1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1026] Does anyone else think the archers should be more powerful?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by BIOBOSS, Feb 8, 2014.

?

What you think:

1. archers are fine as they are

56.9%
  2. they are a bit weak for only range class

43.1%
  1. BIOBOSS

BIOBOSS Builder Stabber

I think there should be a bit more archers in each game, a lot of times I goto a game theres tons of builders and knights but most of the time not many archers, or at least in the matches I end up on. I think that might be because its to hard to defend you self and get kills with them. If anything i think they should be able to craft arrows that may be able to pierce through the knights shields and maybe to a bit more damage on impact, but this is just my opinion.

blobjim likes this.
  2. xRush101

xRush101 Shipwright
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Archers definitely not overpowered. They have 2 hearts for a reason. GOOD archers can be one of the most annoying players out on a map. (I'm looking at you Trembles & Oodle of Noodle). One of the main reasons why I die in battle is because good archers like Trembles & Oodle of Noodle are able to land shots on me when I'm least expecting it making it much easier for the knights around me to kill me. Now when I play KAG and I'm facing up against a knight an archer, I'll priorities the archer over the knight and kill the archer first (if I'm able to) because the archer is ultimately going to be hurting me and my teammates the most being able to take long range shots and land 1 heart of damage with every arrow they hit. It may seem at first that archers are under-powered but in reality, archers have just as much of an ability to take out enemy knights than knights do themselves. You just have to learn how to use the class to the best of it's ability. Take use of grabbing hooks, damage dealt when landing on players, and the 3 shot arrow special along with charged up arrows to stun knights.

I would suggest looking at this wonderful guide made by JTG if you would like to improve your archery skills.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/921-guide-a-laymans-guide-to-archery.16794/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Noburu, PinXviiN and kodysch like this.
  3. BIOBOSS

BIOBOSS Builder Stabber

i guess you have point, it does take lots more skill than any other class

4. Boea

Boea Such Beta

ehhhhhh, ehhhh.
    I really liked it when Archers contrasted knights more.
    It was too much fun to have range (and damage) supplant mobility, when it happened, and getting into fencing battles with knights...

But yeah, archers are mostly a terror against themselves because of their low health, and ability to spam arrows at each other. Try hiding in trees, on top of towers, or behind other knights: Pretty much force them into a spot that they can't readily shoot/spam you.

5. Moved to class discussion.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

you sure know how to make a boy blush...

Yeah I'd say archers are fine the way they are, if not a little overpowered, but knights having bombs really tips it in their arrow slashing-range increasing with velocity-four heart-one hit killing favor.

7. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

If there is one class I think should be changed more is the builders, archers are more than 'fine' the way they are, some people might say 'u no gud enugh knight lel any night can kill archar!!!' but when you can get the highest score in your team with 50% of your deaths being archers (the other 50% being caused by an archer indirectly) ... there's a problem there. If anything I would nerf archers a little ... buffing them would cause the end of knights, everyone would play as an archer :P

8. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I think archer is fine...

Though, nerf knights so they can't slash or stab incoming arrows. Really annoying in close range when knight with one heart just tries to stab me to death and I am trapped. His stabbing protects him from damage and kills me at the same time!

They got a shield for a reason! Or do they? :(

Please fix that!

9. kodysch

I feel that slashes should continue cancel out arrows, but stabbing should not.

NinjaCell and zerd like this.
  10. The point of slashing incoming arrows is to not make them totally unviable while they struggle to close in. As for jabbing, I'm pretty sure it is only directional jabs that can knock an arrow in the same direction eg. he can't stab up and block a 90 degree arrow.

11. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Mfw @xRush101 can't spell my name. ::(:

Seriously though, as far as actual damage numbers go, archers are fine.

I wouldn't want arrow slashing removed, because then knights would be too easy. I just wish that the slash hitboxes were more accurate, so there isn't a period AFTER a knight's slash where they can still hit me/break my arrows..

I wish arrow jabbing to be removed however. There really shouldn't be any encouragement for jabspamming.

