1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Spiked Hallway

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Dallas-13, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dallas-13

Dallas-13 Shopkeep Stealer

Here's my take on a hallway. Not sure if anyone else has come up with this idea but I've never seen this in game or on the forums. This can be built of any length but it should always have the team door equal with the bottom layer of trapdoors. For this picture, I didn't include a stone background but it is preferred as it will hide the spikes from your enemy until it is too late (hopefully). You could also dig deeper and put spikes beneath the bottom layer of trapdoors to provide even more pain. :) The only problem with this build would be repairs. Enemy builders will make short work of this trap and as such a good supply of wood will be needed to maintain any damage it receives.

Hall of Death.JPG

2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah it's just acavado spikes and an up+down hallway, but I like the idea. Makes it harder to evade, but the issue becomes cost VS efficency. Them team doors are cheap like my mother. Meaning they aren't cheap at all.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Not bad!

A suggestion to improve it would be to replace the floor trapbridges on the right hand side (circled in red below) with spikes. This makes the floor dangerous to enemies trying to avoid the acavado spikes, gives them something to land on if they're knocked back by defenders, and uses less wood:

Untitled.png

If this were in a tunnel and was missing the front door (unnecessary) it could stymie enemy knights handily!

sj67, Dallas-13, Noburu and 2 others like this.
  4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Keep an archer at the end and do what Fuzzy Blue said, then make a top entrance about 5-8 tiles up to avoid the entire thing for knights. It'll tempt stupid knights to walk right through while archers rape their faces.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  5. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Suggestions for improvement:

Spiked Hallway_Wyethfix.png

1. Ladders, don't forget them, archers will thank you for it and its always an advantage for the knight to have multiple attack ways (below if no enemies are present for fast travel and above while under siege).
    2. The "nose" doesn't need to be made entirely of stone, just adds a lot of cost and its really not that useful. If the enemy is laddering over it (which is likely to happen) all those stones didn't really help. Bomb jumpers can still get over this height easy and if you are scared of your structure getting bombed, if the knights are good enough to explode one hole in it they are good enough to bomb two holes in it aswell and it would be broken (best case scenario: he throws a bomb, times it right, creates a gap, second bomb flies into the gap, third one the same -> tower down, but that is seriously skillful).
    Integrity wise the nose I suggest here has 3 lines aswell, yes ladders count as support aswell. Its just easier to break from YOUR side. As of why I left the topmost ladder out, some skilled archers like to charge on the ladder and jump out of cover, shoot while airborne and fall back on the ladder again, this only works if the ladder is not too far up so that they can actually slip in & out of cover.
    3. First & Last teambridges are not really necessary, how would they ever jump into the first one? they can reach the door from below easily and aftr destroying the lower part they can simply stand in the gap and destroy the upwards one. If they get knocked back or anything of the sort they will always fly into the next pair of spikes and mostly not into the first.
    The last one is kinda similar in the reasoning, they will most likely not stand around on the far right and jump up. For the sake of material savings I would remove both.
    4. The idea of bluebaron is solid. Spikes are cheap and you can not fall into these as long as enemies are not around. They add another obstacle for the cautious invader.
    5. Acavado instead of doors. Or even leave them free instead of doors. The traps should take a good deal to get over and you actually want the enemies to try to get into your trap. Placing a door in the front is not needed. With the second pathway for knight (over the nose) you can easily get around the structure even while its under attack. So the back door is enough I believe.

Optional parts: The floor spikes can be switched in order. So either Spike - Trapbridge or Trapbridge - Spike (this is the one shown in my pic) , both is good for different reasons.

Material saved (counting the changes applied to your structure since my example is notably smaller):
    - 6 Trap bridges + 1 Trap bridge (used for the front door): - 100 wood
    - 2 team doors: - 60 wood
    - 2 spikes + 5 spikes: + 30 stone
    - 10 castle wall + 10 castle backwall: -80 stone
    + 7 ladders: + 14 wood
    ================================
    -144 wood / - 50 stone

So you would be saving quite a bit of wood and some stone, while making the structure in all more effective I believe.

One additional note : If you have archers crawling up the thing add this on the top of the nose as an overhang:
    ###[​IMG][​IMG]
    ###[​IMG][​IMG]
    ###

# = your nose

6. Dallas-13

Dallas-13 Shopkeep Stealer

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)
    Like Klokinator said, it is very costly and something one would build in the beginning of the match (or at a safe location) even with the cost cutting suggestions. The spike in place of one of the trapdoors is a great idea FuzzyBlueBaron. I was trying to figure out a way to include spikes in the bottom layer in an efficient way.

I hadn't put much thought into the nose before Wyeth. Generally when I'm playing I usually make a simple stone front with some trapdoors for archers and knights to climb. Your way is much more cost efficient and I'll probably use it for other buildings I make. :) I also like your change to the front door. Since the idea is to let the enemy die inside the structure, it makes much more sense than using a door.

7. Looks deadly :D!!!