1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BearKnight, Jan 17, 2016.

Mods: 101i, Mazey
  1. BearKnight

BearKnight Shark Slayer
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

played soldat, played Kag, love both of them.

but i'm not sure about trench run, since i feel the trailer didn't show me enough to make a good judgement.
    is it worth the price? also if you want to TL;DR your posts you can just make it a 1 to 5 rating.

2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Solid 5/7.

On a serious note - this is the game that I really enjoyed playing. I'd say it's worth the money. I've played the game mostly during Expo we were part of in Poland. We held there as well small trounaments and people really enjoyed it.

BearKnight likes this.
  3. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Trench Run is a very fun game, it will keep you busy for a few hours and an occasional match can be fun, but to be honest not more. There is a big issue right now:
    • The lack of players
    The lack of players is the biggest one. There are quite a few people who own the game, but I doubt more than 500 to be honest, usually there's 0 people playing unless someone feels like doing a bot match, there's a meetup, or a few friends decide to hop on.
    Hopefully this will be solved by putting it on Steam and adding more content (because it could have some more - and it's planned). If you're not low on money I would consider pre-ordering it (lower price than final). If you don't like it you can always refund (I think? THD lets you refund KAG). You could say that this is a promising Early Access game I guess

TL;DR: 3/5 fun (multiplayer) game but not a lot of people actively playing.

SirDangalang and BearKnight like this.
  4. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

It's based entirely on multiplayer, but it has no players.
    Pixel density is low and static: Shizz' text, shizz' chat.
    Controls and graphics are 200% indie.
    0/5

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    PUNK123 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

ditto. If you've got friends to play it with (even locally it's a good game).

6. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

I love KAG classic, but I could somehow never get into the current KAG. Just too much stuff, not simple enough and I disliked the "floaty" controls (compared to KAG classic). I had way more fun with KAG classic than I have with the latest build.

Anyhow, when I discovered Trench Run today I was very happy, as it looks like the kind of simple game I enjoy. Unfortunately I did not manage to get any kind of demo version of it to run. The preview builds all seem to have been time-limited, so whenever I start one of those it just says "The free test has expired. Thank you for playing!". Is there currently any way to at least try out the controls? I really don't want to spend 8€ just to find out that I somehow just intenstely dislike the way the controls feel, as I did with the latest KAG.

Is my only option to wait for the next preview build as of now? I really think there should (eventually) be a free build with limited options (that ideally does not split the player base) to get more players hooked.

BearKnight likes this.
  7. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

@Chaos-Knight ::): I'm quite sure but maybe @Furai can confirm
    If you actually proceed to buy it and your only issue is the low amount of players, please wait until a Steam release (or maybe bundles if planned) <3

8. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

It's a very promising game, I take it as one of those couch-party indie games that can actually be played online.
    I don't know much about this but I remember how much hype games like Samurai Gunn or Towerfall Ascension generated despite being only solo or local multiplayer, and it leads me to think that with a similar marketing TR would rock after its Steam Release, as it offers a kinda similar idea of game experience but it adds online.

Moreover, so far I've only seen players that know TR because they played or love KAG. It will be better when it has players that come from other places.

blackjoker77777 and SirDangalang like this.
  9. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

I just stumbled upon this: https://forum.thd.vg/threads/fixed-how-to-activate-local-multi-again.24732/#post-367719 which actually lets me try out the controls. Unfortunately apart from the "Z"-key and the "Arrow right"-key no other keys seem to work (apart from "t" and "y" to open the chat windows). I fumbled around in the game files but couldn't find anything that actually lets me rebind the keys. Could anyone help out with that?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm trying to convince MM that hiding the downloads is a silly idea currently - if he agrees then just grab the normal client from the site and you'll be able to play offline without logging in. The keys not working is a weird one - try deleting your cache/ folder?

Chaos-Knight, EhRa and toffie0 like this.
  11. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Solid 4/5.

The problem at the moment for the game is he lack of players, as stated by Mazey and the likes. If this game was at its full (currently only preorder) it would be the solid 4/5 as stated above, but with the lack of players a 3/5.

12. Bum_Bleed

Bum_Bleed Horde Gibber

Rigid 3.5/5
    As others have stated: pretty good, but lack of players. I've played a fair bit and still haven't had a game with a real person. (Also no AUS server yet) :QQ:

13. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

Thank you Geti that worked :) The keyboard controls feel decent enough and the sniper is a blast to play. If someone around here is awesome enough to upload their /Cache/player1.dat (or whichever plaver.dat they use a wired xbox 360 controller with) I'd love to try out my controller. If the controller feels even better I think I'll just purchase Trench Run. Frankly KAG Classic gave me so many hours of enjoyment I practically owe supporting you guys :)

EDIT: Woo 100 posts.

Geti likes this.
  14. BearKnight

BearKnight Shark Slayer
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

oh yeah, is there a way i can download a demo? i saw a fella on youtube playing a few rounds on the demo, but now that i think about it maybe you only released one for a short term some a while ago. is it possible to get a demo version for free?

15. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Downloads are now again available on the website.

MadRaccoon, EhRa and BearKnight like this.
  16. TBA_LordKnight

TBA_LordKnight Bison Rider

This current steam release I'd say it isn't worth buying unfortunately, it is very fun at first but the two gamemodes get tiring after an hour or two. Another problem as you've already read is the low player count which I think is connected to the more shallow gameplay. One thing KAG had that was so charming about it was that you could use multiple strategies with your team which kept gameplay fresh but here matches are very short, feeling like an arcade game. In it's current state I wouldn't recommend it but more gamemodes and deeper gameplay will definately help. Along with the devs talking about making personal modded servers available this can be an awesome game!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Diprog and PUNK123 like this.
Mods: 101i, Mazey