1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1239] A more efficient way of scaling towers

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Rocketlock, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Rocketlock

Rocketlock Shipwright

Ladders do the job when it comes to scaling towers and defenses, however there are alternative methods which provide certain benefits. Platforms, I have found scale towers much more efficiently. Although they are twice the price of a ladder, they have many more hit points, are tedious to get rid of and are often still there by the time you respawn and return to the tower.

Lets say a 25 block high wall has been scaled with 250 wood worth of ladders. with a price 10 wood per ladder they could have built 25 ladders, enough to completely scale the wall (they probably wouldn't need all 250). With the same amount of wood, you would be able to scale the same tower with platforms, leaving one space between each. 250 wood is very achievable from spawn, you spawn with 100 wood and one tree would more than suffice.

I did some field tests and found that it took myself, a moderately skilled builder 22 seconds to clear 23 ladders (with no errors) from a wall, while platforms took 43 seconds (again no errors). With a knight it would take less time with slashes to clear out the ladders. In 23 seconds, there is not enough time to respawn and continue siege, however you can respawn, and continue scaling a tower easily with 43 seconds. Clearing platforms is far more tedious in general and although it does require more wood, I would argue that the cost is outweighed by the amount of effort the enemy must then put into removing the platforms.

2. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

I am just putting this out there, sometimes platforms can be tedious to scale.

But I do agree with you this is a good idea for towers, but I find trap blocks the best way to scale a tower anyday.