1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1026] Does anyone else think the archers should be more powerful?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by BIOBOSS, Feb 8, 2014.

?

What you think:

1. archers are fine as they are

56.9%
  2. they are a bit weak for only range class

43.1%
  1. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I've dueled @kedram on a flat map and constantly grappled past him whenever i needed to get in a better position. It's incredibly easy as soon as you know how long it takes a knight to slash.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

yea his tactic of grappling over is even effective against me, and i know how archers think. i get scared whenever he gets close tho ;-;, i just try to think about how hes going to do this. sometimes i get him and sometimes he gets me. trumbles has for sure earned a place in the archer heavens for achieving such a state of archer superiority

BlueLuigi likes this.
  3. Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants Insanity Incarnate Donator

God, if archers were made more powerful, you might as well just quit when Trumbles joins. ::D:

BlueLuigi and Sir_Walter like this.
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Trumbles, I acknowledge that you're a great Archer, but tell me how many times out of ten you manage to not get mauled when you do that against people who don't actually suck.

Also, the speed at which skilled Knights can charge a single slash is more than fast enough to murder you as you attempt to pass over them. The only way you're getting over a Knight between his slashes is if he's using doubles constantly.

5. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Whatever :'(, keep doubting me. It's really not as difficult as you make it sound.

6. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

> Implying skills make slashes charge faster
    If only :(

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

well they do if you know how to. most people who just join cant slash as fast as a veteran player let alone even slash at all. i see people all the time just wildly jabbing thinking its going to do something.

norill likes this.
  8. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Do you mean have the reflexes to charge the slash earlier? Because I'm pretty sure slash charge time doesn't change. Also, take notes OODLE OF NOOBLE @kodysch

9. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

If you memorize the exact timing, you can slash before you see the visual cue. This is what he means by veterans slashing faster. You react faster if you know the exact moment it's coming, instead of waiting to see the flash.

Nighthawk and kedram like this.
  10. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

You died to that jab spam fair and square, enough proof for me that it works :wink:
    and jab stabbing is a very effective strategy against archers::D:

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I can attest to this being more than 7 times out of ten, ofc higher in pub games.

Arcrave likes this.
  12. Trumbles does make the enemy quiver. (Archer pun intended)

Thread related now. Archers are fine, even less skilled players can be helpful by arrow spamming at the incoming enemy, or making arrow ladders to friendly knights. If something, only minor shots interactions should be fixed, like the shield hitbox that already was brought up, and shooting a flying knight should make him fall instead of weirdly pushing him away, giving him enough speed to even kill someone. (And I do know that shooting from bellow makes it fall, just don't know why the same doesn't happen with a front shot)

Sir_Walter likes this.
  13. If they're close enough to you while gliding, then they'll fall. But, of course, you have to be within 10 tiles or so for that to work.

14. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I've just worked out that arrow stun range is exactly 9 tiles.

Klokinator and Sir_Walter like this.
  15. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

The going down to one slash IS super punishing. It means while everyone else is allowed to make a mistake and live, archer's aren't, a single missed grapple or arrow, or a second of lag can be a death sentence. I wouldn't mind another heart. BUT archers would need to take 50% more damage from arrows to even it out, otherwise archer fights would last a bloody eternity.

16. Nay, leave it as it is. There is a great vantage on being so easily taken down: A flock of Knights chasing you around only because it is "Free kill!1!!!" If you get to enter on their base they will go insane. Sit at a high place and distract them as your team wrecks the flag room.

Correcting the hitbox and working on the gliding/arrow interaction will be enough.

17. kelokepasa

kelokepasa Catapult Fodder

yes pls more power! ohh shit in the new Version of kag the archer is crap

18. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'd just stick with my perennial suggestion of: +1h health; +1h max damage; no over charge; faster full charge, and reduced arrow slashing (no more slashing faster/close range arrows?), so that archers don't have to shotgun stun to fend off a knight at 15-20b, let alone be instantly killed.
    Instead, they have the options to engage at close ranges (offensively/defensively), or grapple to escape.
    The close range stunning and knock back would remain, and become their close range defense option (much like a knight has a shield), and not their sole means of doing damage, but, because archers have the ability to attack at large ranges (especially given the damage buff), they should only have that much, overcharge would be too much. But to make up for that, close range arrow slashing should be disabled, because it's unreasonable to block something shot at you, at point blank with a sword; it is pretty much blocking a slash with another slash, instead of a shield.
    (Think of it as Knight = [Multi, Stun, Knockback], and Archers = [Range, Stun, Knockback], but now an Archer can more easily fend off a knight, with slightly faster close-range stuns. Knights get no more shotgun stuns, but they can still be shut down by an archer, much like they would with a shielding knight.)
    Grappling would remain their long range defense option (via escaping), and mobility option.
    Giving an archer 1h health, would allow archers to still be able to take two hits from other archers, given the damage buff, and also, allow them to survive one slash.
    Special ammo stays the same.

Also, the falling away thing, that's a direct result of the knock back arrows have, which is exaggerated when an archer is within stunning range.
    Archers of yore did make them fall straight down, but it was a result of how stunning was set up; that is to say, it had no crazy knock back that sends them miles away. Especially if it were to happen three times in quick succession.

An unrelated suggestion, for archers be to reduce throw range of the grappling hook, but increase its elasticity.
    I say this because I'm deathly tired of how freely and easily archers can disregard towers, buildings, and even large falls, with a hook reach of about 5 or 7 blocks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    101i likes this.
  19. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Fixing hitbox would be very annoying since I and many other archers train a lot with the current hitbox. A new hitbox would make all archers bad at aiming and all archers have to begin from the beginning.

I would be very happy if they add a new special arrow in the shop. I think they should because knights got four things in the shop but archers just got three (I don't count regular arrows because you get them for free at spawn).

Suggestions for new special arrows?

Some ideas: (Don't what they should do, though)
    :spam:???
    - Poison arrow? Arrow that does a lot of damage at impact! Instant death? :skull:
    - Smoke arrow
    - Acid arrow? Weaker fire arrow but only works against stone, scatters like a water arrow at hit and slowly removes some stone blocks?
    - Multi-arrow? Fire multiple arrows at once? Not very accurate. Only works as arrow rain and then it is very useful!
    - Ladder arrow? Shoot it at a wall and use it as ladder over and over again ! 25252525 Though, builders and knights are able to destroy it.
    - Mine arrow? Deploys a mine in the middle of the enemies base! 25252525

20. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I-i grapple past peopletoo ::(: