1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

1x2 hitbox for crouching archers

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by kodysch, Aug 18, 2014.

?

Change to 1x2 hitbox while crouched

1. yes

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

When you crouch as an archer your hitbox stays the same. I think it should be changed to 1x2 to match how an archer looks while crouched.

2. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

This has been suggested before right? But no one ever commented on it so..I guess it's back again ::D:
    Well I think this is a neat little feature due to it not affecting combat v knight/builder. I'm with this idea. Also its a pretty logical feature considering hit-boxes.::):

3. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

This is such a great idea, it will be so useful when dodging arrows and other neat ideas I have in mind...

norill likes this.
  4. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

It makes no sense the way it is right now, your hitbox should always match the sprite as closely as possible.

It also leads newbies to thinking that crouching actually does help, and then they yell "HAX" when I shoot their ghost-hitbox.

DatNobby likes this.
  5. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

seems like a good idea, considering i already see archers trying to crouch down and avoid arrows

6. i thought about that yesterday. remember that this will allow archers to squeeze through 1 tile horizontal gaps - which is quite a buff. but i think it would make things more interesting

SirDangalang and Anonymuse like this.
  7. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Goddamnit norill, I was hoping no one would think of that.
    (now my days of being a creepy slug archer are forever doomed... :QQ:)

8. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

I've always wondered why your hitbox stays the same.

9. here is your answer: because changing it would require effort. all players' hitboxes are circles - you cant have 1x2 circle and engine doesnt provide ellipses. it would have to switch between circle when standing and rectangle when crouching

zerd likes this.
  10. kodysch

Can it be done with out to much effort?

12. kodysch

I used the word much to get a gauge of the level of difficulty required, differentiating my question from others.

13. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

How about this:
    Have it be where you can't grapple while prone. Just add in a flag or option or something for modders, so they can put back the archer-slide if they feel so inclined.

14. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

personally i'd find archers sliding through one block gaps interesting, and would allow for some creative buildings

Anonymuse and Dargona1018 like this.
  15. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

And hilarious, don't forget. Especially when doing the drooling face like you have some kind of "disorder".

16. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

i can already imagine an archer grabbing a body and sliding around, snickering at the enemy passing by

Dargona1018 and Anonymuse like this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Man, the use of "hitbox" with relation to KAG has to be the single most misinformed, repeatedly discussed thing in the history of the game.

There's no "hitbox" - theres a single physical shape used for collision, hit detection, point overlap checks, etc. While this isn't great (and it's something we've worked around in trench run with specific, custom hitting code) it's not something that we can change in KAG at this point without hundreds of points in the code (everywhere to do with hitting) needing to be changed and re-tested - that'd be thousands of lines of code adjusted, and tens of hours of testing just so that archers get hit less when crouching. It "should" be that way, but it won't be.

Changing the physical shape has been shown to behave very strangely with box2d's mass system, as well, so turning them into an 8x8 or 12x12 circle isn't an option either - something might be able to be done with adding/removing polygon shapes but then the actor's circle shape wouldn't actually be a circle -> would handle badly with tile interactions.

SirDangalang and Yagger like this.
  18. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Well...

Shit.

19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The ol' 1 tile platform at the bottom of a building would allow archers to James Bond under it when exiting the base. I love the idea XD.

On man, crouch sliding megaman classic style. I wouldn't mind seeing this added and getting it tested out.

20. BillyWeedman

BillyWeedman Haxor

It could also be a good way to avoid frag damage from bombs.. you know archers hate them :skull:

Mods: Rainbows