1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2509 - "60FPS Build" - Unlimited Render Framerate, Optimisations, New Maps and More

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey I'm still kind of out of it after surgery earlier this week so I'll check in again after the weekend but I figured I'd help keep the ball rolling:

Re: vsync

I'm in favour of vsync, yes. It's already "on" for windowed mode and it avoids wasting time rendering frames that can't be displayed.

There's a tiny bit of latency involved, but as long as you're "keeping up" with the monitor refresh, it's not going to be more than 16ms of extra latency (assuming 60hz screen etc etc), which, considering a lot of cheap screens have a pixel change latency ~10ms, is already in the ballpark of what you're gonna be stuck with. As long as this kind of thing is consistent and pretty low, your brain can compensate just fine. 30fps cursor in the menu is a separate issue.

It's a personal choice of course, but honestly I think a LOT of these kind of settings are things that people start attributing all kinds of black magic properties to. At the extreme end of this, I've had people overriding settings like texture filtering and compression in their graphics card settings and then ask why kag looks blurry and why the colours are funny.

Re: official modded server and TC

The official modded server(s) is a project all of its own, but in general I'm in favour of getting it back up and running. We'd have to re-poll based on what the current mod landscape looks like. I understand about TC and similar mods not being super suitable for widespread hosting - but we'd actually be ok with hosting a "demo" style mod that points to the official server for it as well. Future Wars had a popup explaining the mod, the author etc, and I think we dumped stuff into the console and server description too.

Would be great to have an AU "tflippy supported" server either way - I understand about it splitting the playerbase but you could literally split it by timezone or similar with a bit of work to carry across progress between servers (dump everything to configs, save map, copy to the next server, load). Could be something to work towards long-term if open hosting isn't on the cards.

FuzzyBlueBaron, EhRa, Noburu and 5 others like this.
  2. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

Just got a 'new' gpu (R9 290X), and I am experiencing extremely bad stuttering, to the point where I cant play the game. This might have something to do with the 60fps update...?

3. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Using the same card, all good here.
    Edit - Actually im using a MSI Radeon R9 290, without the x.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Does it happen if you cap the framerate (which uses effectively the same as the old rendering)? Any common things that happen to cause it, or is it all the time (even in sandbox?)

Either way, can you post a screenshot of the graph after /v_deltatime_diag 1 in the console (when it's stuttering)

If you've set any advanced options in your graphics drivers (overriding vsync, filtering, buffering, etc etc), please turn them off.

5. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

Seems to have fixed itself :)

Geti and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.