at causing ragequits. :-P

daskew87 likes this.
  19. watermelon200

watermelon200 Catapult Fodder

normally when i make traps i just lay a bunch of stone blocks everywhere then throw some spikes on them
    :spikes::spikes::spikes:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall: