1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Waste Kind 0.8

A CTF-like mod with custom visuals, maps and a cover system

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

8x submitted a new resource:

The Waste Kind - A CTF-like mod with custom visuals, maps and a cover system

Read more about this resource...

2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Attaching the modifications merser did months ago. It might crash or not always spawn the character properly. Also it's not updated. It contains a machine gun and a shotgun.

Attached Files:

PUNK123 likes this.
  3. king-george

king-george Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Been looking forward to seeing this released!

PUNK123 likes this.
  4. 8x

State of things:
    At this moment I'm working on balancing the maps and changing a bit the behaviour of the arrows and the character. Moreover, the mod will probably benefit from the work @Osmal has been doing for his own mods: it might get some kind of throwable explosive or item.
    I'm re-thinking cosmetical things as sounds and visuals too.

5. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I just tried it, and wanted to say bravo/hooah! :flex: You did a good job, I had fun ::P: (much more fun than I ever got out of Trench Run, sadly :noburu:)

A few suggestions I haven't really thought a lot about, but anyway:
    • Rolling when crouching and pressing left or right. (edit: or dash / right mouse button)
    • Grenades. (purchaseable with coins?)
    • Some maps with more than one flag.
    • Increase visibility of bullet projectiles slightly.
    A few bugs:
    • At some obstacles where you have to use the speed boost and duck to get under, if you don't get far enough, you end up stuck. (The reason I thought of the rolling thing)
    • There's a shooter's nest on one of the maps with platforms to allow shooting only one way, but people inside the box still get hit.
    • If you fall into a chasm with the flag, you get some funky, flashing animation of the flag timing out.
    • Dead enemies drop coins, but there doesn't seem to be any use for them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    8x and PUNK123 like this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

capturing one flag is cancerous enough. Any more and time limit will have to be raised and the players will rq more often

7. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I'd like it if this used the same stamina bar as dashing. I don't think I wanna see someone just rolling and then dashing after all around the map, it'd be funny but I think it'd get annoying.

Vermilicious likes this.
  8. 8x

Thanks for thte feedback, most of us agree that the mod is fun but incomplete.

Regarding the suggestitons:
    - Rolling could be a thing, perhaps dashing could make your hitbox smaller as when crouching, and trigger a roll animation.
    - Grenades: I've been trying to add bombs, to be spawned at an item-spawner blob from time to time on strategical spots, unsuccessfully. Problem is surely easy to solve: explosives shouldn't damage the map but I haven't yet fugured how to.
    - More flags: perhaps could be good, it would be less different than KAG too. The way Soldat deals with it is once you capture a flag it respawn, and rounds end after 10-15 minutes or after 8 flag captures iirc; 2 flags could fit at some maps, and it adds some dramatic moments.
    - Bullet visibility, I added a crappy fire trail in the bullet sprite sheet itself. A system of particles, or a trail as in Aphelion's Future Wars could work good.
    and bugs:
    - The rolling > somehow I see players like to face those small obstacles, this kind of obstacle saving seems to be very attractive. From my side I can't do much about it, I get lost with code at that level,
    - I've removed all the platforms from maps, they were too fishy. Both small openings and window-doors should be enough for shooting nests.
    - I can't say much about the flag thing
    - Coins, not used, but still in the game. The dash bar covers it, it shouldn't be hard to remove the coin system

Vermilicious likes this.
  9. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

First post in a while, but this seems like a worthy thread for at least one post from me.
    I like that you took some inspiration Soldat (am I the only one who still plays that :P)
    Really like the sound of the new cover system as well :). The fact that you cert this mod simple is a good idea imo.

8x likes this.
  10. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Maybe this would be cool. Have the grenades resupply at the tent, every minute or 1.5 minute, have it activated by space, make its arc be based off the moust and not "body flinging" like most knights do, and make it about the size of a chicken and on impact with a bullet it explodes. Max kek achieved

11. Sylw

Sylw Drill Rusher

It would be cool to get a map palette with all the stuff so we can make more maps!

12. 8x

I'm on it. It's got plenty of stuff, the one I used will be more readable.

13. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Oh, one more thing; if I stand up behind one of the smaller crates, and shoot horizontally past the crate.. it seems the bullet hits the crate (at least the visual projectile). I would expect to be able to shoot over the crate as long as I'm not aiming down. Aiming up past a certain angle works fine.

And one suggestion/idea: some surfaces that makes bullets ricochet.

14. 8x

Vermilicious likes this.
  15. 8x

8x updated The Waste Kind with a new update entry:

Grenades, Item Spawners and old Style Khebabs

Read the rest of this update entry...

Edit____
    To spawn grenades or sticky grenades, use !nade and !stickynade

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    BarsukEughen555 and PUNK123 like this.
  16. Sylw

Sylw Drill Rusher

I finally finished my map with the palette :oops:. I hope you will like it!
    I called it 018 (017+1) ::P:.

Attached Files:

• 018.png
      018.png
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
    BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  17. 8x

Hey the map looks good and creative eventhough it's a simple idea!

I had to tweak it a bit: added some background dirt to add support at most of the tiles (sometimes custom background tiles just collapse and fall, just because), and also made two openings around the mid of the map so you can go up and down at at least 5 points (spawns, mid, and 2 new holes). Notice the last tile of backdirt is blank. It's the one that has sky at 3 sides and something else at 1 side. I did it for putting vanilla weight support at some conflictive areas.

The flag position should be changed perhaps too. I'll add the map in the next update.
    018.png

18. Sylw

Sylw Drill Rusher

Here the other map!
    Woops, I added the wrong one!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    PUNK123 and BarsukEughen555 like this.
  19. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

20. 8x

wow..., the map is just, amazing.
    I've also tweaked it a bit, but nothing big. Will be in the next update too!

PUNK123 likes this.