1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Devil's Basin

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Wyeth, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

A small straight forward structure that I like to use. Jumping directly over the gap to reach the door will normally cause enemies to get hit and fall down into the pit (and get hit again). The way to get in is to first drop down into the put (on the trap bridge) and then jump upwards into the door. I caught a lot of enemies in this, since they seem to be unable to comprehend that they cannot touch the door without entering certain death.

devils_basin.png

Easy to build and a perfect iteration to a Linepiece.

Acavado and BlueLuigi like this.
  2. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I particularly like how the spike is just dark enough not to be noticed when zoomed out too much. Also, a question- If an allied teammate were to slide down from the trapdoor, would he get spiked? I'm at work, so I can't test this :)

Even if they could get spiked, one heart of damage might be worth it to collect all the money that'd be funneled in upon death of an enemy. Making the pit 3 tiles wide would allow looting with impunity, while risking an enemy not immediately falling on the spikes. This could be solved by placing spikes on the bridge, which would, on presence of the enemy, jump to the wall as the bridge folds. Inconclusively.

I'll test it out later. You've piqued my interest with this. As far as I'm concerned, the major failing of spikes is the inability to loot dropped cash/goods without placing yourself in a precarious position (in the bottom of a spike pit, with half health).

3. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

What about retreating allies who are running <--- ? They'll get spiked when jumping over.

4. Wyeth

Not if they drop down first. To get in safely you need to simply drop of the ledge into the pit (onto the trapbridge) and then jump up. People will normally figure that out quite quickly, also I wouldnt exactly build this everywhere where its not needed, but only on the very frontline where the castle is under heavy attack. If your temmates are not smart enough to handle it you can take the spikes away, just renders the structure a little less potent, but otherwise it works fine still.

5. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Well,I tried it out,if you keep holding jump key,when trying to get over,you throw yourself at spikes,so lagging,panicking or retarded allies will always spike themselves on retreat.

This construction makes a good,cheap airblade.(against catapulting knights,there is a door for an archer to finish them off)

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

the name seems grandiose

7. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Why not move the drawbridge two tiles higher?

8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Archer cover

9. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Then why not add a second piece of bridge?
    It's only ten wood extra.

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I didn't say a second bridge shouldn't be added :P

11. Wyeth

Actually its this way because before archers couldn't shoot through trap bridges prior to 203 and the screen is slightly outdated... will post a new one once I think about making the pic ingame. Oh also knights can sometimes destroy trap bridges from below when they time it just right or get lucky

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The first drawbridge where you have it now is still necessary, but one 2 tiles higher on the opposite side helps out as well, just be careful not to put a spike under it or anyone trying to get out will be spiked (allies). I use this very often.