1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1085][Guide] The Power of Two: Epic Partnerships

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Ricket, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Ricket

Ricket Shipwright Staff Alumni
    1. Ethereal Legion- ETHER

The Power of Two:

Hello again folks, Ricket here again to give you another guide (of sorts) on teamwork, specifically regarding the power pair, also known as when you pair up with another player to crush the enemy more effectively (known affectionately by me as ‘ghosting’).

In KAG there are three classes, each with its own strengths.
    For the archer, this is its mobility and range; for the knight, this is its melee and general toughness; for the builder, this is its ability to create structures and traps.

However, these classes each have their own weaknesses.
    For the archer, this is its fragility and lack of melee attack; for the knight, this is its comparatively low speed and lack of range (though they do have bombs); for the builder, this its general combat inefficacy.

Whilst there are many ways to combat these weaknesses while going solo, such as bomb-jumping for the knight, ground-slamming for the archer, and running away for the builder, it is often both cheaper with regard to money and time to have a different class member with which you have effective communication. (Read about communication here).

Possible combinations of partnerships:
    Any combination of play style/class you can conceive of is a possibility, however I shall only discuss those which I think may have combat potential (unlike a builder-builder partnership).

First, the knight-archer combination:
    For this I have in mind a fairly typical knight: aggressive, yet fairly slow and tough, and can hold its own in combat, and a particularly aggressive archer: swinging from treetop to tree top, stunning enemies by getting up close and loosing arrows into them.

Benefits:

For the knight-
    - Cover fire: Any offensive knights will at least be hit by arrows if you are attacked. This actively discourages them from being overly aggressive, and thus gives you more opportunity for attack.
    - Sniping: A good archer partner can take out those pesky archers that have been giving you grief, or at least make them busy by having archer duels.
    - Arrow ladders: One of the most underestimated elements of the game is the arrow ladder. By simply firing 3 arrows into a wall, a knight can run up the face of the wall without having to wall-jump, thus speeding up the process as well as eliminating a lot of risk.
    - Utility arrows: It’s pretty cool to run through a burning tower, slaying enemies as they attempt to prevent its imminent collapse. It’s also badass to charge a wall, just as a bomb arrows blasts the doors open so you can crack the skull of the smug builder inside. Be friends with an archer and stuff like this will happen.
    - Kegging: Difficult wall to breach even with kegs? Light one up, give it to your archer, and watch him scale the wall to blow it to smithereens.

For the archer-
    - Defence: Be partners with a competent knight and you won’t find yourself running away every time a knight approaches, saving lots of time and opportunities.
    - Kills: With a knight parading around, it’s easy to catch enemies as they are about to strike, meaning you get kills.

Techniques: Try to move as one unit, staying close to one another, retreating and advancing simultaneously; this will ensure that the archer is well-defended and the knight consistently has cover fire. Archer, remember getting up close and personal with the enemy is a lot easier with a knight in front of you, so do it!

That, my friends, is the archer-knight combo, my personal favourite.

Now, the knight-builder:
    For this it is necessary to have an aggressive builder with a fairly defensive knight, as the builder needs to be blocking off structures, and making things quicker for allies, whereas the knight needs to be the builder’s personal bodyguard, making sure no harm befalls him. Remember builder, your job is to make things as fluid as possible for your team and as slow as possible for the opposition.

Benefits:
    For the Knight-
    No real combat advantage, other than better structures to launch yourself off. Remember, by guarding the builder you are making more difference for the team than anyone that simply charges, kills, and dies.

For the Builder-
    - Defence: If your knight is good enough, you now have relative freedom to build in the enemy lines, making life hell in their base. Having a dedicated partner is necessary though, as some knights occasionally run off as they see something shiny…

That is the Knight-Builder combination, an effective partnership when fluidity is lacking or a stalemate has set in.

Finally, the Knight-Knight combination. Whilst you are the same class and thus have the same limitations, it can often be worthwhile to have another slashing machine with you. If you can communicate well enough, there are a few techniques that work incredibly well.

Techniques:
    Charging- If one of you hangs back ever so slightly from the other, you can effectively counter-attack against any charge, leaving your enemies surprised and helpless.
    Ganging- More often than not, 2 knights will defeat 1 knight. Stick together to utilise this fact most effectively
    Wall-Boosting- Simply aiming your shield up and jumping beneath them can make all the difference in whether your partner makes it up the wall. Be nice, wall-scrambling is fun.
    Keg-Conveying- It’s a whole lot easier to get a keg to the enemy base if you have a dedicated bodyguard.
    Avoid Bomb-Jumping- Whilst it is great fun, only bomb-jump if you’re both doing it and are both successful as this can separate you, leaving you on your own.

There are many other teamwork-based things you can do as a partnership, so I leave you with this principle: share. Share mats, share bombs, share knowledge and share communication. You will be more effective and have more fun by doing so.

2. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Well done again!

Though, you can add some more combos... Knight/Builder/Archer and other groups of three? :wink:

3. Souji_ToxicSword12

Souji_ToxicSword12 Catapult Fodder

Oh
    Oh Ricket stahp it ;)

4. Ricket

The power of... TWO

Souji_ToxicSword12 likes this.
  5. Souji_ToxicSword12

<3
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 30, 2014 ---
    We need to play together more often. :)

6. Ricket

We do! I'm free erry night, after about 5, so just send me a message if you're on!

7. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I upvoted for the use of "smithereens".

Ricket likes this.
  8. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

All my yes. #SOLORECKERs are all well and good, but we need more teamwork in this game.

Double win if you make teamwork-related puns while destroying everyone:
    "It seems like we were two much for you, hohoho!"

9. Ricket

Essentially: Imagine TJ and Gurin working together.
    Game broken. Everyone quits.

Jedi13 likes this.
  10. Souji_ToxicSword12

Thats the thing though even tj admits that he has 0 teamwork x_x

11. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Suddenly - Army of Two references.

If only players were coordinated in games now, huh?

12. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Aegis + Gurin = Rape train.
    Good job on this one, I can see this being used more on public servers rather than on clan matches. Your first guide was more useful on clan matches than on public servers. Nice one :wink:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  13. Ricket

Yeah, it's pretty easy/fun to say "hey archer, let's be friends"

14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Teaming up also leads to some pretty epic moments where you're doing your best to intercept a bomb snipe to your archer bro. Teaming up also leads to moments of insane knight rage when your archer bro dies.
    Also a tip, voice chat with said archer bro. It's hella easier to say "arrow ladder me up bro" than it is to type "arrow ladder" in the middle of combat.

15. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

It also increases your support levels, allowing you to do dual strikes more often. Then at S rank you get married.

16. Ricket

Someone needs to show me how to actually use mumble :rollseyes:

17. Souji_ToxicSword12

Lol I'll help I'll be free next weekend xD

18. Ricket

Awesome :smug:
    --- Double Post Merged, May 2, 2014, Original Post Date: May 2, 2014 ---
    Any Requests for other guides? I was going to do a guide on advanced kegging, but it may be a tad lame/already covered

19. Yantex

Yantex :^)) Donator
    1. Angels of Death - [AoD]

Try making a Solo Knight guide, I've seen Gurin play and damn ...

meaow likes this.
  20. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

I could make it, give me a few days.

zerd likes this.