Having a third heart for archer would be nice, although i'm still not sure how that would affect overall class balance. (we've tested it in FFA, and it felt pretty good, but that's FFA, not a team mode). As-is, playing archer up close requires absurd amounts of skill in comparison to enemy knights, because if you make a single wrong step, you instantly die. Not to mention bombs...

Overall though, i think archers are quite balanced. Minor tweaks are all that could really be changed without making them crazy OP.

Oh, the one other thing that bugs me is how large a knight's shield hitbox is. If i shoot a knight in the kidney while he's holding a shield over his head, my arrow shouldn't hit his shield... :huh?:

12. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I, for one, feel that archers should be improved. Those of you who don't think so have provided some good arguments, but you've also provided the argument that if you know how to play the archer, then you're pretty useful. I am very good at both the knight and the builder, but I'm not very good at the archer, and I shouldn't have to train to even be useful as an archer if I can just run out there as a knight and make everything die and explode. Honestly. I say we give them something to make them more useful. Maybe a spacebar option could be arrow jab? The developers seem pretty fond of jabbing as it is.

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

While there's long been a community feeling that the archer takes a lot more skill and training to use effectively, I'm not convinced that that's a bad thing.

There's still a massive, massive gap between "pub" knights and "pro" knights, those that have learned slash timing, know how to bomb jump, make prudent use of stuns (both shield and water), etc. The gap between pub and pro archers is even bigger, and I feel that if we "buff" the easy actions (legolas spam) then we'll be both diminishing the returns for the pro archers, and potentially knocking the class balance more off-kilter.

You don't have to train to be useful as archer, you have to train to be able to grapple over everything and be able to 1v1 most knights. To be useful all you have to do is fire at the enemy while they're fighting your knights, or lob bomb arrows into enemy structures and siege, not complicated.

This isn't the first time "I think archers should be stronger" has been brought up, but every time the community doesn't seem convinced, and I can't say I've been convinced either.

Noburu, NinjaCell, BlueLuigi and 4 others like this.
  14. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

But fix so knights can't stab arrows, please!

15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Your definition of struggle and the actual definition of struggle are not the same.

Holding shield down, standing a short distance away, and waiting for an archer to fire a triple shot against your shield or overcharge and stun themselves is not struggling.

Struggling is four archers firing volleys of arrows at a knight closing in while he shields and you do nothing.

That's struggling.

Aphelion likes this.
  16. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

The way I see it, the only issue with Archers is that they're too situational; they're only effective when the terrain is on their side, or when the enemy is distracted by your own team's Knights. On flat ground or in water with no nearby grapple points, they're noticeably vulnerable, and it sucks. A lot.

I've said this several times: A great solution would be to give Archers a sort of dash ability that gives them a bit of a boost in the direction they're moving, allows them to pass through a single actor, and grants them a teeny window of invulnerability. This would allow Archers with superior timing to get past an aggressor Knight or deal some damage to them, even on flat ground.

This ability could be bound to the Spacebar by default, and a suitable cooldown (5 to 10 seconds, perhaps) could ensure that it doesn't become annoyingly overused.

If you ask me, it's just the buff they need. I might just make a thread in Suggestions.

17. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

^Yfw flat ground is one of the best places to 1v1 a knight on...?

Lol i seriously don't understand that part. I rek people on flat ground. I grapple straight over their silly heads if i need to get to the other side. Super easy.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  18. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

My definition of "flat ground" means no nearby things to grapple onto. Hence the "flat." No trees, no towers sticking up, nothing. Flat.

I don't think you can grapple over people's heads in places like that.

19. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Grapple... the ground. You can get absurd momentum just pulling yourself along the ground, i can time between a knight's slashes and grapple over/through him safely. Trees and uneven terrain just get in the way. (I hate trees)

Do you even horizontal bungee? :3

Vampire likes this.
  20. kodysch

To be fair this is really hard. And it would take a very distracted knight in order to get by unscathed. the knight's swing has a lot of arc to it and covers, depending on their velocity, at least one player height above them.

The more I play, the more I feel the archer should get another heart, or half of one, just so a knight can't single hit you. Makes me so mad when I land an arrow on a Knight at point blank, but because of lag their slash lands and they become stunned by my arrow but they don't care because I'm dead and they now have their health back from that arrow shot.

Trumbles likes this.