1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] bunker!

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by NigerV2, Nov 26, 2011.

1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Really like your tower, Darksteel. I'll have to try it out myself! :)

Love it. Just love it. Simple and elegant. :)

2. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

3. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Hohoho! Yes this is a very effective augmentation, one which I've actually been using for awhile; gets those knights every time:
    [​IMG]

If I decide to stay and upgrade my defense after warm-up, this is what I usually end up with:
    [​IMG]

The overhang is a neat archer nest design that Geti and I have devised, and the wall behind the trap bunker is to keep the pesky bomb-jumpers at bay, combined with a inconspicuous, 4 deep, spike pit.

OH! Also, this bunker design which I posted earlier is incorrect. The bunker space should only be 2 deep, but 3 wide, so that archers can move back to allow the sniping door to close. The correct bunker should look like this:
    [​IMG]

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sure. Schematics would be great.

5. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

First off, dig a four by four hole like so,
    part 1.png
    second line the hole with castle wall to stop those pesky knights getting in, and fill it with team bridge.
    part 2.png
    3rd step is to begin the foundation of the jump tower, build stone blocks at the edge of your hole and place another on top of them, follow that up with a team door.
    part 3.png
    4th thing you do is fill the 8 open spots with team bridge like so...
    part 4.png
    now, place a stone above the team door, and one next to it, then fill the empty spots in the midlle with team bridge... repeat until you get it as high as you want.
    part 5.png
    now, your dark tower is ready to take down all incoming enemies, like so...
    Dark Tower.png
    I'm not sure I should have posted this here, but it Is A varient of the bunker so...

6. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

Heh, ya. I figured that one out. You can either go back one extra Team Bridge space (3 Wide) or you can go deeper one Team Bridge space (3 Deep). Either works depending on the natural geological situation.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Very interesting structure and at first I wouldn't know how to approach it even unmanned, but with some practice I can tell you now that it is very doable in 2 lives, and in 1 if I have a bomb. Manned however is another story, but with more practice jumping 2 tall into Acavado's it shouldn't be that hard, you just need to get past the first archer nest without getting ganged by top and forward, then it's as simple as bombing the door for a notch, or bombing the bottom of that pit and digging through (the former being better), people who don't know how to climb Acavado's, (or bomb jump cause that could also work) will be hard pressed getting through this though. May also want to extend backwall on the top right archer nest, as with one slashed backwall and one bomb that whole top piece will fall, and if it doesn't look like I'll go threw I'd much rather do that. (If you stand near the door and shield up you should be able to break the stone underneath, part of the door (it'll fall either way) and the backwall though.

This isn't an inherent problem with the structure however, it's a problem with the risk associated with a doorless archer-structure, perhaps including a little more into that acavado hallway or turning it into a 'spiked hallway' would delay the person going up enough for an archer to kill them, since all it would take is one fully charged shot.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Acavado like this.
  8. FuzzyBlueBaron

A 'spiked hallway' with murder holes in the roof would make it, well, murder.

Noburu and BlueLuigi like this.
  9. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Just had an amazing game involving bunkers. We were winning by some 40 lives.
    Then this happened;

[​IMG]

And suddenly, we were losing. The horde of knights charged ahead, directly into it's maw, either jumping into the acavado or being cut down by chrabeusz's pillbox bunker. I myself was an archer, and charged past the first row only to encounter the knights, so fell back. I then died to the cata taking out our counter fort, but it was up for the trench to be made. I believe this to be original, although I've seen others (SCV) postulating such ideas before. This is my first time seeing it in practice.

I can't overstate how effective it was.

FuzzyBlueBaron, BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.
  10. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

It's amazing how readily knights will throw themselves at those death bunkers.

Beef likes this.
  11. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

It is so entertaining to follow and read how players find out tips and tricks, put them into practice and possibly change how the game will be played little by little in each and every build. People would probably have never thought to do stuff lke this a few versions back. Its like a advanced study in gamer behavior.

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I've taken to using what I call the `Shark`, something me and Clazy have been working on after reading one of Acavado's posts and streamlining it. It's hilarious because it's basically a hidden cata like that, but it's very easy to hit or steal, yet no one seems to ever do it, except you, you cata stealing >:(

Anyway, I think it works nicely, and if you add in a door it works out too, preloaded catas and rush at front work nicely, you can basically add it as part of any structure ,I love them high up, and if you do it right it tempts bombjumpers to land on your platform only to be basically shotgunned right in the face with stone. The only problem is ever leaving it alone, you don't want to do that with enemies possibly near it, I've been trying to come up with a cheap way of making a forward structure out of it, that'll come soon.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Beef and Noburu like this.
  13. Dharven

Dharven Builder Stabber

So I was messing around in sandbox and made this simple bunker. The new lighting engine would definitely serve a structure like this well. Archers would have general domain over the battlefield and wouldn't have to be afraid of knights, since the structure is completely walled in. The only problem is that a tunnel is needed to get to it, and there seems to be a general hatred for tunnels on these forums. I'm wondering if it's even viable in an actual game. Anyways, feedback is appreciated.
    screen-12-03-03-15-36-51.png

Acavado likes this.
  14. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

looks good
    needs reinforcement tho, 1 bomb can mess up their day.
    2 block thick stone maybe?
    entrace is a hidden tunnel with team doors every 2 blocks.

15. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Nice and simplistic.
    Mabye have an underground quaters/arrow workshop?
    And spikes on the roof would be handy, provided you put a few team-bridges over them.

16. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

This thread is very similar to [203] bunker! thread. However, in this build you don't have to use bridges to "hide" anymore. This could be interesting. I suggest anyone that has an idea for something to add on to this looking at the linked thread first.

17. Jackal

Jackal Shark Slayer

I call it a pillbox, and I stash archers inside of it to sell on the streets. Anywho, I also came up with a similar design, except mine sacrifices safety for ease of building. I like it, though.

18. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

The duece? Who spoke ill of tunnels? My clan exists because of tunnels. You show me a man who hates tunnels and I'll show you a fool with a black eye!

19. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

The concept is very interesting. However, I think there are a some problems with it.
    Firstly, have you tried to shoot through that window? I am not sure if it is possible to make horizontal shots from that position, only at 30-45 degrees. Besides, a simple block placed by a builder in front of the window can ruin such a complex construction. And that's not good because the building itself is not a practical one to build. The resource cost is acceptable - below the one of an average tower. But the tunnel is the main concern. It would be of no use if the entrance to the tunnel is near the bunker, because it is not supposed to block enemy access. Therefore, a long tunnel is needed, which means way too much time wasted. A wall could be built on the top, but no more than 2 bombs are required to break into the archer room and go under the wall.
    The best application for this I can think of is, while attacking, to turn enemy spike pits into this bunkers. This way it would be the enemy the one who wasted time to dig, and you can simply put a few stone blocks above it and enjoy. Moreover, as most minecrafters build several spike pits together, you can connect them all with little effort and make only one entrance in the one further from their base.
    I hope this is helpful.

20. Dharven

Dharven Builder Stabber

Now that I think about it, it's probably more effective and also easier to build if you go with a 6 wide instead of an 8 wide. I don't know if I would recommend 4 though.

But yeah, it's just a simple design and anything can be added on or around it that corresponds to the builder's tastes. Thanks for the feedback guys. :)