1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Lack of skilled archers

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Wyeth, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silvershade10

silvershade10 Builder Stabber

I really don't understand what u mean

2. knightl

knightl Base Burner

this threads last post was 4th of march

its about build 203 which was a time of nerfed archers and isn't similar to archers nowdays

3. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

What he meant was that the build is outdated and has no relevance to the current build and changes.
    No post would be relevent to topic anymore.

4. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Well still, the lack of skill in archers is still rampant. The exact reasoning why Wyeth said they're unskilled in their inability to use structures to arrow spam is now the most goddamn prevalent problem in this game. It occurs far too much and is ridiculously annoying.

5. tur1sta

Then we shall fight in the shade!!!!!! :B):

Or in tunnels...

6. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Archers who learn to use the tunnels effectively can be even more deadly than those who arrow spam; with the current lighting engine, at least doubly so. I understand exactly how annoying arrow spam is, but there wouldn't seem to be a way around it without penalising massively the entirety of the rest of archerkind.
    Knights have an easy way around it as it is, unless those who are spamming are clever in their shots, in which case you can still counter it. Tunnels and shields are both incredibly useful.

thebonesauce likes this.
  7. tur1sta

I believe the way archers work right now fits the theme both tactically and mechanically. For those unaware, archers are always placed at the rear of the line to thin out the oncoming wave for the knights positioned in front of them. A rain of arrows would be a typical tactic. So, as annoying as it can be, it is very commonly effective tactic but it isn't economical since you consume more arrows than you would hit. since you get 5 gold per hit, 10 per kill. Especially when used properly. Charged shots would always take care of the shields if there is another archer standing next to you. :huh?: it's OP.

The lighting engine has turned me into an assassin at night and in the tunnels, I love it. :B):

But you're right, it's a difficult task to balance without penalizing the archers massively.

8. Hella

Wait. So, using a charged shot with another archer to help you take a guy down is OP?
    What if there is more than one person? What if this game were a team game! Then all this logic would be screwed! :QQ:

I get what you're trying to say though. ^_^
    Although it's difficult to nerf any class without complaints from the people who normally play it.

9. thebonesauce

My biggest issue is the 5+ archers spamming arrows with a knight to take out shields. It's a slaughterhouse and in my opinion, a weak tactic.

10. Hella

But to be a good archer you need to actually practice, just as you do with the other classes. If there are people inside a building that I can't get at as an archer, I normally switch to knight, and I am one of the worst knights you will ever see. I can still go in there and cause some trouble, because it's not to hard to do. The sheer abundance of terrible knights in the game show that it isn't a particularly difficult class to play, even if it takes effort to perfect things like the use of bombs.

The same applies for builders. Anyone can play as a builder, and they can have some use; it's preferable to have a builder in an assault alongside you, even if he isn't particularly good at that job. However, a builder who has experience is far more useful than one who doesn't, and that experience is gained through practice, just like a knight has to practice with their bombs.

Now, saying an archer requires no practice is entirely unjustified. Yes, anyone can pick up the bow and spam arrows in a group, but if you want to be a good archer, then you need to practice a lot, just like with building and bombs. I would bet that if you just picked up a bow, you wouldn't be able to get an arrow through an archer slot that is off screen. Someone who has practiced as an archer is better than someone who hasn't, period. Yes, they can still spam arrows, just like every other class still has the capability to use simple and effective tactics; this doesn't mean that they simply require little skill.

Basically, I'm agreeing that archers require 0 skill. I'm just going further, and saying that, actually, yes, all the classes require 0 skill. However, if you want to be good at that particular class, then skill is, in fact, required.

