1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1120][Guide] Scaling

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Ricket, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Ricket

Ricket Shipwright Staff Alumni
    1. Ethereal Legion- ETHER

Solo Cheekiness: Scaling

Hi guys, Ricket here. I finally decided to do the second part of this guide to hopefully provide some insight into how to crack open more heavily defended bases. This is especially relevant as with the 3 minutes build time in CTF it is a LOT easier to reinforce your base, although in smaller games rushing can still be a useful trick.

The difference between a tower that can be rushed and one that requires more effort is access: if you don’t have immediate access to the blocks around the flag then you require some more finesse to get to that juicy little flag. A good example of this is if there are spikes or traps at the front of the flag, and a wall to stop you from simply jumping up onto it, thus denying you access from two sides.

Once you’ve bought yourself some time by killing all enemies, or at least making them scamper, you need to find a way of getting past their crenulations.

Bombs- If I convey one tip to you throughout all my guides, ever, it is: LRN2BOMBJUMP. There are countless guides out there and it’s really not too hard once you get the hang of it. If the tower is too high, double bomb jump. Simples. (I suggest going to TTH to practice: free bombs!)
    Further, learn how to wall climb as knight, even though platform overhangs make this largely irrelevant on a good tower. A combination of these two skills can get you almost anywhere, including over the pesky tower in your way.

Tramps- You’re bored, sitting around in the build phase as knight trying to wall climb off the red. You know you should be helping your team, but you can’t be bothered. In this time, you should take it upon yourself to make two things: a trampoline and a drill. If you get the mechanics of tramps down, you can simply vault their tower and drill in, grab the Holy Grail and giggle as you run back to base. Simple, right?
    Apparently not. You would be surprised by the amount of nubs who just sit around in the build phase, waiting to simply walk out onto the glory of the battlefield and jab chickens to death. Cri.

Once atop their flag shelter, either whip out your drill, your bombs or your boulder and get to work. Better yet, politely invite a builder to come help you out. “OI STEVDOG, GIT OVA HERE”.

If by chance you have none of these items and Stevedog isn’t playing, look around for some shops, any kind really. Even if this means you changing to builder and holing yourself up above their base, go for it. Archer can be cool too, just switch, grab a bomb arrow and either bring the tower down (probably a good idea to find out how backwalling works) or the flag shelter. Your choice. Rinse and repeat for great success errytiem.

By the way, if you think you’re about to be killed, always throw the flag towards your team, because you might just get lucky and someone will grab it.

All of these tips I have gained either by pure experience, or by Gurin reking me with them, so you can know that they are both super effective but also fun. Just remember, CTF is about the flag, not your Kill Death Ratio.

Defence: “So, how can I defend against this scourge of bomb jumpin’, drill totin’, archer rekin’ mongrels?” asks the conscientious builder.

Well sometimes there isn’t a lot you can do. However, tall towers (Cammmm) supported by good backwalls stop even Gurin (you should hear him on Mumble), but they must have platform over hangs. No one can wall jump up them, and if you put them out of sword reach they’re basically the best thing for stopping baddies.
    Another good mechanism for stopping climbers is spikes. Not simple spikes on stone, no. Instead place a single wooden block on the outside of your tower, put a spike on it, put two trap blocks above and below it and then you’re done! Anyone who tries to climb with get stabbed, lose a heart AND get stunned, thus causing them to fall back down again, thus saving stone whilst still being incredibly effective.

If you have the time, make your walls into towers, by placing blocks on the other side, thus barring access and making it a lot harder to bring down.

Finally, the simplest solution to pesky knights is to simply make them fight other knights. The aforementioned tips and tricks are far more difficult to execute if you are under pressure from a knight, so endeavour to always get your knights on the front lines, whether this is through tunnels or tramp cannons.

So a few things to remember: (tl;dr)

- Learn how to bomb-jump and how to wall-climb.

- Use trampolines.

- Try to bring down towers to make life easier for your teammates

- Drills are grouse.

Cheers

valtzu, NinjaCell, Malitha and 3 others like this.
  2. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Good Guide, its always best to use your bombs to bring down an enemy's tower than to use them for kills. CTF is about getting the flag, not getting the kills.

I find it's best to bombjump over a tower and then destroy it from behind, as you are able to destroy the back wall at the same time.
    Any 1 block thick tower with 2 or less blocks of backwall will fall easily.

Also if you can't get over a tower with a bombjump, then double bombjump. If its still too high, LRN2TRIPLEBOMBJUMP. You might never use it, or usually die in the attempt, but you feel like a god whenever you pull it off.