1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Intro to April - Repo Maaaadness

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

So, we did the whole github repo for base thing, but the repos have been kinda crazy since then.

For those with some understanding of git and friends, here's some detail. For those without, you can probably skip the next paragraph.

I was working on the script texture stuff in a branch, and basically that wasn't meant to be merged in, and it isn't (currently) github-side, but I mentioned that I wanted to merge it in at some point. There was a misunderstanding and it ended up being merged into mainline at some point this week. Some other commits were put on top of it and this makes it "quite annoying" to pull it the changes back out, especially as other remotes have already pulled the changes. While I get this sorted I'm ignoring the subrepos change - after the next build I'll reconcile the repos and things will go back to normal.

As a result, I've basically got to get the script textures stuff "safe for consumption" before we can do another build. This will cause a bit of a delay, as it touches a lot of the API* and I want to avoid breaking old code where I can in the short term. I might do a breaking update to it at some point which will change the default behaviour of sprites and let us save some texture memory, but for now it's the least of my worries.

*(API regarding sprites and particles especially, I might hold off giving access in the GUI functions for the moment - there's also obviously testing of the new Texture API as well, but it "seems ok" so far in development)

As some good news, this means you'll get the script texture stuff, along with a script-side implementation of the pixel offset code and team colour palette swapping (capable of as many teams as you put in the image file!) as soon as I can manage it. There's also fuzzle's materials changes merged in, I've temporarily removed ping bans (you still get disconnected), and the changes I talked about in the last roundup thread.

Also on the bright side, we've been happy to see some interest in using the github repo so far. Folks have been discussing possible changes and we're looking forward to working more directly with the community on changes like this.

In community News

Thanks for bearing with us, and feel free to ask any questions below.

2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

#blameFurai

3. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

*sounds of Rob rejoicing about pixeloffsets in the distance*

So I'm a little late to the github thing, but does that mean we can submit changes to be considered for vanilla kag? :o
    Edit: Nvm, read the github thread, wooooooooohoooooooooooo
    Edit2: Now I'm sad I didn't bother remembering/writing down all the random bugs I'd found in kag code :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  4. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Does that mean you can fix RoS?

hue hue hue

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Shit happens.

It still needs to be tested with mods, but it does give you much more manual control to work around engine issues :) I'll hopefully get some quality time with @makmoud98 in the coming week or two to tinker with this and make sure it's working, as the playerheads mod in particular will need updating to work with the new system and it's probably a good candidate for testing.

Looking forward to having more activity over on github, just hope it won't become too much of a maintenance burden haha.

I really need to check that out at some point, people keep mentioning it but I've never tried it.

Noburu, BarsukEughen555 and makmoud98 like this.
  6. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Yeah, RoS essentially just got killed by major lag and constant crashes, it's mostly delta bug issues that I can't find the source of (ros was made was before I knew about avoiding them). I can send you a copy of the mod if you want, but I think most of the bugs are on my end rather than thd's.

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  7. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

happy to get that working once it gets onto the test build. also cant wait to fix the factions mod archer head bullshit

Noburu likes this.
  8. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

'Party Menu' isn't an unused key anymore because it is used to mark people. It should be moved to the list above it.
    upload_2017-4-11_16-30-39.png
    And just now I've noticed that when I refresh my server list the servers with 0 people (or maybe servers with the same amount of people in it) are displayed in a different order each time. It's not a huge concern but could get annoying if you want to join a specific server but you lose its position on the server list once you refresh it.

Cruxiat and Biurza like this.
  9. Geti

I've made some progress on the texture stuff - they can be used for particles now and they're cleared out upon disconnecting from a server. I've just got to iron out some kinks with the management scripts (they currently don't work between disconnects for unrelated reasons) and then test it as much as possible before release. It's bottlenecking a lot of changes so I'd like to have it out within a fortnight, we'll see how that goes though as I've got a lot of contract work pulling me away from KAG and I'm going away for the Easter long weekend..

@eps0003
    I'll make a note about the player marking/party menu.

You can search for the server name and refresh, but I get your point.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    epsilon likes this.
  10. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

I barerly see some maps in game in official servers. Is map cycle randomised? If it's not that may be the reason why some of the maps are showing up more often. Could you make it randomised if it's not? If it is already random I guess it's just my imagination.

11. Geti

Already randomised afaik but I'll bounce the question off Lucas and Joe just in case.

12. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Code:

sv_mapcycle_shuffle = 1  # Shuffle the map cycle or use maps in order?
    sv_mapautocycle = 1  # Auto-cycle on next map to next map in list 
    These 2 options are set up like this so I assume it's randomised. Unless there's some bug with it.

franek123 likes this.
  13. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Well I guess I'm just crazy, sorry for bothering you

14. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I can't wait for changing my skin in KAG, gonnbe a fresh new player from there.

15. Geti

Sorry to say that this wont make it in the first script texture build as there's a lot of other issues to stomp before I add another layer of complexity and break everything again! It involves changing the engine behaviour (currently the engine recolours the skin to always be the same colour, rather than the skin palette colours) and a lot of this sprite stuff is done a lot more subtly than you might expect.

It is on the cards though and the proof of concept I tried did partly work - I've got a general palette-swap script that can be used for any number of palette swap passes.

PUNK123, FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.