Havoc, Kouji, Raron and 1 other person like this.
  11. PlasmaBunny

PlasmaBunny Catapult Fodder

I admit to being a baaaaaad archer :D but thats because im not use to how you fire in this game
    instead of gravity/power you get 3 settings low medium and high tis confusing to me

12. thebonesauce

I've been really against archers my entire KAG career, but I've really been trying lately to become an adequate archer. I'll play on public servers to get some practice like Beo's and others. It's frustrating, especially because when you get used to the arcs and stuff, it's a little too easy. Same with arrow spam. I've had dozens of people argue with me that arrow spam is a, "legitimate tactic," and requires good hand/eye coordination... In reality, all it takes is the right rhythm. Hold click for like half a second, let go, half second, let go, half second, let go. Wash, rinse, repeat.

13. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

I like the general idea of arrow spam which is, I assume, that as the arrow falls from a higher height gravity makes it hit harder. But making it deal additional damage if you're above the target, no matter how much higher you are, is kind of crazy. There should be a specific height where arrows deal the extra .5 hearts on a target, high enough that you cant jump from tree to tree like tarzan and spam 1 heart weak arrows like a maniac, but low enough so that you can spam 1h arrows at the base of a standard tower so don't nerf it to oblivion.. Heck, you could probably even differentiate the damage so you deal 1 heart above no matter what for a weak arrow to a builder/archer but only one heart when, for example, 10 tiles above a knight. That would be pretty fair ;o

14. Hella

Arrow spam is just the process of spewing a metric shitload of arrows from ones person into the bodies of ones enemies, often from a close range. Gravity has nothing to do with it, and, in fact, I don't think gravity has anything in particular to do with the strength of ones shot. :p

15. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

But it does ;o

A weak arrow deals .5 damage and 1 damage if you're above an opponent which I assume is because of gravity. Kinda like the good ol' watermelon and basketball experiment in highschool

I guess I should add the caveat that more diagonal shots from above sometimes don't deal the extra damage.

Edit: Yea, and jak is right about that too. it is pretty evident shooting at a very high sky bridge from below that gravity does effect the power of arrows, as a full power shot from below sometimes won't penetrate a trap bridge if it's high enough.

Edit part deux: I guess it was preemptive of me to assume that people complaining about arrow spam were immediately referring to its additional damage on height, but I just guessed that no one would really care about the spam if it only did .5 damage as a medium shot essentially does the same amount for the same amount of time spent drawing the arrow (maybe less?)

16. Jak_E

Jak_E Haxor

When firing up at someone or arcing a shot, if the arrow reaches the peak of the arc and starts falling it will do less damage if it hits someone if it doesn't fall for very longin my experience. This has happened to me with fully charged shots when firing at people on sky bridges. The arrow also travels a little bit slower, so if not gravity arrow speed defiantly has something to do with damage and gravity definantly affects arrow speed.

17. Hella

As far as I understand, arrows lose velocity the further I travel; I'm a bit shakey on the actual damage values, but I mean to say that I'm pretty sure that gravity only affects the arc of the shot. To be honest, it would be best if someone who's done the research could check this, and I may very well check tomorrow. ^_^

Let's solve this mystery, once and for all!

GHOZT likes this.
  18. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

I'm 1000000% sure it effects damage. Simple test is play as archer for like 30 minutes and pay attention to the damage values. Shoot people under a tower and they melt like butter on the equator

19. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I should remove you from the archer kill squad if you don't even know that Hella. Seriously, shooting down causes 1 heart of damage, any half decent archer knows that. Fully charges shots also deal 1 heart of damage if they are shot horizontally enough or if they are shot up at someone right above you who at a certain distance away.

I guess you could consider that there is both gravity and drag. Gravity speeds arrows up if they are headed down and it slows them down if they are headed up. The drag prevents arrows from going past 1 heart of damage. I'm not sure if these are either really coded into the game as far as arrows go, but you can at least treat it like it is.

TLDR: Shooting arrows down does cause 1 heart of damage, as any decent archer who isn't Hella would know.

20. Hella

You don't need to be mean about it. :QQ:
    A good soldier doesn't ask questions about this sort of thing, they just shoot the damn arrows and get on with stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.