1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Offensive Drill Play

Discussion in 'Builder' started by SirDangalang, Sep 7, 2015.

1. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

As most things in KAG I tend to pick up skills by watching other exceptionally good players and trying it myself to git gud skrub.

In this case it was watching @makmoud98 during my first (and only since it's not really my cup of tea) Gather match and his use of a drill offensively. :B)::flex::hammer:

It's ability to breach the strongest defense and walls combined with a water bucket is undoubtedly strong. However where the drill really shines is how the drill can be used to kill enemy players. It actually gives the builder the ability to be an offensive class in a very unique way; you have to completely outsmart and surprise your opponent to succeed.

This can range from faking the fact you have a drill luring an archer or builder in for the kill, to literally building situations that force favourable engagements e.g drilling an archer that grapples up from an overhang.

I wanted to make this discussion as a reply to @Gofio and his post below. :wink:
    In my opinion the drill balances this out very well. For 100 stone and 25 coins you get a weapon that if you play well can last you for quite sometime in a match unlike a consumable.

Suprisingly I have not only been able to kill multiple archers in one go in a pinch but also killed full health knights when facing off one on one.

I can go on but want to leave some stuff for discussion. As a starting point, is it worth for a team builder to make a drill every time he goes out to the front line? :potato:

Can this substitute for a flat out increase in pick damage?

2. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I think drills should be cheaper, 100 stone is just over the top especially considering it costs coins too. 80 coins and no mats, or something.

And I agree drills can be a great weapon, because it scares the shit out of me when you have one. I still haven't figured out how you do it, because i'm not very good with them. I bet I still couldn't beat you in a drill fight. Because of that and the cost I don't buy them very often, but do find myself wishing I had one regularly.

Sytoplasma likes this.
  3. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

50 coins and 50 stone should be fine imo

heX_ and blackjoker77777 like this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No, not every time. If you think you're going to have active support the stone can be better spent on doors that the enemy will need a builder or explosives to remove; but if you think your support wont stick around long enough or they have enemy builders that you need to get a leg up on, I'd recommend taking the drill. Drills are extra viable if you have teamies periodically dropping res in the storage for you, which is why you see them more in gather.

5. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

i used to make a drill every time, but i think its very wasteful unless you are really careful. then again, being very careful isnt very offensive

Geti likes this.
  6. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

It breaks too easily, overheats too fast, and costs too much considering the small amount of blocks it destroys. I like drills and they're fun to use but I rarely use them unless I'm really desperate trying to breach something. It's usually against enemy builders that spam too many mats. Drills are cool and all but I wish there was a better way to tell when they're about to break. They should also destroy back wall at little to no cost towards overheating. I think the axe would be a better implementation for combat

7. Mariox222

Mariox222 Arsonist
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Drilling builders caught me off guard many times as a knight because I got used to defenceless builders. Drills can deal 4 hearts before knight jabs 3 times (as much as I remember). In my opinion it's fair and balanced as you can just hold your shield up or keep distance or slash until drill over heats.

8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I read the title and thought of this. I was like whoa this thread is gonna be about some freaky sexual stuff. I got disappointed in the reality of the thread.
    WGl8wdj.gif

9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

you cant shield drills

10. Mariox222

Mariox222 Arsonist
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I know lol

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

;^)

whycantwehaveboth.gif

Seriously though, the drill is best used as an ass-pull weapon (as @Ej so hatefully puts it) to get the jump on enemies; you can use it on constructed tiles if needed in tunnels etc because constructed tiles that aren't blobs dont heat the drill as much, but often you're better off spending the time converting their res into your team's doors ime.

BlueLuigi likes this.